Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: lpr and OS4.1
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

What is the PrinterGFX prefs program for?
It only opens the normal printer prefs on the "Page size & margins" tab?
Was that something that has been dropped in the past?
Should be dropped completely to not puzzle the users

@Cass

I switched printers some time ago (the remark and infos in my earlier post still match the fact that it works with said printer, but now i use a HP LaserJet 1320n and can print over the network just fine - even shared with a linux machine).

I use the PostScript driver through netprinter.device and within the lpr standard (it probably works with lpr only too, but i haven't tried, because i don't want to mess up my settings and kill printing once again)

My settings in Printer Prefs:

Printer type tab
Printer driver: Postscript
Always init printer: Checked
Port device: netprinter.device
Port unit: 0

Paper size & margins tab
Print spacing: 6 lines per inch
Density: 3 (Resolution: 300 x 300 dpi)
(While my printer understands 600 x 600 ghostscript kept crashing for unknown reasons, so i turned it down, text prints are still very good, graphics are a little "grained", but as it's a b&w laser i don't really care, as long as it works)

Settings tab
Print quality: Letter

Now for the PrinterPS settings.

Standard settings
Driver mode: PostScript
Copies: 1
Paper format: ISO A4
Horizontal DPI: 300
Vertical DPI: 300

Text tab
Font: Courier
Pitch: Normal
Orientation: Portrait
Tab: 1 inch

Dimensions tab
Left margin: 0,99
Right margin: 0,99
Tob margin: 2,00
Bottom margin: 0,99
Font point size: 10,0
Line reading: 2,0
Lines per inch: 6
Lines per page: 63
(You have to play with those values, as i.e. AmiPDF adds it's own margins and cumulate the start and end point, while i.e. Multiview does not, so you'll end up with different looking print-outs.
Otoh at least i need those margins set otherwise either of the programs keep printing over the border)

Graphics tab
Left edge: 0,99
Top edge: 0,99
Width: 19,01
Height: 27,71
Image: Positive
Shading: Grey scale
Dithering: Default

Scaling tab
Aspect: Normal
Scaling type: Aspect; both
Centering: Both directions

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Even with these settings, there is still an error from the amiga side : "Unable to write to raw printer socket! Reason : `Problematic` pipe."

From the server side it appears as an encryption error: " Unable to encrypt connection from 192.168.x.x - An unexpected TLS packet was received."

CUPS is 1.7.5, I`m using OS4.1FE

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cass

I gave up on lpr.device as it was giving me grief.

I'm using the same settings i posted in this thread with netprinter now, works like a charm.
Multi page prints do take a "very" long time (because every page is sent one-by-one, sent - printed, sent - printed etc.), but at least it's a stable printout now

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Now that an updated Amissl version (v4.0) exists, would a recompile of the involved device binaries help the situation (there seem to be some https socket calls)?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Cass

I assume you're referring to ipp.device as lpr definitely doesn't use any form of SSL.

ipp.device doesn't use AmiSSL. Actually, I just checked, and it appears that I built it without any SSL support at all, which may be your problem. I've just fixed that - try this version.

I have a slight problem in that I can't test this. Some time between the last time I used it and now, I have a new printer (which I don't think is the problem) and have done various upgrades to the version of CUPS I'm using on the Pi. The only thing I can get out of it is:
[12/Mar/2017:23:43:48 +0000] Print-Job client-error-attributes-or-values-not-supportedBad job-name valueWrong type or count.
[12/Mar/2017:23:43:48 +0000] [Client 19Returning IPP client-error-attributes-or-values-not-supported for Print-Job (ipp://demeter:631/printers/HP-Color-LaserJet-CP2025dn) from 10.42.0.220

I think this is an incompatibility with the ancient version of libcups I use in the .device and the newer version I'm using on the server. This might not be an issue for you.

Anyway, let me know what you get in the log now, hopefully the SSL error will have gone at the very least. I'll look into whether I can upgrade the CUPS client code at all, but I can't even remember where I got it from. (edit: I've found my source, but it hasn't been updated since 2005 and is the same version I was using hopefully libcups proper will build)

Edited by Chris on 2017/3/13 0:12:31
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Too bad my printer doesn't understand IPP...

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Hmm, well I've managed to build the latest libcups, but the ipr code I was using (and the command line tool, and ipptool) are not connecting to the server. Not sure why yet. (edit: it would really help if the debug macros actually worked as the problem seems to be within libcups)

Edited by Chris on 2017/3/13 20:39:26
Edited by Chris on 2017/3/13 20:40:22
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I pretty much gave up with this. I've just created a git repo with the source in in case anybody wants to have a go at getting it working.
Warning: I haven't done any sanity checking, literally just copied the whole thing up, so good luck!
The old working version is tagged as v1.1.
https://github.com/chris-y/ipp-device

Edited by Chris on 2017/11/26 23:08:35
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Cass

Quote:
devs:lpr.device is set to "HOST=192.168.RaspberryPi_IP RAW PORT=631"

I somehow overlooked this before, but you shouldn't be printing to port 631. It should go to port 9100 for RAW or 515 for LPR. 631 is for IPP.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)