Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
AOS 4.1 update 3 - screeching noise when scrolling large CON: or KCON window
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all

Just noticed when scrolling large of text in a large KCON: or CON: window and some sound-playing application is producing sound (Tunenet/MPlayer) the playback screeches/stutters. To reproduce:

start music playback
open new shell
run "iist >> ram:delme" several times
run "type ram:delme"

in vinced window all is well.

Tried on WB screen with compositing and a public screen without compositing.

Is there explanation and/or remedy for this?

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: AOS 4.1 update 3 - screeching noise when scrolling large CON: or KCON window
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I can't reproduce it, I even turned the volume on my hp +15 dB. I have AmigaOneXE G3 with a FM801 based sound card.

Go to top
Re: AOS 4.1 update 3 - screeching noise when scrolling large CON: or KCON window
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Thematic wrote:
I can't reproduce it, I even turned the volume on my hp +15 dB. I have AmigaOneXE G3 with a FM801 based sound card.

A1 G4XE here. VIA audio. Radeon 9000.
And the window should be large (1000x1000)

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Well, I have got that one on my SAM440ep mini as well, since I can remember and I am still running 4.1 upd2 (!). Always, when I scroll with my mouse wheel, I get this sound. Thought it was due to bad onboardsound of SAM and/or bad mouse. Never looked close into this issue.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I tried the VIA audio too. Window was CON: 1280 by 1024 px, both frontmost and behind several large windows. Not a glitch. WB uses compositing.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Is that not just noise getting into the VIA's circuitry from the PCI bus? Possibly there's a lot of information being shifted around in the scrolling operation. You get a similar effect on some PCs with built-in soundcards, and on a lot of laptops. Any time you have heavy graphics or drive access you can "hear" the data on the bus...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

I know! This is horrible!!! And it has never happened before update 3!

It's not only shells that produce it - any larger or repetative graphics operation causes this and it's really sad. Shell, browser, scrolling an image in MultiView, scrolling text in DOpus.

It's a global problem with graphics and audio introduced in update 3.

@Deadalus

This is NOT electrical "noise", this is pure task/interrupt starvation stuttering. And it's really bad too.

The absolute worse effect you get by opening a larger text file in DOpus4's full screen text viewer and click once on the text to make it scroll smoothly. Move your mouse up and down (without holding or clicking any button) while it's scrolling to hear a clear change in the noise.

For me the noise in DOpus text scroller is so bad that you can't even hear what song is currently playing when scrolling. It just scratches insanely much. The music slows down to some unrecognizable slowmotion noise because of the irregular high-frequency stuttering.

A1-XE/G4, Radeon9250, CMI8738-based sound card.

There was never even a slight indication of any such problem with update 2 or any other version. Only update 3.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Ah, I see... Wow... I haven't had a problem dealing with large web page, drawer or text file scrolling while playing music on my machine. A1XE-G4 with Radeon 9250 and a Soundblaster Live 5.1 and OS4.1 update 3. I do have some stuttering with heavy 3D stuff like Quake 3, but other than that nothing.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I apparently have an IRQ "conflict" where my NEC card shares an IRQ line with the SII0680, but I can't see how that could have anything to do with the sound. This conflict triggers some bug somewhere where the sii driver gets a timeout on a read request. It probably misinterprets a USB interrupt as its own and can't deal with it or whatever. Or the ehci driver steals the interrupt so it doesn't propagate to sii even when both the ehci and sii got an interrupt at the same time.

Maybe I have more "conflicts" where gfx and audio shares IRQ and are buggy.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Have you tried swapping around the IRQ assignments in UBoot? Sounds about right though, if the SII card takes control of the bus and times out because of some confusion over IRQs, it'll starve anything on the bus of data - including transfers to the sound card...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
OK, I have a SATA card (3112) above the sound card which sits in the last PCI slot. No other physical PCI cards.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@gerograph Quote:
Well, I have got that one on my SAM440ep mini as well, since I can remember and I am still running 4.1 upd2 (!). Always, when I scroll with my mouse wheel, I get this sound. Thought it was due to bad onboardsound of SAM and/or bad mouse. Never looked close into this issue.

You should be able to fix this by using Mixer (configure it then add it to your WBStartup).

Run Sys:Utilities/Commodities/Mixer, and mute all "Monitor" (aka input) lines - except maybe "Monitor CD" (if you have analogue CD audio connected). Then click Save. BTW, muting means lowering the volume as far as it will go.

If that fixes your problem, then add Mixer to your WBStartup.

Note this probably only applies to the Sam440, where the on-board sounds circitry wasn't as well isolated as it should have been.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil
No problem here, but maybe my use of Mixer (above) stopped the problem being worse?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Jack wrote:
Hi all

screeches/stutters.

Jack

WD40.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack/gerograph

Could *not* reproduce it here, using TuneNet streaming and scrolling with Dopus text window or the shell with full screen dimensions (1280x1024). WB compositing is enabled on my SAM440ep (667 MHz). Scrolling is smooth and sound is clear without stutter. In Mixer all my "Monitor"s are muted (I did this since the beginning aka March 2009) - see ChrisH's post above...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

This is an IRQ/DMA problem, not electronic noise that can be muted in the Mixer. I do have everything muted though to minimize electronic noise, except PCM and Master of course.

When scrolling a large MUI list the music actually slows down a bit since each little DMA packed is delayed a bit. It doesn't appear as bad scratching as in DOpus, more like a bit of noise and music in slow motion (without pitch bend).

The audio transfers is getting seriously starved by the graphics DMA presumable. It doesn't have anything to do with the disk. The disk is affected by USB and audio is affected by graphics unrelated to each other.

And it all started with update 3. Never had any issues before that.

@mechanic

I typically prefer CRC 5-56 over WD40

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Maybe the tooltypes of monitor can be tweaked, There's something related to interrupts afair, will try when I get to it (or someone else beats me...)

Quote:

@Mechanic:

WD40.

And apply some sellotape where things became too loose

Resized Image
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil Quote:
The audio transfers is getting seriously starved by the graphics DMA presumable. It doesn't have anything to do with the disk. The disk is affected by USB and audio is affected by graphics unrelated to each other.

And it all started with update 3.

I wonder if this could have any relation to my (now worked-around) USB keyboard/mouse problems...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Can anyone reproduce this using only OS4 components, ie no DOpus or Tunenet?

For example, using multiview to play a sound sample?

[edi]
Never mind, I just did myself:
Load a CD, copy a track from the CD: into RAM:
Open Multiview, double-click the track and then press the Play button.
While that is playing, C:Type a large doc file to the Shell.

Sound goes mad (broken up).

I'll write a report about it.
[/edit]

[edit2]
FWIW, I get exactly the same effect with Update2, so it's nothing new.
[/edit2]

[edit3]
Correction, it's OK with aclean Update 2, I was checking a modified version with beta updates...
[/edit3]

Edited by tonyw on 2011/9/19 2:42:39
Edited by tonyw on 2011/9/19 7:49:37
cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Good to hear it has been acknowledged.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »