Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

imagodespira, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

System clipboard format for audio
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
What is the system clipboard format for audio clips? It has been IFF 8SVX in classic AmigaOS, but for my application it will mean quality degradation (of course it only matters for other apps copying audio, internally I store raw data and use CBD_POST, so conversion is on-demand only).

Go to top
Re: System clipboard format for audio
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
AFAIK clipboard data has to be in some IFF format. Maybe AIFF can be used?? I don't know of any up-to-date apps that uses clipboard for audio, maybe you are first to make one...?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
The only app I can find (I didn't look very hard) that can put audio data on the cipboard is SFX - that is happy with IFF 8SVX and IFF 16SV (it lets you select - it lets you select the clipboard unit as well, it's a really good interface, but can only do loads/saves, not real copy/paste)

There is no 16SV DataType included with OS4 (I'm not sure there is one at all)*, so I'd advise against that. I notice SFX will happily encapsulate even 32-bit sound data in an 8SVX file, but I guess that is non-standard (MultiView certainly fails to play it correctly)

Your best bet is AIFF but might be a good idea to make it configurable to allow writing 8SVX data to the clipboard instead.

Read from the clipboard using DataTypes and trust others to do the same and there shouldn't be any problems.

* I've just searched Aminet and there is exactly one match for 16SV, which is a DataType. I don't think this format ever really got off the ground.

Edited by Chris on 2011/6/1 3:43:07
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've decided to make it configurable in settings between 8SVX, 16SV and AIFF. All three are IFF subformats and I have loaders/savers done already. For AIFF I've restricted myself to 16-bit PCM.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@krashan

I suggest you use 8svx for 8-bit and aiff for anything else (this is what AmiSoundED does). Ignore 16sv and all other such formats (24sv, 32sv, etc.) as they are unofficial and not well supported.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

I have no 8-bit data. Everything is 16 bits mono, or sometimes stereo. AIFF has a huge advantage of speed, I can just dump my internal 16-bit data right after the AIFF header without any conversion.

Go to top

Register To Post