Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Is there interest in getting an OS4.x native port of DynaCadd?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm in touch with the owner of DynaCadd - the famous 3d CAD program (mechanical engineering) from the early ninetees. I asked him if there is a chance of porting DynaCadd to OS4 and he answered that the realisation is possible.

So I'm trying now to find out how much interest there is for such a port and which programmers would be willing to participate in such a project.

Ciao,
Dandy
-----------------------------------------------------------
If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him.
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
Go to top
Re: Is there interest in getting an OS4.x native port of DynaCadd?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Dandy

it depends from the source code. It is C or ASM? And what GUI is using? MUI? or what?

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Dandy

You know in the current shape of the market such initiatives should only be done if there is no high (or not at all) money expectation because otherwise it will inevitably lead to deceptions.

I don't want to sound rude or anything, just check the motivations before starting something like that.

Of course that's just IMHO.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Anonymous
@Dandy

Sign up as interested to use, not buy. There are no native CAD apps to my knowledge. Since I am not a programmer, if needed, I can add some small money to existing bounty

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy
If sources are plain C, without ASM, and all done without too much hacks, hooks, without hardcore using of custom chips and stuff, then it will be pretty easy to port. But if there many asm parts and alt, then it will be pretty hard for anyone to port it, just because all that assembler stuff grab tons of time for nothing.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy
Not interested in CAD myself, but I was wondering what DynaCAD was like. I found this thread in case it helps anyone else.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dandy

Good idea Dandy.
Is the better CAD existing for amiga.
It would be very good news, now many people would buy a new amiga if the software for OS4 was increasing with quality software in all areas.
I personally use AutoCAD in my work and I would like a good CAD software to next gen Amiga.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AlicePPC

Hi, welcome Alice!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

It's really a CAD program or a 3D program old on atati ST and WINDOWS.

Honestly, dynaCAD said nothing for most of the user here....

EDIT: I don't know what is dynaCAD and I use CAD software at job everyday...

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Im not info CAD but if its not hard to port and its good why not. Ofcourse that would mean updated gui etc. But i wouldnt pay for it as i would probably not use it. Im more into photoshop alike soft with layers support. Gimp would be nice without cygnix.

The more usefull programs the merrier :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dandy

You have PM.

Regards,
. . . JCC

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr
Its old (yes appear for atari and windows)but is the better solution cad 2d and possibly 3d for amiga today for this is a good news if finally can be ported to os4
sorry all for my poor english

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Dandy

I can confirm that DynaCadd 2D only version already works fine under OS4.1 update 2 thanks to JCC's help.

It's actually a very capable full featured 2D program and I for one like the fact that I can view/edit my AutoCad drawings on my miggy

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Dandy

I have really mixed feelings about this... on one hand,
I'd either kill or pay thousands of dollars for a real,
productive & reliable CAD program on AmigaOS4. On the
other hand, I don't believe it will happen and it seems
like the bar is set really low.

Take DynaCADD - from what I recall (and I see in the
attached thread) it was a pretty crude program. IIRC, it
didn't even use windows or have an ability to open
multiple documents. That's pretty backwards.

Yes, it's better than nothing... I don't really want
to be discouraging... but then I use CAD for a living
and, as such, it has to work *WELL*. So you could count
me in for moderate support, just to support the Amiga.

Give me an OS4 port of even the ancient MiniCAD 7 (with
more modern file import/export) and I'd be THRILLED...
and I'd be glad to pay exponentially more it.

Thanks,

PJS

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@pjs

Quote:

pjs wrote:
@Dandy

I have really mixed feelings about this... on one hand,
I'd either kill or pay thousands of dollars for a real,
productive & reliable CAD program on AmigaOS4. On the
other hand, I don't believe it will happen and it seems
like the bar is set really low.

Take DynaCADD - from what I recall (and I see in the
attached thread) it was a pretty crude program.

It was the best CAD program for the Amiga I know of.
Here is an extract of an review of DynaCADD 2.04 from a German Amiga magazine (Amiga Special No. 7/8 1992), translated by me:

User Interface

DynaCADD is fully mouse operated, but also a digitizing tablet is supported. Both options have their pros and cons and are personal decisions.
Keyboard entry is restricted to freely definable macros (Ctrl+A...Z), as well as to parts of the numeric input. All in all the intuitional user interface leaves a good mark and not just insiders sould get by with an extremely short learning phase and the internal online help comes in handy here. Also the hierarchically arranged gadgets greatly support the learning process. AutoCAD requires more studies because of the input via keyboard or tablet. DynaCADD is strongly geared to the user interfaces of the workstation programs "CADDS 4X" and "CIM-LINK". Some convenient functions are provided, e.g. the function to define PICTURES very easily. A PICTURE is a freely definable detail of the drawing, that is directly addressable anytime.

Quote:

pjs wrote:

IIRC, it
didn't even use windows or have an ability to open
multiple documents. That's pretty backwards.

I haven't used it for quite a while - I would have to fire up my Miggy at home and to check...
But don't forget that 1993 IS backwards...

Quote:

pjs wrote:

Yes, it's better than nothing... I don't really want
to be discouraging... but then I use CAD for a living
and, as such, it has to work *WELL*.

So you could count me in for moderate support, just to support the Amiga.

Give me an OS4 port of even the ancient MiniCAD 7 (with
more modern file import/export) and I'd be THRILLED...
and I'd be glad to pay exponentially more it.

Hmmm - from what I recall it actually worked WELL.
Back in 1989-1992, when I did my CAD analyst study, I used it at home on my trusty old A500. It was awfully slow, but it worked and I could repeat all the exercises we did at school on a SUN workstation with CADDS 4X.
It just wasn't able to do NURBS (Non Uniform Rational B-Splines), while it was capable of 3d modelling with boolean funtions, IIRC.

And of course it wasn't capable to convert the 3d model data to executable CNC programs, like it was possible with CADDS 4X (but I had a small tool for that and could test the converted data on a CNC machine at school), and also didn't have a shader (e.g. for collision examinations).

If the project to port it to OS 4.x should really get kicked off, I would vote for an "overhaul" to bring the missing things to DynaCADD, of course.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@afxgroup

Quote:

afxgroup wrote:
@Dandy

it depends from the source code. It is C or ASM? And what GUI is using? MUI? or what?

I seem to remember to have read somewhere that the code was written in C - but to be sure I will ask the owner.
I will also ask what GUI was used and what he meant with "realisation is possible... " - does it mean he will do the port himself (or his programmer), or does it mean he will give us (the Amiga community) the source code and we do the port. If the latter, will it be for free or at what price?

Ciao,
Dandy
-----------------------------------------------------------
If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him.
He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him!
(...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dandy

I think it'd be nice to have a CAD program. How out of date is this? I'd like to learn BRL CAD if I had time. That's supposed to be quite advanced and open-source, but would surely be a huge undertking in comparison to dynacad

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@billt

Quote:

billt wrote:
@Dandy

I think it'd be nice to have a CAD program. How out of date is this?

I think development of the Amiga version stopped roughly around the time Commodore went belly up with version 2.04 - I read somewhere on the web that v3 was announced but never published.

The last windows version of DynaCADD was DynaCADD 98, AFAIK.

Quote:

billt wrote:

I'd like to learn BRL CAD if I had time.

Are you an engineer?

Quote:

billt wrote:

That's supposed to be quite advanced and open-source, but would surely be a huge undertking in comparison to dynacad

Thanks for mentioning BRL CAD - I hadn't heard about it before.

From what I read it seems to have a good feature set - almost everything I'm missing in DynaCADD - except CNC functionality.
I'm not sure if it only offeres NURBS primitives or if it supports free definition of NURBS surfaces.
Given the "collection of more than 400 tools, utilities, and applications comprising more than a million lines of source code" and the fact that "The package is intentionally designed to be extensively cross-platform and is actively developed on and maintained for many common operating system environments including for BSD, Linux, Solaris, ...", I'd even prefer it over DynaCadd.

It's just the complexity of this program and its 400+ tools that makes me think that porting this beast to AOS 4.x might (in the light of the narrow resources in the Amiga market) take ages and so porting and overhauling DynaCADD might be "the lesser of two evils".

Anyway - my thinking is that implementing CNC/CAM features might perfectly make sense in the light of XENA's "control hardware & robotics"-capabilities in the A1X1k.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Dandy

We can try to make a team to port it but first of all we need o know in which langauge has been written

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
i would like to see a port for amigaos4 (maybe also aros and morphos?). i also would like to see more old software opensourced and ported to modern amiga-systems. this way they can be updated and there is no need for 68k emulation anymore. thumbs up!

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »