Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
why do people think TimberWolf will be 'sluggish' on anything other than X1000 ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I am reading too many posts like this lately and I disagree because IceWeasel (FireFox port) under Debian on my Samflex runs quite nice and everything on Debian on my system runs slower than on OS4.1u2,... so what are people basing this on

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Re: why do people think TimberWolf will be 'sluggish' on anything other than X1000 ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts

When it will released, then we can discuss :) Now it's more like topic for AW.net :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: why do people think TimberWolf will be 'sluggish' on anything other than X1000 ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

or more like the 'off topic' at AW
besides I feel the breeze from TimberWolf coming very soon

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Dont underestimate the power of amiga :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
Haha! I agree. :D

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts
I heard such a rumour. It might even be true *for an early alpha which is not optimised yet*.

Remember how slow OWB was when it first came out? Now it's pretty snappy.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

When ff gets ported to other amigos flavours it will be the best.

I've run ff on my dads laptop and worked like any other browser.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Why do people persist in duplicating threads on Amigans and AW.net?

We often have the exact same thread title, the same initial post and (usually) the same respondents saying the same things.

Waste of space and bandwidth.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

tonyw wrote:

We often have the exact same thread title, the same initial post and (usually) the same respondents saying the same things.

Waste of space and bandwidth.

uhh i think you could have started another thread rather than post this here

oh btw, I do it because I feel like it ...like to get different info from different sources etc etc...maybe when there is only ONE Amiga site this will not be necessary.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

It's because it's the way the entire world is. Instead of making anything matter they make nothing matter.

Which equates to the forum world as, freedom of speech regardless of significance or relevance.

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
...And then, you get someone like me come along and could, lock the thread but, no I am in a good mood today. As long as its not too spread BS around, I don't see what the problem is.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw Quote:

Ummmm, perhaps because not everyone likes or uses both AW.net & Amigans.net? You might as well complain that both AW.net and Amigans.net exist...

And personally speaking, I'm doing it as an experiment to help decide whether I should just post on one site.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Offtopic, perhaps, but...

Again @ work I faced situation where Firefox does not work on intranet pages. So, one might need also some x86 virtual box to run IE for some work tasks.

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TonyW

+1

EXACTLY

Not everyone frequents all Amiga sites... And if you have an issue with the same posts.. Don't whine about it, be an adult, take the initiative and decide NOT to open the same question on both sites if it offends you so much...

You have the power my friend...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Ummmm, perhaps because not everyone likes or uses both AW.net & Amigans.net? You might as well complain that both AW.net and Amigans.net exist...

And personally speaking, I'm doing it as an experiment to help decide whether I should just post on one site.

---------

Posting on one site makes sense - if its worthy 'news' someone else will post likely bring it up there as well. Personally I would stay away from posting on Amiga.org at that moment as that place is descending into chaos. So many negative posters over there and next to no moderation whatsoever.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So how do people feel about this Topic's title now that Timberwolf Alpha 1 has been released?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki

I think it will be good when it's been polished and bug fixed.

Feels quite ok on my sam. Uses all cpu though. But you can see it redraws things too many times sometimes. So after some more releases and more optimisations, i think it will be very good.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
To answer the topic question (now that TWAlpha 1 is out) the answer is: it won't! (be sluggish I mean).
On my Sam, even redrawing everything from 2 to 8 times (plus other missing optimizations) it is still as fast as OWB in most cases and in some other it is mind blowingly faster!
Yes I know OWB has some technical problems right now with ign.com, but even when that site worked fine, it wasnt half as fast and all this on what's supposed to be a "very slow" early Alpha.

So bottom line, it won't be sluggish at all, and it will actually go faster than Debian Firefox when running the latter on same HW (Sam in this case).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DAX

Please note that the end result won't necessarily be 2 to 8 times faster than what is out now. It will be faster for sure, but by what margin is difficult to say right now.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue
Thanks for pointing it out. One thing is for sure, since I got my Sam I always felt some sites like IGN to be too slow, but even in current condition, if it wasn't for the glitches I would be very happy with speed on that site, all parts load and render faster than ever, and all fancy menus are very responsive.
Scrolling start smoothly (something that I never saw on that site) but VERY soon redraw issue pop up.

So if you get it to run as fast as it is now with good scrolling and no glitches it would already be perfect!

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »