Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

amigait, Lio, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Amiga OS4 audio system
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

It's seems that someone else contacted him in the past 15 days. I'll prefer to keep the conversations with him private at this moment.

I think Elwood is asking what software he wrote?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

Quote:

The components designed for modern audio operation - ASIO and VST - need to bypass/switch off the old and badly designed Windows audio system to do anything serious.

ASIO is low level driver system though, which is what I meant.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
What we do need to is more advanced driver system with support for more than stereo / 7.1 input out and which doesn't bind the inputs and outputs togther like AHI does. Then a system like Jack to wire it all togther.

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm talking about. Someting designed with independent audio streams and real-time operation in mind.

Okay, I'll sigh with relief then I had the feeling you asking for something like Pulse....

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
What i would like to see is recording of several inputs(multitrack record or what its called) so applications could have use of this. Also timestamps in buffer while recording so an app knows when or where it is in the record. For example recording from hardware synthesizers so apps like hd-rec can arrange all the recorded audio to sync. Like now i have to cut or move the several recorded audio tracks left/right to get them all in sync. Would save alot of time for the musician. And ofcourse other stuff but these are most important for at least me.

Sorry im not good in explaining.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
I think Elwood is asking what software he wrote?

Yes
I wonder what he did in the past that would make someone ask him about audio. I didn't find anything related.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kicko

Quote:

What i would like to see is recording of several inputs(multitrack record or what its called) so applications could have use of this.

Yes defineitely!

Quote:

Also timestamps in buffer while recording so an app knows when or where it is in the record. For example recording from hardware synthesizers so apps like hd-rec can arrange all the recorded audio to sync. Like now i have to cut or move the several recorded audio tracks left/right to get them all in sync. Would save alot of time for the musician. And ofcourse other stuff but these are most important for at least me.

HD-Rec is broken in this regard, timestamps in an audio stream wont really help (and I'm not sure how you would add them to a PCM stream without corrupting the stream) as the zero point will be different for each recording session and the reason your recordings are out of sync is that the latency of your intruments / soundcard has not been taken into account. That would still offset the timestamsp too. In Audio Evolution you can correctly calibrate for this (with a simple loop back recording of the metronome) you can't in HD-Rec.

[edit]
I have technique for adjusting in HDREC BTW as I record and playback via an extrenal mixer, for a brief perahsp 2 bar leadin I patch the output back inot the input so recording a short segment of the main song I'm overdubbing, then I press the mute on the feedback channel and record the guitar or vocal part. Then I can use the feed back to assist in lining up the audio. Fiddly but works. As I say you can precompensate for this in AE4.
[/edit]

Edited by broadblues on 2014/8/21 14:58:18
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Elwood

ARTAS.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Thanks. I forgot about ARTAS completely.
It was not easy to find some information about it. Here is the link I found.
The projcet was canceled so fast that I doubt a BeOS version was released.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I'd like to be able to play audio from multiple apps. Unless I've missed something you can't do this with AHI. Is there anything preventing new features being added to AHI?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rob

"I'd like to be able to play audio from multiple apps."

In most cases you can.
There are five units availble to AHI.
Music Unit, and units 0 to 3.

Unit zero should be the most common unit for use.
It will allow multiple programs to use it at once, up to the limit set in "channels" prefs for that unit. (most are preset at ten).

The "Music" unit is unique, and only one can be opened.
If you try two programs that both require the Music Unit, the second program to open it will fail.

Units 1-3 are not useful anymore, since unit zero can handle all of their traffic as well.

One possible problem when multiple programs are playing at once: Mixer only controls the master volume, it can not control the relative level between programs.

AHI is intended to support a separate volume control for each program.
Some programs don't bother to offer a user volume control, and expect the user to use Mixer instead. This is not useful when multiple programs are making sound at once. It also fails when the user chooses S/PDIF output, as the sound card usually has no control over the volume of a digital channel.

:)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LyleHaze

Quote:

Units 1-3 are not useful anymore, since unit zero can handle all of their traffic as well.

The purpose of units 1 to 3 is mainly if you have more than one sound cards/audio outputs and want to have some programs use a different one.

One practical use for this would be if you had bought a Skype phone to use with a VOIP client as you wouldn't then want other programs than your VOIP client to input/output sound from/to it.

Another use that doesn't require extra h/w would be if you wanted to redirect the output of a specific program to one of AHI's special audio drivers like the filesave one which writes audio output to a file.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rob

Set the "Music" unit to one of the "Unit 0" options.
Set "Unit 0" to one of the options for your sound card.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LyleHaze

I found some indications good in this thread, like the Joakim suggetion to collect some usuful routines and create a library.

Maybe when you will master the Xmos chip many other interesting audio functions can be created.

Retired
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)