Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

outlawal2, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Re: radeonHD video hw acceleration
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Note that most Radeons actually support one or the other form of YUV textures, but support for that was never included in Warp3D. It's difficult to retrofit it into the compositing code since that would only work under certain contraints. The R200 for example can use separate YUV plane data but only when using the full three texture units. That means there is no room for a separate alpha map, so things would need to be done in multiple passes with temporary bitmaps.

Here's hoping we can support more of that stuff on the later chips, with Gallium there is certainly better chances to see this working.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Rogue wrote:
Note that most Radeons actually support one or the other form of YUV textures, but support for that was never included in Warp3D. It's difficult to retrofit it into the compositing code since that would only work under certain contraints. The R200 for example can use separate YUV plane data but only when using the full three texture units. That means there is no room for a separate alpha map, so things would need to be done in multiple passes with temporary bitmaps.

Interestingly, the R200 entry on wikipedia claims that it can handle up to 6 textures per pass via some "loop-back" technique. I have no idea what the restrictions are, but it could still be doable. If not, then it should still be able to handle YUV422, as that requires just one texture. Plus, they have overlay.

Quote:
Here's hoping we can support more of that stuff on the later chips, with Gallium there is certainly better chances to see this working.

Radeon HD cards have 4 or more texture units (depending on the series), which is enough for separate Y, U, and V textures plus an alpha mask. That will cover planar YUV modes. I already have example shader code for this, although it will have to be adapted.

Radeon X1000 (R500) series cards also have 4 or more texture units, but I'll probably stick to the Radeon HD series only (almost no one uses the Radeon X1000 series, and there are so many other things to spend time on).

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I like these threads! Having some of the best Amiga devs discussing the inner workings of AmigaOS is splendid entertainment!!

Keep it going guys.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans.

It's interesting, so what you rally wont is not to convert the YUV422 into RGB, but keep components divided and use shadier to mix it all.

I don't know have you thinking about doing it, B/W contrast or Y component, will need to shade the color more black or more white, will you need two textures whit alpha? Black texture and a white texture and just manipulate the alpha?

If I remember correct the Y component plain is larger than UV component plains, so it will need to scale to fit etch other, so it's not loss less format.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@Hans.

It's interesting, so what you rally wont is not to convert the YUV422 into RGB, but keep components divided and use shadier to mix it all.

Not quite. I will be using shaders to convert YUV422, YUV420P, or YUV410P bitmaps to RGB on-the-fly. These YUV bitmaps will be in the same format as what overlay uses on older Radeons. YUV422 can be handled as one texture, but the planar formats - YUV420P and YUV410P - are processed as three textures. However, that is my driver's problem. As far as applications are concerned, they are providing single YUV bitmaps.

This is why I've asked for a test program that displays YUV bitmaps in these formats using overlay. The bitmaps must be in the same format that is currently being used.

Quote:
I don't know have you thinking about doing it, B/W contrast or Y component, will need to shade the color more black or more white, will you need two textures whit alpha? Black texture and a white texture and just manipulate the alpha?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here. An alpha channel has to be provided as a separate mask bitmap, since YUV bitmaps don't support an alpha channel.

Contrast and other similar items could be handled directly in the YUV -> RGB conversion (which is basically a matrix-vector multiply). The only item still up for debate is if gamma adjustment is worth the extra effort. Personally, I I'd prefer to keep things simple and stick to just plain YUV -> RGB. Picasso96's PIP API only supports brightness adjustment, which I don't think is particularly useful. Developers in need something more complex could always use GLSL when MESA + Gallium are done.

Quote:
If I remember correct the Y component plain is larger than UV component plains, so it will need to scale to fit etch other, so it's not loss less format.

Yes, YUV bitmaps are generally in a lossy format, as the colour information is at a lower resolution. This takes advantage of the fact that our eyes see colour at a lower resolution, and is the main reason for using YUV.

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Hans wrote:

Interestingly, the R200 entry on wikipedia claims that it can handle up to 6 textures per pass via some "loop-back" technique. I have no idea what the restrictions are, but it could still be doable. If not, then it should still be able to handle YUV422, as that requires just one texture. Plus, they have overlay.

Hm, true... there are six texture address registers. I do seem to remember that I looked at the YUV support and there was something stopping me from doing it, but seriously, I can't remember what it was... :|

Quote:
Radeon HD cards have 4 or more texture units (depending on the series), which is enough for separate Y, U, and V textures plus an alpha mask. That will cover planar YUV modes. I already have example shader code for this, although it will have to be adapted.

Radeon X1000 (R500) series cards also have 4 or more texture units, but I'll probably stick to the Radeon HD series only (almost no one uses the Radeon X1000 series, and there are so many other things to spend time on).

Agreed. X1000 radeons where nice cards but it will be hard to even find them anymore.

Luckily, the shaders allow for a lot of things to be done within the chip, so converting YUV to RGB is "easy" to do on the RadeonHD (in quotes, because I still shudder at seeing the xv shader code in the ati video driver )

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

I've done a little test executable which loads a 352x288 YUV422 image from a file and then display it using a PIP window (on a Radeon 9000)

Is it useful for your purpose ?

This is the link to download it, just in case... PIP_YUV422

Edited by m3x on 2013/1/10 16:43:07
Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
Luckily, the shaders allow for a lot of things to be done within the chip, so converting YUV to RGB is "easy" to do on the RadeonHD (in quotes, because I still shudder at seeing the xv shader code in the ati video driver )

Yes, Radeon HD shader code** makes even simple operations look complicated. Fortunately, the actual operations are simple.

Hans

** Excluding the Radeon HD 7xxx+, as they have a new and nicer ISA.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

m3x wrote:
@Hans

I've done a little test executable which loads a 352x288 YUV422 image from a file and then display it using a PIP window (on a Radeon 9000)

Is it useful for your purpose ?

This is the link to download it, just in case... PIP_YUV422

Thanks. Yes, that is exactly the kind of thing that I'm looking for.

There is one minor issue though. Your code to upload the test bitmap doesn't take into account the bitmap's BytesPerRow alignment. Different cards have different alignment requirements, so it won't work on all cards. In particular, Radeon HD cards are more restrictive with alignment. This is easily fixed though.

It would be great if you or somebody else could add tests for the two planar modes too. For now, at least YUV422 is there.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

at the following link an example on how to load and display a YUV420 planar image on a PIP window: PIP_YUV420P

Currently I don't a way to create a 410P image, but it should be quite trivial to modify the 420P example.

Hope this help.

Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

m3x wrote:
@Hans

at the following link an example on how to load and display a YUV420 planar image on a PIP window: PIP_YUV420P

Awesome. Thanks for that. I see from the code that the U and V planes are interleaved. I wasn't aware of this. That's not how the official format is specified. Fortunately, this isn't going to be a problem, as the plane alignment requirements remain the same.

Quote:
Currently I don't a way to create a 410P image, but it should be quite trivial to modify the 420P example.

Yes, it should be fairly trivial, as a 410P image follows the same idea as 420P except that the U and V resolution is 1/4 that of Y instead of 1/2.

Quote:
Hope this help.

It definitely does. Thanks again.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Could software like EUAE take advantage from the video textured feature ? Or better if EUAE open a video textured window on workbench screen do you think that we'll have less cpu usage because some conversions are made by GPU ?? And so the remaining cpu power goes to emulate faster...

Edited by sofistisoftware on 2013/1/30 23:25:48
Sam 460EX, 2Gb Ram, Radeon R7 250, AmigaOS4.1 FE
A4000 PPC604@233, Mediator
A1200 PPC603@160, Mediator
uA1 G3@800, 512 Mb [sold]
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sofistisoftware

Amiga native displays are not YUV (nor RGB), care to elaborate?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

sofistisoftware wrote:
@Hans

software like EUAE could be take advantage from the video textured feature ? Or better if EUAE open a video textured window on workbench screen do you think that we'll have less cpu usage because some conversions are made by GPU ?? And the remaining cpu power goes to emulate faster...

Like Thematic said, the classic Amiga's bitmaps weren't in YUV format, so textured video won't help. UAE could take advantage of compositing to rescale the screen, though. That would enable the user to resize the old lower resolution screens to whatever size they find most confortable on-screen without the emulation slowing down. This could be done today.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

That was exactly what I wanted !! To have a confortable EUAE window on my full hd workbench screen it must be at least 800x600 and in that resolution on poor Sams cpu it limps. It would be nice to have an EUAE that could take advantage of compositing to rescale its window, i wonder who's the current EUAE's maintainer: Christopher Handley? Or who else? Richard Drummond is far from the amiga scene since 2007. I know that Álmos Rajnai is busy with jit and i don't think he would like to take into this trouble, is there anybody that could take care of this feature? Hans could you offer your help to any volunteer?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

sofistisoftware wrote:
@Hans
Hans could you offer your help to any volunteer?

I can provide tips on how to use compositing for scaling, but someone else is going to have to do the actual work. To be honest, it isn't hard.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Thanks in advance for providing tips to right developer. Any volunteer ??

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Very good idea...

I think a new thread would be more visible :)

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

sofistisoftware wrote:

i wonder who's the current EUAE's maintainer: Christopher Handley? Or who else? Richard Drummond is far from the amiga scene since 2007. I know that Álmos Rajnai is busy with jit and i don't think he would like to take into this trouble, is there anybody that could take care of this feature?

I don't think there is a proper maintainer for it. I did the last few ports of it, tweaking it a little, but I am not a programmer, and so this type of thing isn't something I could do.

I don't know if Álmos plans on uploading his version to OS4Depot when it's done, but my plan is to update my ports with the JIT.

Quote:

mr2 wrote:

I think a new thread would be more visible :)

Yeah. I don't want to derail this one.

If someone else knows how to do it and writes the code, I can paste it into mine.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
>UAE could take advantage of compositing to rescale the screen
>how to do it and writes the code

Have a look to Aminet/CloneWindow source
CloneWindow rescale/filter any window to any size using Compositing
It can even rotate the display

Alain Thellier

Go to top