Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

rjd324, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Future of Picasso96 and AHI?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

I used eXtream for a couple of years, there was a problem but I can't say more, ask Davy Wentzler, it's his baby...

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin

Ok. Thanks. How well did it work? Better than ahi?

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@antique

It produced sound, that's all I really cared about. Can't really remember, it was many years ago when I had a MicroA1 which I sold in 2010.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thread

The only thing I can find that was publically posted back then related to volume.

DaveAE

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

There is no Davy, there is no eXtream, there is no OS4 coder capable of designing and writing a new RTA system to replace AHI.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

Well, acording to number6 link, it could have been made. If a big enough bounty would be filled up. Might not be interested now though. Wonder how big numbers he would have wanted for the thingie.

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Since BerliOS closed down AHI source code is now hosted on SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/arp2/

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin

Quote:
eXtream uses a priority 100 process instead of an interrupt to process audio (including effects etc.).

Sounds like eXtream was broken by design, nothing can have priority 100, as no other program can do anything. Even increasing priority 4 or some thing like that can bad side effects.

Besides busy looping instead of hardware/software interrupts and can only result in higher CPU load then what is needed by application.

AHI works, for now I think small improvements like supporting float sample data might by good idea.

Interesting to see what other say about float:

http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-162093.html

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Is that a challenge?

And why do you thing there is no one with those skills?

maybe it could be there are other more importent things on the todo list.

“The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.”
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rwo

The closest we got to an AHI replacement was when Marc Albrecht (of ACT fame; remember Samplitude?) was commissioned to develop ARTAS as a new RTA system for AmigaOS 3.5. Which he actually did but the deal, sadly, never materialized because of Amiga Inc.'s shanenigans. Marc shares some interesting information about what an RTA system should be capable of in this interview. Which was in 1999 - the RTA system would have to be even more sophisticated nowadays.

I simply don't see anyone around being able to develop that, especially on the I-code-when-kids-and-wife-go-to-sleep basis. But if you think it'd make a realistic project, why not submit it at OpenAmiga.org?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@trixie

Interesting.

Quote:

The only thing I regret from leaving the Amiga for good was that I did not finnish development of ARTAS, the (first meaning “Amiga-“, later) Agnostic Retargetable Audio System. ARTAS was laid out to include features that Steinberg put to life in VST (of course one did not know of the other). I transferred ideas of ARTAS in to later developments, mainly into the image workflow systems, but until today a real implementation does not exist.

Source: http://www.marc-albrecht.de/node/8?language=en

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

I think there are many that can do it potentially.

Developers are not desperate to replace it as there is a working audio system AHI. And the fact that there is more important things to do.

The real workload is to rewrite all the audio drivers to use different new audio system, after the new audio system is created. (And then some one has write a wrapper for AHI.)

I don't know how many audio cards AHI supports but I expect it to be a lot. I'm sure some kind of wrapper can be made to fool the old drivers into using the new audio system at cost of not being able to tightly integrate whit it. Its maybe a bloated solution to a transitional problem. But I think some thing like that will need to be done.

Yes AHI wont go away with a new audio system.

And this makes me wonder if not AHI can not be reshaped, instead of being replaced, I think that might be easier to do.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/8/1 14:00:28
Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/8/1 14:06:59
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)