Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

smf, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 36 »
Re: BSzili port requests
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All

Has anyone considered tying BSzili to this forum so he won't leave until we get hardware rendering and 3D support so he can optimize, adapt and support games with those features???

...anyway, i brought a rope...

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@BSzili

[QUOTE]Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy could be a good choice. MiniGL is well optimized for the id Tech 3 engine, and they should be playable on Sams too with the graphics reduced.[/QUOTE]

One vote for me :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel
Oh no, you said the o-word! That's why I was a bit relucant to do the TORCS and SD ports, because I knew how demanding they are. For a lot of people the only reason any program can be slow is because it's not optimized. They don't care how CPU intensive it is, they just want it to work on the hardware they have. Well, it's part of the deal I guess.

@utri007
Again, I'm trying to play safe with these two. Altough they are first person shooters, the gravy is the lightsaber combat.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
BSzili, the link in your first post is dead...

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ddni

Yes, same here.

AmigaOne X5000 OS4.1 FEU1 And Lubuntu 10.04
1200 towered with Blizzard PPC - BVision and Mediator
And a new fantastic Chameleon64
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have spend quite much time to trying to found car/sport games. Seems that there is a lots of FPS games availlable, but no sport/car games. :(

Best free car game, possible to run with Sam 440ep would be Victory Road, but there is no sources/infos availlable. :(

Maybe author would answer questions? http://www.victory-road.co.uk/

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@utri007

Also I would love to see some nice sports car game for NG Amigas.

Perhaps there should be some startup to build a new car game (by the community), without any too heavy GFX engine (with modularity one could use different (GFX and physics) engine on different CPU+GPU performance).

(The problem in ported games is that the core is built for 2Ghz+ CPUs + 3GB RAM and therefore they are highly inefficient and slow.)

Perhaps the initial GFX engine should be vector based as our NG 3D libs are so immature.

AND if new game framework is done, it could be open source + allow making commercial releases from it.

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Victory Road is released 2003, but I just realized that it uses DirectX

- DirectX 7 or higher
- 64 MB RAM or more
- 32 MB 3D accelerated video card
- 200MB Hard Drive Space (80 MB required for game)
- 600 MHz PIII processor minimum (1000+ recommended

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
EA almost has a monopoly in the sports genre :S There are a few freeware/commercial racing games out there which would run nicely on Sam-class hardware, but unless someone can persuade the authors of letting me do an AmigaOS4 port, there's not much I can do.
Another option would be an emulator, but that's pretty much limited to PSone, N64, or maybe a DC emulator with a custom PPC-dynarec CPU core.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@BSzili

Is it so that IF game uses DirectX is is too difficult to port?

Why some game engines are slow without CPU caches, but some are not? What is difference in way they has been coded? Or is just a optimisation level of engine? or mixture of both? :D

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
It's more time consuming than difficult. I'd prefer to port games where I don't have to rewrite the whole renderer.
I'm not qualified to answer your question about the CPU caches.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BSzili

What is wrong with your site?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
No clue, I can access it via FTP. I'll ask my landlord about it :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Darn the luck, darn. It seems like every program I touch turns out to be a real porting disaster. I naively thought Jedi Academy will be a safe choice, since it uses the id Tech 3 engine. Well what do you know, every enhancement Raven added (Ghoul2, ICARUS, etc.) works little-endian only. I already fixed various loaders (fonts, TGA) to work on big endian too, and Ghould2 models mostly work too. By golly, those data structures... Offsets to 3 byte indexes conviniently lumped in after the header. I have no idea how much time fixing other parts might take, but I'm slowly pushing my changes into the main repo.
About transmissing, I think I'll give up. If anyone can debug these weird TCP/IP stack problems, and wants to continue my work, contact me. Both the CLI client and the Qt GUI works when I'm offline, I can add/remove torrents, it tries to connect, etc. The library itself should be mostly done.

Edited by BSzili on 2014/4/7 11:35:34
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@BSzili

I'm sure you doing the best you can. have you looked at the other games you where working at.. or was doable.

Like:
Alien vs predator
Homeworld
Arx Libertatis

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Arx Libertatis is the same deal as JA, the file loaders aren't endian agnostic. I fixed 3/4 of them and shelved it, since it takes a lot of time to crunch through all the headers.
I'll try go for HomeWorld SDL next. It has a MorphOS port, so it should be endian savvy already. Plus it's not an FPS.

edit: I want to stress that I'm going to finish these ports, I just want to do those first which take less time to finish. I'm currently doing my master's degree, plus I work as an intern at my university, so I have only so much time a week for amiga related stuff. I'm doing a terrible job at picking games to port, which makes it look like I'm not doing anything :\

Edited by BSzili on 2014/4/7 17:52:51
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Here's a megaman engine written in SDL, the source is open, have a stab at it! ;)

http://rockbot.upperland.net/

Actually, this one is so nice i might have that stab at it myself!

haha and i got bitten by a beta update leaving my system non-bootable for now... if anyone wants to take this gem on then go ahead..

Edited by spotUP on 2014/4/7 23:19:02
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@terminills
This looks neat, but it's for DX9, and not DX7. Different DirectX versions aren't really backwards compatible, plus DX9 is based around programmable shaders, which are not available on OS4.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@RazielQuote:
@All Has anyone considered tying BSzili to this forum so he won't leave until we get hardware rendering and 3D support so he can optimize, adapt and support games with those features??? ...anyway, i brought a rope...

yes fully agreed

A-Eon, ACube, Hyperion, Amigakit you don't want to be held responsible for this kidnapping so please please get us our full 3D for our beautiful Radeon HD cards this year

mancave-ramblings

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 36 »