Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

davec555, more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

Update of the comparative between AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS 2.3
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have updated the comparative about performance between AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS 2.3 on a Pegasos II.

This comparative is based on 23 groups of benchmarks including boot time, processor, 3D, USB, IDE hard disk, WarpOS emulation, 68k emulation, etc.

This update added 3 new tests (CD/DVD read, DvPlayer and DnetC), and has made a revision to 2 of the old tests (MPlayer and Lha), and has added some new conclusions.

The article is in French but very easy to understand, and it's available on
http://obligement.free.fr/articles/amigaos41_vs_morphos23.php

An English (Google) translation is available here :
http://209.85.227.132/translate_c?hl= ... NQmlz8TnlBRSWhmlFxslqoyWQ

Go to top
Re: Update of the comparative between AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS 2.3
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@daff

Do you know, I for one don't give a toss, just cos MOS is faster in some aspects, doesn't mean I am gonna dump my beloved AOS4.x any time soon.

IMHO of course

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello Mikey_C,

I'm curious, so I made a simple comparative, nothing more. There is no goal to change opinion about both systems.

BTW, it underline some intersting facts like USB which is faster on OS4/AmigaOne than OS4/Pegasos II. ZoneXplorer is also better on an AmigaOne than a Pegasos II/G4. So if this comparative could enhanced some points of the future version of AmigaOS 4.1 on Pegasos II, it will useful for users.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mikey_C
No need to worry, you couldn't buy new hardware for MorphOS, even if you wanted to! At least, Pegasos is not manufactured anymore (sadly since it seems to runs OS4 quite well). Someone claimed Efikas are still manufactured (under license from Genesi), but I think Efikas are rather crippled by comparison to the low-end Sam440 (e.g. 128MB RAM, with no upgrade possible).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daff

Not sure how much more optimization they will be interested to work on. But bugs,improvements are probably higher on the todo list.

Don't think anyone changes os cos of this,but flame fest i think. hehe

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
No need to worry, you couldn't buy new hardware for MorphOS, even if you wanted to!

Apparently now he can, but I have no idea how easy these are to come by.

12.10.2009 - MorphOS 2.4 - Premier Release with Mac mini Support

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@ChrisH

Quote:
No need to worry, you couldn't buy new hardware for MorphOS, even if you wanted to!

Apparently now he can, but I have no idea how easy these are to come by.

12.10.2009 - MorphOS 2.4 - Premier Release with Mac mini Support

No, you can't buy new hardware for MorphOS, just like ChrisH wrote. Read your own quote again :)
You can now only buy another used and dead-end hardware to run MOS on. Granted, it should be easier and cheaper to get one of the millions G4 Mac Minis than a G4 Peg2 ...

But thats anyway good for us, because its very likely some of the current Peg2 owners will buy a Mac Mini and sell their Peg2, which in turn might end up in the hands of someone who wants to run OS4.1 on it

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Just took a wuick search on the most popular buy/sell place in norway for used stuff,came only up one powermac g5. Doesn't seem to be that many for sale.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique
One overpriced 1,4 GHz G4 Mac Mini for sale in Denmark.. Still it's quite nice and speedy hardware. Could do with some better graphics though..

And to be on-topic: I personally couldn't care any less about such comparison but stuff like that has always been interesting to some, so I'm sure they will bother to read it:)

Edited by Troels on 2009/10/14 7:56:53
Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Cyborg

ref#7
...its very likely some of the current Peg2 owners will buy a Mac Mini and sell their Peg2, which in turn might end up in the hands of someone who wants to run OS4.1 on it
Cute! - Dying and re-incarnating in the MM. Are we going to die and re-incarnate somewhere?
I assume all engineers think this because it's part of the framework of engineering.

@daff ref#1
I have updated the comparative about performance between AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS 2.3 on a Pegasos II.
Whoopee, ain't you-on-top-of-the-world! Why don't perform something like disappearing! Got anything else useful to share?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Thread

Guys would you all just chill out ffs, this is after all under too hot to handle, if you cant handle the topic then just dont read it! And if it gets out of topic Ill delete it -- way that just rymed lol

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@magic
... just chill...
No, and shut-up for a minute! Why doesn't Genisi get off their dead *brain (edit*) and offer a port of MOS 2.0 for us AmigaOne users. It's an unfair 'dead computer' race if 'comparative performance' isn't shared. I asked at the Morphzone.org and got hostile 'won't happen' comment. Hey, kudos to Hyperion for making OS4.1 available for the Pegasos, but how a 'turn-about' fair play gesture? No, i don't have to chill out, it's about comparative fairness...

Warning
Snuffy I have warned you about your behavour towards me before if you take that attitude with me once more it will be your final warning. Please read the tos.

Magic
Admin

Edited by magic on 2009/10/31 13:15:31
Edited by magic on 2009/10/31 13:16:46
Edited by magic on 2009/10/31 13:17:25
Edited by magic on 2009/10/31 13:18:56
Edited by magic on 2009/10/31 13:19:18
Edited by magic on 2009/10/31 13:20:13
Edited by magic on 2009/10/31 13:20:53
Edited by magic on 2009/11/2 18:51:23
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

First, genesi has nothing to do with MorphOS, so asking them is pointless. Secondly, MorphOS Team has no motivation in porting MorphOS to buggy (A1) or underpowered hardware (SAM).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Fab

Just as the efika?

X5000
Go to top
Anonymous
@Snuffy

You are in contravention of clause (5) of our terms of service here on several counts, as well as towards "magic":

Quote:

5. Guests on this board are expected to be constructive, helpful, informative, honest, polite and above all to be nice and respect each other. Any breach of this attitude by any Guest will be moderated and punished under clause (2).

and for reference:

Quote:

2. The owners of the board, and its appointees have the final say in what is or is not appropriate on the board and whom they wish to permit to use the resources and whom they wish to deny.

Can you just take it down a notch please? It is after all only a retro computer. Remember, lies, damned lies and statistics

General note: Even though a topic might go into "too hot to handle" it doesn't mean we suspend all the rules on members being socially responsible when they post.

Go to top
Anonymous
@Fab

And you can stop with the mud throwing. Here you are inviting yet another tedious re-run of the 2003-2009 flamewars between acolytes/zealouts of both religions.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@all

I don't want get into this any further after DaveP has already dealt with this quite well. But I have to apologise on behalf of Magic.

You see, if it had been me or Orgin, we may have, and I add may have, given the aforementioned users a warning.

Generally though (after experiences on another site previously) have just banned first and asked questions later.

I will, as DaveP has already mentioned, refer you to clause 2 once more.

Thanks.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked