Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: recent Ringhio Server error at start up
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache Quote:
you (mritter0) had better use the workaround of double-quoting the message in WEx, because you cannot rely on everybody to have the Enhancer Pack, and the bug is not likely to be fixed in the Ringhio version accompanying AmigaOS.

That might not be such a good idea, because what happens when the double-quoted string is used by a fixed Ringhio? You would (effectively) get TRIPLE quotes! Which is unlikely to work:
CharsetConvert ""A better way to browse drawers""

Maybe best to check the version of Ringhio that is installed, and only use the double-quote fix if it is not newer that the version that comes with OS4.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

A "fixed" version would not be truly fixed if it did not escape the quotes.

A completely fixed version would not even call external commands in such a way, and do the conversion using direct diskfont.library calls!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH and @all

You both came up with the solution. Not taking away anything from either of you.

I am just glad a solution was found. But then it comes down to: do I now have to check for which brand is installed (OS4 or Enhancer) and which version? Do I have to keep quoting it or not? Or change the string all together?

I feel I am getting the shaft since WEx brought the problem to the forum/public. It is not my fault, but to the average user who does not read this forum it is.

I have uploaded a "fixed" version to Aminet and OS4Depot, and my own "Check latest version". But the user still has to delete the old entry from Prefs->Notifications. It is not self healing. Another flaw in RinghioServer.

I just hope this issue doesn't influence people that WEx is defective, and they update and know how to fix Notifications.

Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0 Quote:
do I now have to check for which brand is installed (OS4 or Enhancer) and which version?

As I stated before, I think you only need to check if the Ringhio version is greater than the last one that came with OS4. If the version is newer (whether it came with OS4 or Enhancer) then it should have been fixed.

(It's not clear to me if the current Enhancer version is already fixed or not. If it's not, then you might need to change the version number you check for, but that does not invalidate what I'm suggesting.)

Quote:
I feel I am getting the shaft since WEx brought the problem to the forum/public. It is not my fault, but to the average user who does not read this forum it is.
I just hope this issue doesn't influence people that WEx is defective, and they update and know how to fix Notifications.

That's easy: Document the problem & solution in WEx's manual. And make sure the fix is clearly mentioned for the next few releases, so nobody misses it.

NOTE: If Ringhio automatically updates WEx's Description, then you won't even need to tell anyone to do anything, as it'll fix itself. I have not yet checked if this is the case or not.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
A completely fixed version would not even call external commands in such a way, and do the conversion using direct diskfont.library calls!
That is actually what I would expect as a minimum for a fix in Ringhio. Why bother with less?

And of course, the workaround in WEx should only be used for Ringhio versions prior to the one which gets that fix.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@mritter0

Quote:
I feel I am getting the shaft since WEx brought the problem to the forum/public.
No, on the contrary. You deserve praise because your software was the one leading to the discovery of the bug, and you were the one narrowing it down to the TO keyword.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
We are looking into this bug right now and will fix it on the next release

Thanks for finding and reporting it !

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mattew
Don't forget iconification lockup bug as well :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes of course, we are always keen to quickly improve our software.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Update: we have now resolved the bug described here in Ringhio and we are beta testing it now. Thanks for identifying and reporting it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mritter0
I wrote Quote:
NOTE: If Ringhio automatically updates WEx's Description, then you won't even need to tell anyone to do anything, as it'll fix itself. I have not yet checked if this is the case or not.

Having now tested it, I sadly report that Ringhio does not update WEx Description (so you first need to delete it from Prefs/Notification).

BTW, I discovered another bug in WEx (v1.0). It fails to unlock the following 3 files in the "Images/TBImages" folder:
folder_userfiles
folder_userfiles_g
folder_userfiles_s

This prevents your installer from updating WEx (if you have already run WEx), as it cannot update those files, and so fails with an error message.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)