Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Re: X1000 CPU socket
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Hans wrote:

IIRC, the standard CPU fan doesn't have the tacho pin to measure RPM. This doesn't prevent the fan speed from being adjusted though. All that's needed for variable speed is adjusting the voltage that's applied to the motor (usually using PWM).
Ah, so that's what I apparently misunderstood.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Raziel wrote:
I'd probably go for the Noiseblocker PR-2 then...

I went for the similar XR-2 - my core temps are running at ~55C and I can't hear my X1000 when it is turned on. You should have no problems with that one.

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

nbache wrote:
Quote:
Raziel wrote:
I'd probably go for the Noiseblocker PR-2 then...
Yep, that looks nice too. Very similar data for airflow etc., and about 3 dB quieter (which is supposedly only marginally audible as a difference).

Let us know how it goes!

Best regards,

Niels

Will do when i get home.

Thanks for the heads up

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I get pretty much the same in degrees but the noise went down by 2 db
(Measured with a cell app before and after the fan switch on five points around the case and the place where i sit)

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Right - 2 dB. Oh well, even though the difference is hardly detectable by ear, it's always nice to know it went the right way .

Thank God for measuring instruments.

I'm still quite chuffed with my new CPU fan and have had the X1000 running 24/7 since I installed it. The next move is to replace the two Fractal case fans with three newer ones - still the same Fractal Silent Series as the two that came installed in my early beta X1000 case, but now R2, which might be yet a bit quieter, and at least I'm hoping to be able to decrease the fan speed and hence the noise when using three fans instead of just two.

We'll see how it goes. At least right now the case fans are the main noise from my X1000, so it's worth a shot.

Best regarrds,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Niels

Actually i don't even "hear" a difference, but my mind tells me it's "better" now

Anyway, this was only the first step, next will be the change of the RadeonHD heatsink and fan...IF i find one that won't rip a hole in my purse

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Re: X1000 CPU cooling
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The gfx and cpu fans are the ones most noisy.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Which is why I chose a Radeon HD 5450 with passive cooling .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'd probably get a massive passive heatsink solution when/if i'm able to monitor gfx temperatures. Until then i'd rather have a "noisy" fan/heatsink to not get my gfx chip burned unnoticed.

I just changed the original heatsink/fan on the 6870 to an Accelero Twin Turbo II.

I did this kind of change on a 5600 series card on a PC and the temperature did go down by around 20°C (tested with a PC utility).

As with the CPU fan change it did nothing to the noise...but again it feels more pleasant to the ear

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Raziel, accelero should make it much more silent. I have on on 6850, an older model and i cant barely hear it. Maybe you think its not a difference as you still hear the cpu fan.

Try disabling the cpu fan for some seconds to hear how the accelero sounds.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kicko

Probably...id rather point my finger at the case fans (maybe even the PSU fan)...have yet to check those two

I had a one fan solution on the 6870.
Maybe the two fans, yet even quieter, cant make it up to the one fan i had before?

Still some things to tweak i guess

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi everyone,

to anyone who might be interested getting a professional cooling solution for the X1000 Nemo, please visit my Website. http://www.marcus.computer/

I develop, produce and also modify existing systems.

So I have started on January 30th, 2015 with my own Online Shop for High Quality NG Amiga Accessories and new AmigaONE chassis.

Unfortunately I was not able yet to translate the site into English. So bare with me, I will do this in the next couple weeks.

See you there, I hope you like it.
Marcus

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MARCOM

Marcus, the heat sink used on the X-5000 looks the same as that used on the X-1000. Both are custom heatsinks made for VariSys.

I don't like the way they are machined - the fins are so thick and the gaps between them so narrow that they must restrict the air flow to a large extent.

That said, the heat sinks work, ie, they keep the CPU cool, well within its operating limits. If I were to replace the heatsink, it would only be to make it look better or run more quietly.

Is your heatsink custom-machined to fit the chip, or are you using a standard heatsink? If you are using a standard heat sink, how do you get it to fit the chip?

Can you provide a photo of the heatsink mounted in your X-1000?

cheers
tony
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
Is your heatsink custom-machined to fit the chip, or are you using a standard heatsink? If you are using a standard heat sink, how do you get it to fit the chip?

Can you provide a photo of the heatsink mounted in your X-1000?

The stock heatsink has standoffs to make it fit on the cpu, if you look at the side view picture on his web site, you will see the new heatsink also has the standoffs, so should fit. Would be interesting to try one without a fan, still might need one on hot Summer days, but at a lower speed.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
This new cooling solution seems like a solution looking for a problem.
The stock heatsink and fan on my x1000 are perfectly suited to the job.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sundown

That's odd, I can't see any standoffs under my heatsinks. It looks as though the heatsinks in both machines have integral standoffs/feet machined to fit.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw

I did look into replacing the heatsink/fan with a pipe cooler only, got me looking at how the heatsink was mounted. Its not easy to see, but the stock cooler is custom built with the feet. Mounting screws are on the back side of the board into those feet. Would require removing the bd for me to replace it. I did replace the cpu fan for a less noisy one, now my HDs make the most noise.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OFF TOPIC

Someone is looking into the SAM motherboard firmware as I have standard 4-4-4-12 DDR2 so-dimm,but the manual state CL6 is recommended.

My question is does the X1000 take advantage of standard faster DDR2? ie 4-4-4-12 timing. ..G-SKILL PI is one of a few memory modules I have here & it works at the standard voltage set by JEDEC 1.8v.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sundown

IMHO I don't think pipe-cooling is good for the PA6T. It doesn't generate enough heat to get the gas/fluid flowing in the pipes when running at a normal temp. So it would end up getting hotter than necessary (x86 hot) just to get the pipes going. Better to just use a heatsink and a quiet fan to keep it nice and cool.

The boiling point of the liquid has to be considerably higher than ambient temperature to ensure it will condense even if the ambient temp is high and the cooling is poor.

When a (copper) heat pipe is outside its operating temp the heat conductivity drops to 1/80. Because of this you really don't want it to overheat (causing an avalanche of heat in the CPU), better to underheat a little at first letting the CPU get nice and hot fast, but not too hot. But the PA6T doesn't have to get this hot even with a normal heatsink I think.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MARCOM

I ordered the MAGMA Cooler for the X1000 today...the price is fine (though other people will think the opposite)...

Knowing about the custom made standard heatsink i would have even paid a hundred euros to get a more massive heatsink (i'm still suffering from Core temperatures above 50° C when the system is idle).

So, thanks a lot for your shop, maybe i'll even get myself a shiny new X1000 case for my birthday...or christmas...or whenever i saved up a little again

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 »