Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Programs needing Large File Support
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi All

Guess I should have created this thread ages ago... Just hoping there is enough interest and enough time for the software developers to look at this aspect of there software.

Personally (since I can't think of anything else at the moment that I'd use)

I'd like to see LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT given to these two programs:

AmiDVD (is this even possible?)
MPlayer (can't play movie files over 2147483647)

The other curious thing that's come about through my exploration of options is Join Splitter v1.4 by Deniil 715 doesn't allow 2147483647 as a vaild option to split... I was hoping it would create one file of 2147483647 namely file.01 and the small amount left over would be file.02 etc

This program has got support for large files (since you can split something larger than 2147483647 into valid seperate files) but I guess it's just missing an option catering to my desired outcome perhaps he could include an option as 'Biggest possible' with remainer as next file...

food for thought

comments?

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Re: Programs needing Large File Support
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:

AmiDVD (is this even possible?)

IIRC ISO filesystem has a filesize limit (not same as filesystem size) of about 4GB or 2GB depending on filesystem implementation, so unless AmiDVD gets option to generate UDF images then no it's not possible. Of course nothing is stopping you from using another program to generate an UDF disk image for burning with AmiDVD (mkisofs f.e. supports UDF, don't know if the OS4 port has large file support though).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

I used to compile this * distribution and it used to work except back in those days we didn't have a filesystem that could handle large files and for some reason the largest file I could burn was 1.6gig though it did actually work...

I compiled so many versions in my endevours to find one that worked that I can quite good at it LOL... it was a long time ago now though and I believe the bottom files are the last ones I ever tried...

There are Amiga definitions inside...

Large File Support is inside the source you just need to -DUSE_LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT or similair, it was a while ago

cdrtools-2.01a32.tar.bz2
cdrtools-2.01a32-ossdvd.patch.gz

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slayer

Remember that JoinSplitter specifies the split size in kilobytes, not bytes. So when you try to split at 2147483647 you are effectively asking for 2TB, not 2GB.

If you really need exactly 2GB-1 (2147483647) and 2GB-1kB (2097151*1024) doesn't work for you I might add a special case for it.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Deniil

Hi, I did mean to go back and try it but I didn't sorry and thanks for coming in and understanding my mumblings...

I will try your suggestion later tonight and let you know how I go!

Thanks again!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

With MPlayer for AmigaOS4 SVN-r29068-4.2.3, I can play files larger than 2147483647 bytes (tried with 2 204 870 112 and 2 907 812 194 bytes big file), but I can not seek through them. So I don't know if they will play after the second gigabyte. They start to play normally though, I am just not waiting over 2 hours to see if they work fully.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@drHirudo

Quote:

With MPlayer for AmigaOS4 SVN-r29068-4.2.3, I can play files larger than 2147483647 bytes (tried with 2 204 870 112 and 2 907 812 194 bytes big file), but I can not seek through them. So I don't know if they will play after the second gigabyte. They start to play normally though, I am just not waiting over 2 hours to see if they work fully.

I think the player itself it stream based and will play forever. However, the file model needs to face the facts and bites the dust when it comes to *seek* into the actual file, even if it may be able to hold the size of the stream. Reading can be done incrementally though, just like my 68k programs BackUp and JoinSplitter which are plain 32-bit but still can handle large files.

Should be easy to fix though. For backward compatibility to OS4.0 a simple if(os_version) statement could be used to choose between GetFileSize and Examine in mplayer.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Deniil

Quote:

Should be easy to fix though. For backward compatibility to OS4.0 a simple if(os_version) statement could be used to choose between GetFileSize and Examine in mplayer.

FYI GetFileSize function exists already in dos.library 51.62 so I wouldn't bother with adding any version check as it works fine on OS4.0 final. Any OS4.0 version that's older than that isn't worth the trouble of supporting IMO.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

Quote:

FYI GetFileSize function exists already in dos.library 51.62 so I wouldn't bother with adding any version check as it works fine on OS4.0 final. Any OS4.0 version that's older than that isn't worth the trouble of supporting IMO.

Ah, didn't know that. Even easier then

On second thought I guess mplayer uses either stdio or unistd which might not be 64-bit compatible yet..?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I would also like to see large file support added for SMBFS. But I think the limitation is in the original program, and not just the Amiga port.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@drHirudo

That's interesting perhaps resolution has something to do with it?

with the 2 I tried I just get a coloured screen and some resolution adjustments over a time then a frozen screen

Also most of my partitions are JX which might have some bearing on the matter?

@Deniil

Didn't get around to trying that size adjustment, will do it tonight

[edit] works fine! thankya kindly!

@salass00

And I strongly agree with forgetting about backwards compatiability... personally I've never understood it...

Alot of Retro users don't give one stuff about the modern hardware or OS4.x so I say it's time to forget about that sector, they can support themselves!

I have ALOT of older Amiga machines do you see me saying please let me run OWB on it? Retro developers that aren't interested in OS4.x can do there thing where as people who do code for OS4.x should give it priority...

This is happening now, so lets keep pushing it along, once I start coding I know where I'll be heading

Edited by Slayer on 2010/9/24 13:01:06
Go to top

Register To Post