Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Xamos
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
... Is a portable reimplementation of amos. It's written with sdl.
It could give us some os4 native classic titles. Worth a port?
Was there any good things written in amos?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xamos/

Go to top
Re: Xamos
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Don't know whether all the games/programs written in AMOS will work unless there's integrated Amiga chipset emulator. In AMOS there are functions like Peek and Poke to interfere with Amiga hardware and memory, also it uses Amiga specific things like copper rainbows, double-playfields and playfield scrolling.

I'm writing a library for some time similiar to AMOS in simplicity of executing various tasks, like opening display, opening external files in various formats, drawing pictures and shapes, run animations, draw animated objects, play music and more... All this portable to other systems. I think that's better solution.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
take what i am saying just as a humble opinion but maybe it is better to have UAE with JIT and emulating real AMOS with UAE than having an SDL reimplementation that will run slow on lower machine, like classic.. I consider Hollywood the new AMOS for Amiga OS, so better pushing users to buy it imho...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
When I read that XAMOS was for Linux, I started to think that if many new Linux developer started learning that Language there will be lots of crappy games and badly programed programs for Linux.

Can't open windows, can't do OpenGL, does not support true color, tries to be compatible but fails run old programs because of missing extensions, fails to be modern because of legacy it has drag around, its not object oriented, does not implement data structures.

I understand that it can be cool to be able to run old stuff, but rally is this sort of thing we should be using in 2012?

Edited by LiveForIt on 2012/5/28 1:44:53
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Spotup

A french developer (called Sharynn) is working on "AmOS4" a native AMOS for OS4. I don't know the status though.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I think Xamos is a good start for an OpenSource implementation of basic for All Amiga systems.
Extra things could be added as addons.

If AmigaDOS lasted until now and on most systems why not a standard easy to use programming language like basic.

Hollywood is too slow, no GUI, not opensource.

With Xamos GUI support could be added.

Amos has thousands of examples, they are excellent teaching resources.
Even PC coders are looking for an easy to use programming language for games.

I would prefer Amiblitz rewritten in C/C++.

We need a OS independant core.
GFX routines that are OS and datatype independant
OO

maybe even games oriented STD/header files

problem with C/C++ especially Amiga programming, when writing software one gets lost inside the OS functions.

When writing in SDL with a GUI, does one use SDL all the way, or can Intuition / Layers be interwoven ?

can i make SDL based gui gadgets for the OS ?
can I mix OpenGL.
can I make my gfx scriptable

How can I make dynamic GUI objects at runtime ?

there is alot we dont know about AmigaOS GFX/intuition/layers system

I have not seen a good tutorial on how to write a platform game in C/C++ for Amiga.

Dont get me started on networking and the rest ..

We need a system that works out the box.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Exactly, its a waste of time and resources.

If we want to entice new users, or rather new users with an inkling for programming (C/C++ experience not required) back to the platform we should be supporting Hollywood.

And besides Hollywood can compile for Classic Amiga anyway.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

angelheart wrote:
We need a system that works out the box.

We need one million dollar.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
AMOS does not implement Windows or Layers, AMOS implements something it calls screens, AMOS screens are not like Amiga screens, AMOS screens are all assigned to the same application and you can’t toggle between them in AMOS, so even thinking about implementing this on top of Intuition is waste of time, it might be implemented on top of Picasso96 or Cybergraphics for speed, but you need to emulate the plainer whit p2c routines and also emulate the cooper things like this will slow down, and game or application, unless you drop legacy but then way AMOS of all things unholy?

AmiBlitz3 or BlitzBasic way more system friendly and does wrap around AmigaOS api to hide pointers to internal structures, Blitz does have the unholy “Blitz Mode”, but at least its optional.

I also most say that Hollywood is not half bad, not many lines of code is required to produce amazing stuff, it also contains lots of nice examples.

You know what I started on making some AMOS interpreted many years ago, after working on it for while I decided ageist the idea, simple because it’s simple does not make sense anymore, I also noticed that AMOS code was hard to rewrite because it is not structured in object oriented way, even porting AMOS programs to BlitzBasic is big job.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
XAMOS developer here.

It appears Michael Trebilcock has already done a build of XAMOS 0.242 for AmigaOS4, available now on OS4Depot.

XAMOS has also been ported to AROS/x86 and MorphOS, among many other platforms including Win32 and Linux, and has even been confirmed working on the Raspberry Pi.

The current version of XAMOS seems to have some performance issues on PowerPC platforms compared to other architectures, apparently due to its use of SDL - it is not yet hardware accelerated at this stage. I'm not sure how it performs on OS4 at the moment.

I would appreciate some OS4 screenshots, and if Michael Trebilcock could get in touch to provide the necessary Makefile to build for OS4, along with any other needed modifications to XAMOS source. I aim to provide OS4 compatibility upstream, which would ease further updates for OS4.

A cross-platform editor for XAMOS is planned, although may need a re-write to work on OS4.

An OS3 version for Classic Amigas with RTG may also be possible, although I cannot guarantee usable performance on vintage hardware.

Note that this software is still in early alpha stage and is under active development.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
To answer some questions about XAMOS which have been posed here:

Quote:
Don't know whether all the games/programs written in AMOS will work unless there's integrated Amiga chipset emulator. In AMOS there are functions like Peek and Poke to interfere with Amiga hardware and memory, also it uses Amiga specific things like copper rainbows, double-playfields and playfield scrolling.

XAMOS incorporates high-level emulation of Amiga-style screens, bobs and sprites, without the limitations of original Amiga hardware, accessible through an AMOS-like syntax. This is currently in early stages of development, however already supports playfield scrolling and screen positioning (currently for a single screen only, multiple screen support is planned). Already, bobs will correctly follow the screen, sprites will be overlayed.

Low-level functions like Peek and Poke are not currently implemented. Rainbow support is planned (initially only for background rainbows) and is partly implemented to demonstrate rainbow generations. Dual-playfield support for parallax scrolling is also planned. Support for AMOS games will increase in later versions, this is currently in its infancy.

Quote:
Can't open windows

Alvyn already supports multiple windows using SDL, this functionality could be added to XAMOS.

Quote:
can't do OpenGL

OpenGL support is planned for hardware-accelerated 2D graphics. 3D support is another issue though, it may have to wait for something like XAMOS 3D...

Quote:
does not support true color

XAMOS supports true colour, as well as loading original AMOS BASIC sprite banks directly, which are seamlessly converted to true colour.

Quote:
its not object oriented

XAMOS has the beginnings of simple object orientation already. Its core is based on a custom interpreter I wrote called "MequaScript" which was build from the ground up to support rudimentary OO.

Quote:
does not implement data structures

XAMOS already has support for static data structures. An example is included. Support for dynamic data structures is planned for a later release.

Quote:
tries to be compatible but fails run old programs because of missing extensions

XAMOS is open source and provided under a BSD-style license. Hence, adding missing extension functionality is possible for any interested developers.

Quote:
fails to be modern because of legacy it has drag around...I understand that it can be cool to be able to run old stuff, but rally is this sort of thing we should be using in 2012?

One could level the same criticism at OS4 itself, though that doesn't seem to be a deal-breaker for many here. XAMOS is also free software, and is not meant to compete with commercial alternatives.

Quote:
Exactly, its a waste of time and resources.

XAMOS was developed as a hobby project with nostalgic potential, available free of charge with minimal license restrictions on its use of source code. It has many interested parties already.

Quote:
If we want to entice new users, or rather new users with an inkling for programming (C/C++ experience not required) back to the platform we should be supporting Hollywood.

Hollywood is a commercial product, XAMOS is free, open-source and heavily inspired by AMOS. And besides, why not have both? Doesn't OS4 need as many languages like this as it can get?

My recent work on XAMOS has focused on cross-platform availability. As such, with its latest port to OS4, it seems to have largely achieved those goals already. This kind of software can benefit greatly from being available on as wide a variety of platforms as possible - and in turn, each platform can benefit from this, and the potential library of games developed on any supported platform. It looks like a win/win for all.

As for the potential for "crapware" coming out of it - no one's forcing anyone to pay for such games, or even try them for free. That could be the job of reviewers. :)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mequa

Will it - or can it - load original .AMOS source code files?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
LiveForIt,

AmiBlitz3 or BlitzBasic way more system friendly...

Sorry, but SDLBasic works best for me. Over the years, I got a lot of applications accomplished with it and the A1; they run just as great on my Vista PC too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11367727@N07/4144756024/
Solitaires:
Yahoo's Addiction, Amiga Montana, Gaps, Thirteen, Golf, Matchs101

Poker Games:
Texas Hold'em, Royal Hold'em, 5-Card Draw, Acey-Ducey, Pai-Gow, Deal OR No Deal

Currently, I been looking into Texas Hold'em No River.

@Spotup
AMOS...Worth a port?
Not really not intereted in Amiga 'old ware'.

"Why do we have to listen to this old stuff, Sarge?"...Halo (Guilty Spark)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mequa

Keep in mind I wrote that before I know about XAMOS, you can always prove me wrong, but as AMOS was never designed for application development, but for game development its hard to imagine a AMOS program that acts like any other application.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
@Mequa

Will it - or can it - load original .AMOS source code files?

Too early to consider adding at this stage. I was offered an AMOS loader in Java to add to the Java version (jAMOS) - if that eventually goes ahead, it could be ported to XAMOS. The problem will come with supporting all the various AMOS extensions there. Perhaps if I get other developers on board, that part could be worked on.

XAMOS can, however, load .Asc files exported from AMOS. Amiga endlines are supported. The XAMOS syntax is not yet 100% AMOS compatible, though (currently some of it is in a simplified state), and syntax error checking is currently in its infancy, so at this stage it's not that useful.

Original AMOS .abk sprite banks are already loadable in XAMOS. I also have a sprite bank viewer (AbkViewer) for AROS and MorphOS in early alpha release, perhaps that could also be ported to OS4. There is also a Java version of AbkViewer, which is somewhat more mature than the C version at this stage.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
All I did was use the aros Makefile and at the final linking stage, I had to add some libraries like pthread, flac and flac++ (and maybe smpeg)?

That was it.

Edit: and mikmod. Basically everything sdl_mixer wanted.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I tried the port on my sam667 and it's already fast enough. Give an IDE to Xamos and we will have a very good product to develop game.

Retired
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MickJT,

As you no doubt noticed, I have included Makefiles for various platforms to build out of the box. Please post or send a working Makefile for OS4, including all correct linker options (linking options seem the biggest difference needed for different platforms), so I can include it in my next release.

My email is mequa2 (at) yahoo.com

I have already uploaded your OS4 binary archive (including examples and resources drawers) to the XAMOS SourceForge page.

After some cross-platform porting, I have taken a short break at the moment from further development of XAMOS, so 0.242 is still the current release. Next release will either be a minor 0.243 update or a major 0.25 update.

Some tentative plans for later releases - not all will be in 0.25. Before extending language functionality (maybe later this summer) I plan to focus on improving use of SDL first to provide features like the following:

- Full collision detection (needed for games, simple collision already possible)
- Multiple screen support
- Screen Clone
- Bob/Sprite Hot Spots (handles) including with Abk support
- Bob/Sprite/Screen priority switching
- Rainbows (behind screens, simple implementation already done). For background only at first.
- Graphical text

I may also add such features to the Java version jAMOS. It's unclear at this stage whether I plan to continue development of both in parallel, or focus on XAMOS.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Update: XAMOS 0.25 is now released, featuring per-pixel collision detection using AMOS syntax.
This update is available from OS4Depot and from the XAMOS SourceForge page.

Screenshot of XAMOS 0.25 on AmigaOS 4.1

This update is also available on various other platforms including Windows, Linux, AROS/x86 and MorphOS.

In addition to building and releasing the OS4 binary, MickJT kindly did a video of the latest XAMOS running on OS4:

Go to top

Register To Post