Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 76

ferrels, trixie, salass00, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
My machine locks up every night.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
My machine locks up every night. It has happened occasionally before update 3 but now that I think about it, it really locks up every night, or if it wasn't locked up in the morning it will most certainly be locked up when I get home from work.

This makes it impossible to run a server or to have a full programming environment open for the next day so it won't take an hour to get back to where I was.

Suspicions:
-----------
I first suspected SabreMSN because it misbehaves when the connection is stolen from it from another machine (like at work). So I quit Sabre every night. No change.

Then I started suspecting AmigaAMP in case the new version has a problem being on pause for an extended period of time or something. So I started stopping or quitting AmigaAMP at night. No change.

Now suspecting YAM. Quitting. No change.

I have one last thing I can try and that is to not switch off my second harddisk. I use some tool to make it sleep every night and since the sii0680 driver was updated, maybe it has a bug.

If this doesn't help either I'm kind of lost and can only blame USB.

The lockup:
-----------
I tried disabling the screenblanker so I could see what had happened, but nothing had happened, in fact, I could still move the mouse but as soon as I clicked somewhere or tried a soft reboot on the keyboard it locked up solid.

Memory was not run out.

Has anyone seen anything like this??

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Re: My machine locks up every night.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The first thing to try is to let your system with no loaded program. Just the WB and only OS4 components.

See if it does the same.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes I will try that too, after I tested with not putting that disk to sleep.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
try disconnecting usb2 card and see how the machine works for some days if you can live without usb2speed

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I can't live without USB2 unfortunately

However, now I have noticed this type of lockup in other situations than over night. It happened once when I was playing music while I was in the kitchen. The music started stuttering a few times, then stopped and when I got back to the machine it had locked up in this exact way:
Screen blanker could not be deactivated, CapLock worked but a keyboard reset only put the machine into a hard lock, it didn not reboot and CapLock stopped responding.

I'll try without any background programs, and with the harddisk not in sleep mode.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Deniil
Silly question time.

If you are using a USB keyboard and mouse have you tried unplugging and then plugging back in your keyboard and mouse after the Computer seems to lockup to check that's its not just a USB drop out rather than a lockup?

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Dwyloc

I have both mouse and kbd on PS/2 so that is (sadly) not the case. I have tried unplugging any other USB devices though in case any one of them would be hanging the system somehow, but no luck.

I'll continue excluding stuff until I find the problem. I just hope it's not the USB card.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Deniil
Oh well I thought is was worth asking the question anyway

Have you tried swapping which PCI slot your USB2 card is in?

Back in the bad old days then I had a PC with early VIA chipset and an AMD Athlon CPU that used to lockup or blue screen a few times a day swapping my usb card over with my network card fixed the problem, but as it was not an AmigaOne the cause of your problems could be quite different.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Dwyloc

I have actually swapped with the soundcard and that seemed to fix some other issue I had.

Now I run the computer without WBStartup. It was still running this morning, but it usually is quite often. Let's see when I get home if it's still running.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I hold my thumbs Deniil :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Kicko

Quote:

I hold my thumbs Deniil :)

It was still running when I got home :)
I think I never rebooted it last night either and it is still running now.

However, I had to start some background apps to be able to use the system, such as Macc, AllKeys, LimpidClock and AmiDock.

I also started the other programs I first suspected, such as YAM, AmigaAMP, SabreMSN, AmIRC because I don't think they have anything to do with it.

Edit: And the point it: Will it still run when I get home today as well??

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Good news!
The computer is in fact still running and has not been rebooted since I started without WBStartup and I have my normal tools running and I use MUI-OWB a lot and was programming some seriously dodgy MUI apps - still running!

I have a new prime suspect: The screen blanker, since it is among the apps not running now. I'll put back WBStartup but disable most things and put them back one at a time.

Problem is that if the machine now doesn't lockup anymore, I won't have a reason to reboot so it could be many days between tests

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Just an update on this:

My machine still hasn't locked up one single night since I disabled a number of utilities from WBStartup.

I just recently added the screen blanker which seems to work and now started shutting down the HD at night. Let's see where it gets me.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
keep it coming :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Unfortunately it was locked up. So now I will revert one of the two last change by not stopping the HD at night but still use the DPMS screen blanker.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Deniil wrote:
Unfortunately it was locked up. So now I will revert one of the two last change by not stopping the HD at night but still use the DPMS screen blanker.

Just out of curiosity what's the point of having your computer turned on if you don't let it run some long computing or task and instead you stop monitor and HD?
I understand that the fact it's locked up might denote a bug somewhere which can be good to find and fix.
It would be interesting if you could have it hooked up via a serial cable to another computer.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The only other computer I have is a MacMini, basically, and it doesn't have a serial port (last time I checked..).

Why I have it running is because AmigaOS lacks a hibernation mode. When I'm coding or whatever I have tons of windows open with shell output and everything and I very much like to leave it at that so I know where I left off, otherwise I'll waste half an hour trying to remember what I was last doing. Sometimes I even forget that I even was doing some project and a week later when I remember it again I have no clue what I had done and not done and everything will be full of bugs because of half-finished code

That is why I have it running. But when I'm not using it I of course want to save as much power as possible so I put the screen and at least my second HD to sleep.

I also have FTP and VNC servers running so I and others can access it when I'm not at home.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
Why I have it running is because AmigaOS lacks a hibernation mode. When I'm coding or whatever I have tons of windows open with shell output and everything and I very much like to leave it at that so I know where I left off, otherwise I'll waste half an hour trying to remember what I was last doing. Sometimes I even forget that I even was doing

I know exactly what you mean! Although my "solution" of getting to a nice clean "break point" usually means I end-up finishing very late at night (or technically morning...), which is of course not very good idea, so I am trying to avoid doing that.

I also write comments/etc about what I was doing or still have to do, and leave certain files "left out" on Workbench so I remember to continue work on them.

Someone (apparently) once wrote an OS3 utility which saved the contents of RAM to disk, and allowed you to restore on next boot. This would of course be AWESOME for OS4, but probably not going to happen.

An alternative would be for my favourite text editor (CygnusEd 5 - sorry!) to have the option to save all the open windows (and the position inside those windows), so I could resume EXACTLY where I left off. Firefox does this with web pages, MUI-OWB can also do it, so why not the humble text editor?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
ChrisH wrote:
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean! Although my "solution" of getting to a nice clean "break point" usually means I end-up finishing very late at night (or technically morning...), which is of course not very good idea, so I am trying to avoid doing that.

Yeah, finishing late is one option, but I've stopped doing that because I absolutely hate being a zombie at work.

Quote:

I also write comments/etc about what I was doing or still have to do, and leave certain files "left out" on Workbench so I remember to continue work on them.

I don't work with source files on WB, way too unpractical. But if I'm really in the middle of something I often leave a comment without comment it out to ensure a compiler error.

Quote:
Someone (apparently) once wrote an OS3 utility which saved the contents of RAM to disk, and allowed you to restore on next boot. This would of course be AWESOME for OS4, but probably not going to happen.

And it worked?
Problem with this is that not only RAM needs to be restored but all hardware still needs to be initialized and restored as well, without destroying the reloaded RAM image.

Quote:

An alternative would be for my favourite text editor (CygnusEd 5 - sorry!) to have the option to save all the open windows (and the position inside those windows), so I could resume EXACTLY where I left off. Firefox does this with web pages, MUI-OWB can also do it, so why not the humble text editor?

Annotate can do that by saving/loading a project

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Deniil wrote:

Quote:

And it worked?

Yes, I think, the tool is called fastboot:

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/FastBootV1_0

Would be great to have something like hibernate on AOS4!

nexus

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »