Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 120

K-L, amigait, VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOne G3 XE Problems (?)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Well it seems that my AmigaOne XE G3 have some problems (?).

The machine will freeze on random time points. Mouse pointer would not move at all. Only reset is possible.

Let me give you some examples:

This would mostly happen when I try to open a video movie file, or listen to an internet radio station via AmigaAMP3, or transfer some files via AmiFTP... In general with more "complex" procedures.

The machine would remain stable doing nothing or just running WookieChat for example.

The machine was quite stable all those years. I was not using it a lot but have not faced similar problems in the past.

I THINK that this strange behavior started after after the install of AmigaOS 4.1.6 update... But I am not sure about that.

Have you got any ideas? Advice?

ps. Well I hardly remember that there were some lines on the kickstart file that should be commented -with an ";"- perhaps with the new kickstart file some changes made to those lines (?) and this is the source of the problem?

ps1: Some more info: I got a Catweasel that works great on Spirantho drivers and a wireless Network card. Both work very stable. Those items are the "Extras" of my machine. In general it is the well known G3 XE with a Radeon gfx and 512MB of RAM.

ps2 I do not mind going back to a previous update if this is the case.

I WILL WAIT FOR YOUR HELP GUYS THANKS!

Edited by Morpheus on 2013/2/25 17:53:35
Edited by Morpheus on 2013/2/25 17:55:20
Go to top
Re: AmigaOne G3 XE Problems (?)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Morpheus

do you use USB or PS/2 input devices, such as your keyboard and mouse? do you have a third-party USB2 PCI card by any chance, or any other hardware in your configuration not listed in your initial post?

do you have any non-system tools that launch at startup, either via your S:user-startup file or WBStartup?

also: you might also consider opening a thread at the support forum as well as this thread here. some of the developers might have some ideas.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am using a PS2 keyboard and a usb mouse. The keyboard has a usb connector which I connect ton one usb port of a1 and then I have the mouse connected to a usb input provided on the keyboard. Do you think that this matters?

I got USB PCI card.

No other hardware installed.

And not any extra software launched on startup up -WBStartup or SS-.

Thanks for the post.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Morpheus

Quote:
I am using a PS2 keyboard and a usb mouse. The keyboard has a usb connector which I connect ton one usb port of a1 and then I have the mouse connected to a usb input provided on the keyboard. Do you think that this matters?

I got USB PCI card.

i had terrible stability issues with my SAM and my peg after update 3 and onwards once USB2 support was added to the system. under heavy CPU loading -- such as browsing using MUIOWB or decoding a high-resolution video -- i would get random freezes.

turns out the issue was the USB stack not getting enough CPU time (or something) and not 'seeing' my USB keyboard/mouse for certain periods. it then deleted the devices from its tree, thinking they had been disconnected when they weren't. others have reported similar problems with USB2 support in conjunction with USB2 PCI cards using the VIA VT6212L chipset.

the bottom line is that i disabled EHCI support in my kicklayout file. this means reverting to USB1.1 speeds, but i got stability back. try editing your SYS:Kickstart/Kicklayout file and commenting out the line 'MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd' and see if that helps. it sure helped me.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
How old is the battery in your Aone?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The battery is old -4 years- and I am changing it -got to find a new one- but:

Quote:

i had terrible stability issues with my SAM and my peg after update 3 and onwards once USB2 support was added to the system. under heavy CPU loading -- such as browsing using MUIOWB or decoding a high-resolution video -- i would get random freezes.

turns out the issue was the USB stack not getting enough CPU time (or something) and not 'seeing' my USB keyboard/mouse for certain periods. it then deleted the devices from its tree, thinking they had been disconnected when they weren't. others have reported similar problems with USB2 support in conjunction with USB2 PCI cards using the VIA VT6212L chipset.

the bottom line is that i disabled EHCI support in my kicklayout file. this means reverting to USB1.1 speeds, but i got stability back. try editing your SYS:Kickstart/Kicklayout file and commenting out the line 'MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd' and see if that helps. it sure helped me.

-- eliyahu

Following those steps I managed to have an -almost- stable system again. Still doing some testing but I guess USB stack is the big deal. Keep you posted!

Edited by Morpheus on 2013/2/27 8:53:16
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Morpheus

Quote:
Following those steps I managed to have an -almost- stable system again. Still doing some testing but I guess USB stack is the big deal. Keep you posted!

great to hear! it worked wonders for my machines. i really hope the AOS development team finds the root cause for the USB2 device deletion nonsense and solves it eventually; i'm sure they will.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Some quick updates together with a huge thanks to everyone helped. The system now runs 100% stable. Removing the defective usb stack improved stability but what brought the system back to normal for good was the replacing of the old prism2.device that I was ussing on my wireless pci network card, with the standard Amigaoneethernet driver plus an ethernet cable to the ethernet port of the lady :)

I have faced similar crushes on other Amiga systems ussing this old driver, so this was a good food for thought and a chance for some more testing, baving still some crushes while ussing AmiFTP made me relise tht the problem could be also located to somewhere else and not only on the usb stack. I have not however tested the newer prism2.device, will do it soon, lerhaps no crushes in this version.

I will of ourse change the battery just in case and keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Go to top

Register To Post