Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Firetail, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Does it exist Virtual Keyboard in OS4.1?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Belxjander

Possibly if the softkeyboard screen don’t have any windows, it possible that other program windows won’t be made inactive, but then the mouse information has to be taken from AmigaInput, and also need to know what window is top of each other, And also need to cycle the screen without cycling the top screen.

Maybe there is a way to mute the mouse clicks by patch so Intuition only knows what you allow it to know, this is what I’m thinking, but I don’t think it’s possible.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I need to put this out of its misery. Look up "toolbox windows" (WA_ToolBox IIRC).

Also KeyShow already does this so I don't see the need to expend any effort on it. Typing on a virtual keyboard using a mouse is not a pleasant experience, and even on a touch-screen it isn't great.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Yes, the OpenWindowTagList tag WA_ToolBox is a way to circumvent the deactivation problem. Should also work in Reaction windows.

Marko

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Also KeyShow already does this so

In that case WA_ToolBox does not work.

I have been testing this on NetSurf URL text box, to see if the cursor stays in text box window, and it does not.

What WA_ToolBox, does is not 100% what you wont, it does not allow IDCMP_BUTTONS, they do not work, also if a WA_ToolBox Window is on top of other windows, then its like window is transparent, all the mouse clicks ends up on any window below the WA_ToolBox window, this is confusing.

Quote:
I don't see the need to expend any effort on it

Only to make some thing that works better then Keyshow, I can agree that it makes no sense if keyshow will be fixed, and improved.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/10/25 15:22:11
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
In that case WA_ToolBox does not work.

I have been testing this on NetSurf URL text box, to see if the cursor stays in text box window, and it does not.

That sounds like clicking in the ToolBox window is deactivating the other one momentarily, which is wrong. It's probably worth raising it on the official forums so it get fixed.

Quote:
also if a WA_ToolBox Window is on top of other windows, then its like window is transparent, all the mouse clicks ends up on any window below the WA_ToolBox window, this is confusing.

Really? Maybe the click is going through to somewhere else on NetSurf's window, which is what is causing the URL string gadget to become inactive.

Either way there's something wrong there so it needs to be reported properly.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
or, having the virtual-keyboard "always on top"
is this possible?

Sam460ex 2GB 120Gb SSD&1Tb HD7750 Envy24HT A-Eon Drv 2.10+Warp3D New Uboot
Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I believe (I don´t know for sure yet) that KeyShow would do the trick, if it would consume the mouse click into its window.

MUI & ReAction interprete a mouse click outside the layout or gadget bounds as "deactivate that particular gadget and don´t accept an input". If there is no mouse click event, there is no deactivation.

I think that´s the reason why it does work for some programs (Shell, Calculator), but not for MUI/RA gadgets.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@noXLar

Yes there is a WA_StayTop flag.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/11/1 23:58:42
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

WA_ToolBox is the easiste solution as stated by Chris, when clicking on a WA_ToolBox window the focus is automatically returned to the original active window.

@CHris
Quote:

That sounds like clicking in the ToolBox window is deactivating the other one momentarily, which is wrong. It's probably worth raising it on the official forums so it get fixed.

It's not 'wrong', that's how it works, there is documentation to that effect in the autodos.

How ever if the focus does not return to the active gadget, more must be needed. And it seems this is also the case with KeyShow.

The full solution probably will require a commodity which can capture mouse events, and based on their position insert raw key events into the input stream.

Quote:

also if a WA_ToolBox Window is on top of other windows, then its like window is transparent, all the mouse clicks ends up on any window below the WA_ToolBox window, this is confusing.

This certainly doesn't happen with SketchBlock.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@noXLar

Here is a tech demo for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69645023/vkeyboard.lha

Most of features we taked about is implemented.

* Scaleable windows.
* Switch between public screens.
* Iconify.
* StayOnTop.

The kayboard is working but its not 100% completed yet, some work need to replace text on buttons with real keycode text, some work implementing SHIFT, CTRL, ALT, A Keys so they work correct, as switch not a button.

Because Wa_ToolBox is working badly I recommend that we send text strings to clipboard, what do you think?

(Anyway there is no prefect way to handle virtual keyboards on AmigaOS.)

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

Man, your fast.. i love too try it out, but right now I'm not home, I'm at work in the north sea with bad weather. In two weeks i would be happy too try, and of course pay som kr for your efforts.

what i would love to see in this vkeyboard, is transparent glass like background.

Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
How ever if the focus does not return to the active gadget, more must be needed. And it seems this is also the case with KeyShow.

I can type in internal text fields in NetSurf using KeyShow, so I guess string.gadget gets deactivated when the window becomes inactive, and doesn't get focus back when the window is reactivated - which seems wrong.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@noXLar

Quote:
Man, your fast..

Well it has taken about the time I estimated, I have not work continually on it.

Quote:
What i would love to see in this vkeyboard, is transparent glass like background.

It's easy to add a tooltype so you can adjust transparency of complete window.

"glass like background" well its easy to load some background image, and scale it, don't know if that's going to look as glass or not.

Quote:
and of course pay some kr for your efforts.

Yes, that's way I do it or else be doing some thing else

Anyway I the Tech demo is made so you decide if we should continue or not, considering issues we know about virtual keyboards like KeyShow. Or if we should take different approach (clipboard).

Resized Image

Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/11/2 19:55:25
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

a transparent background is probably best, and this is scalable also?
i won't be able too test this in about 2 weeks, but I'm happy you done something too have this available. . have anyone tested this? some pictures maybe?

Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

For transparency you should use a Alpha ClipRect, so that the background is transparent but not the lettering key details.
(Similar to amidock where the window is transparent but not the icons).

As to approach, neither keyshow approach nor clipboard approach but and input handler / commodity, that's the only way to do it properly.

I think you were right in your original estimation that to do it properly would take a bit of effort.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
For transparency you should use a Alpha ClipRect, so that the background is transparent but not the lettering key details. (Similar to amidock where the window is transparent but not the icons).

For Excalibur I used "WA_AlphaClips" this worked fine, because window did not resize. I wonted initially the icons to be none transparent and background transparent, but changing the alpha bitmap after the window was opened, did not work. And reapplying the alpha bitmap after words also did not work, there where some sort of graphical distortion.

How ever there is a "WA_AlphaHook" that might be possible to use to generate alpha map on the fly as it says in Autodocs, the only problem I do not know how to use it.

Quote:
but and input handler / commodity, that's the only way to do it properly.

If its possible to mute the mouse button input events, so that text gadget do not get deactivated then yes.

To just feed the raw keys to AmigaOS, its as simple as feeding it to input.device, done that before, but thats not the issue, the issue for the text gadget to stay active, when you press on virtual keyboard.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
I can type in internal text fields in NetSurf using KeyShow, so I guess string.gadget gets deactivated when the window becomes inactive, and doesn't get focus back when the window is reactivated - which seems wrong.

I think your right, I think the window is deactivated for few microseconds, even when your using Wa_ToolBox on Keyshow window.

vkeyboard also revived IDCMP_INACTIVATEWINDOW event when I tried used Wa_ToolBox = TRUE, clearly I should not restive IDCMP_INACTIVATEWINDOW, if the vkeyboard window has not been activated. I think IDCMP_ACTIVEWINDOW event is suppressed.

The WA_ToolBox is not worked as intended or we are using it for some thing it was not intended for.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
I think your right, I think the window is deactivated for few microseconds, even when your using Wa_ToolBox on Keyshow window.

That's by design, as Andy pointed out.

The problem is Reaction string gadgets don't regain focus. MUI is fine.

I've now reported it properly, as nobody else bothered. http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.b ... d=198&f=14&t=2673&start=0

Quote:
The WA_ToolBox is not worked as intended or we are using it for some thing it was not intended for.

There's nothing wrong with WA_ToolBox, it's a string.gadget bug, or maybe strgclass or even gadgetclass, or a missing feature in window.class or Intuition.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

You need to be very careful before describing this as a bug.

A straw sample of MUI apps do behave so as to reactivate the previously active gadget, but they also deactivate that gadget in differing ways, see the filter gadget in YAM for example.

This might be a useful window.class feature request to be added as an option, but I feel not as a work around for this problem.

I would restate my opinion that the *only* correct way to handle this virtual keyboard as as an an input handler / commodity. This is what commodities are for after all filtering and converting input events.

A virtual keyboard should be indistinguishable from a real keyboard to any application, so the virtual keyboard should not require any modifications to intuition to work.

I'm making these assertions based on my experiences working with my MKShare networked mouse and keyboard.

yes, this approach is more work, *but* I'd argue if falls into an area of the os that is closer to a input driver than an app.

Toobar Windows are for use within an application, where the coder knows what his application does.

Intially I would have suggested Toobar Window for this virtual keyboard but I've changed my mind and not just because of the string gadget thing. As a commodity / input handler you can have function keys that really work with lower priority commodities such as Allkeys Fkeys etc .

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@broadblues

Surely you will still be making the active window inactive momentarily, no matter how you are pushed the input events through?

Also this isn't only about KeyShow, but user expectations, and - ultimately - keyboard navigation.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »