Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: What's the best file system for AmigaOS 4.x?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daniel Quote:
Each partition has a .recycled drawer which stores deleted files which I find quite handy, would be nice if this were integrated with the OS trashcan system somehow.

SFS (and in fact PFS) already had this feature for years. You can "integrate it" by adding an icon to the .recycled folder.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Thematic et al.

I also would like to know how Amiga filesystems fare on solid state, card, USB flash etc. I recently read that on Windows, solid state drives have problems with using virtual memory (constant read/write). Would this be a problem with the Amiga's new memory system and SWAP?

Sold the SAM460ex lite... waiting for money for X5000 or A1222 and OS 4.2
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@interrogative

USB recognition under Windows is just a joke. If you plug a USB device for the first time in a USB port it will say that a new device was detected and installed. Unplug it and plug it again in a different USB port and you will get the same message. Very smart.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@interrogative

As the virtual memory on os4 only will be used when it's needed i don't see this as a problem. Windows seems to use VM even if it has tons of free mem.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:

I also format with NORECYCLED, I'm not sure if this adds to the stability of the partitions but I think it probably does... if you're afraid of deleting the wrong thing then slow down On occassion I delete the wrong file and even the wrong directory, it's never a major but it is annoying, but I don't care the benefits I think outweight human error...
adios!

What command line do I need to enter in shell to format DH2: with NORECYCLED? This may well be a silly question!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daniel

Did a search and downloaded SFSformat from Aminet, done the job, .recycled gone, decided it was probably going to be annoying when backing up data and not really needed.

Noticed my Workbench partition is SFS/02, but have read elsewhere AmigaOS won't boot from SFS/02 only SFS/00 yet seems to be working fine here?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Of course. Go to icon information and change type to 'Trashcan', then load default icon and then you can use empty trash command on the .recycled drawer as you would normally I guess?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Phantom

Currently using one 250 GB Western Digital hard drive with 5 partitions.

SWAP partition
SYS: partition approx 2.3 GB SFS\00
one 35 GB JXFS partition
two 95 GB JXFS partitions

Lexar JumpDrive USB stick = FFS Long Filenames
Kingston DataTraveler USB stick = FAT??

Originally, I was using FFS Long Filenames for my system partition.

---
redfox
MicroA1 + OS4.1 Update 2

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Thematic

Quote:

What's the bloody edge (excuse the pun)? Any example?

on windows try this renaming program - it renames movies/episodes by making use of internet.

http://www.therenamer.com/

http://www.therenamer.com/screenshots.html

In this context its video/movies but the idea can be extended to other formats like music or images.

It needs latest version of flash to run.

The program shows an excellent use of combining a 'simple' rename task to having internet capability that makes use of internet database of movie/episode information.

So why not have information based system by default, why does each app require to be programmed with this features, why not as default ?

Whats the point ? because its cool !

maybe even CLI should access internet for live internet information like currency conversion.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Daniel wrote:
@Daniel

...Noticed my Workbench partition is SFS/02, but have read elsewhere AmigaOS won't boot from SFS/02 only SFS/00 yet seems to be working fine here?

nah I've had SFS/02 on my main boot partition for a year now and all is fine so far

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@interrogative

The problem is due to the physical storage media not to the software itself. Some of the storage solutions you are referring to have limited number of rewriting cycles by physical area (just call them cells or sectors if you want), problem is that generally a FileSystem aims at limiting fragmentation. While doing this it ends on rewriting more often on the first cells(sectors) draining out their rewriting counter faster than for the more far cells. When a cell's rewriting cycle is approaching its end the cells starts to wrongly retain information giving read and/or write errors.
Hence the problem you were referring.

Solutions exists especially under Linux there are specialized FileSystems that, contrary to common ones, tries to statistically evenly use every cells of the medium. This augment the life of the medium but won't magically transform them into immortal medium.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)