Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

InstallerGen Beta Release
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I've just uploaded a beta version of InstallerGen to my website and it's now available for testing. InstallerGen is a GUI utility for creating installer scripts. I started it a couple of years ago but it lay neglected for quite a while on my hard drive until I decided to pick it up again recently.

It can be downloaded at: http://www.robthenerd.com/show.php?se ... nstallergen&page=download
Screenshots etc. are also available on the website. It is compiled for 68k / OS3.x, but works fine on OS4.1 and MorphOS.

InstallerGen requires MUI and NList.mcc, both of which I imagine most people have installed already.

Please note that it is a beta version, so there could well be bugs that I haven't fixed yet. So please check over any scripts you generate with InstallerGen before releasing them to the wild! Also, you should be a little bit familiar with the Installer utility and its capabilities to get the most out of InstallerGen.

There are still tweaks to be made here and there (no tabbing between fields, no control over default Installer behaviour regarding user experience level etc.), but it's fully working and useable.

You can send me any feedback you have here as a PM, or to my email address which is in the included guide file.

Thanks! :)

Go to top
Re: InstallerGen Beta Release
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Daedalus

Looks nice,
i generated a one step script that should create the drawer where to store the unpacked archive, but the drawer is not created
LaunchIt.Install:
Generated by InstallerGen!

(
complete 0)
(
set @app-name "LaunchIt")
(
set @default-dest "Stock:")
Chose_drawer
(set DrawerPath

(askdir

(prompt "Chose drawer to store the archive content\n A drawer called "LaunchIt_Drwer" will be created.")
    (
help @askdir-help)
    (default @default-
dest)
  )
)
(
set DrawerPath (tackon DrawerPath "LaunchIt_Drwer"))

(
complete 100)

LaunchIt.project (as saved)
InstallerGen
0.5beta
Chose_drawer
Chose drawer to store the archive content
DrawerPath
LaunchIt_Drwer

<<end of steps>>
LaunchIt
Launch Launchit
BareEd
:LaunchIt.install

Stock
:

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Thanks

The reason it's not creating the drawer is that the Installer utility normally creates the drawer as part of the copying process, so InstallerGen just sets the path in anticipation of that. If you add a file copy step to the project it should work as expected. Alternatively, you can use the "Create Drawer" step which will create a drawer without needing to copy files, but this isn't normally needed.

By the way, what you have might work fine, but you should really use the @default-dest standard variable as the variable for choosing where to install your package. Other names will work of course, but the Installer utility itself uses this for some internal things (such as the last step where it says "Installation complete. Your files can be found..."). If you use a different name, the last step will tell the user that it was installed in RAM: or Work: or something, even if it wasn't.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Right, I've just uploaded a new beta of InstallerGen, you can get it here!

Many bugfixes and changes here based on some feedback (thanks to those who helped test it) and my own experience using it. Important changes are:

- New step specifically for adding assigns to User-Startup so you don't need to use the messy "cat" command and User-Startup step type combination.
- Many new step types (get version info, check if a file exists, exit script, rename/delete files, make assign directly from script, etc.)
- Some fields now change their label depending on context so it is less confusing
- Quit warning requester
- Support for default / minimum user level
- Option to force confirmation from user on some steps
- Lots of other stuff...

Please note that the project file format has changed so you cannot load projects created with the 0.5beta version. Sorry about that!

I'd be very interested in hearing people's feedback on this version, as I reckon it's close to finished now. Also, if anyone would like to make an icon for the application itself I would be extremely grateful as I don't have the time / talent to do it myself. Any or all platforms (OS 3.x, OS4, MOS) would be wonderful!

Thanks guys!

Go to top

Register To Post