Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

Kamelito, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Roadshow
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cyborg

I ain't the one having problems with my internet, strange as my configs seem the only thing I added was the 1478 (and that was just because I noticed someone had pointed it out, I thought why not, it was already set in Roadshowcontrol but perhaps something doesn't search those settings) so ask the wizard why it added the rest.

also, you took the time to post so good on you, that's one point

I use the mask of 255.0.0.0 because those are the settings I got from miami days auto config thing for my connection to my router from my A4000 classic ethernet

and yes listen to olsen, he explains why 255.0.0.0 is the way to go

I enjoy great speeds from the internet and download 10 files at a time with no problems...

from what I can see you didn't say anything I already didn't mention

@olsen

nice sanity checks there

Edited by Slayer on 2009/2/3 21:01:39
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cyborg

Quote:

Cyborg wrote:
Oh well, you didn't leave anything alone, did you?
I didn't have a look at all values, just at mssdflt because that is directly related to the MTU setting: The MSS *must* be at least 40 less than the MTU. I.e. if your MTU is 1500, the MSS must be 1460 or less. But in any case not the same.

heh

just to clearify this one point, I used to have it set to 1460 then I noticed that Ranger reported the hardware mtu to be 1518. Do the maths But I think I will change it back before someone goes down the road; but hardware capabilities have nothing to do with the software limitations and this happens to be 1500.

but again Cyborg, thanks for getting involved!

just wish someone would get involved and help me with my utilitybase problem, I'm starting to think the Amiga community isn't as good as the old days.

It's become too practical and too detached and I am paddling upstream with no paddle :-p

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cyborg

I had already tried the procedure you mapped out, but I did it again, following your instructions, but to no avail. When I tried to ping a site on the internet, I got the message, "host name lookup failure." If I tried to ping my linux box, I got the message,
"wrote 192.168.2.50 64 chars ret=-1
send to: Host is down"

I think it is a routing problem. I am familiar with the route in the *nix world but I haven't mastered RoadShow's addnetroute and deletenetroute..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

tlm wrote:
... all ip addresses are static. I cannot pingother machines on the network nor can other machines ping the Sam.

Sounds like a lower level problem than name servers. Can you ping your router from the SAM? (assuming your other computers can)

What does the output of this command look like on your SAM (substitute your connection name for "lan0"):
shownetstatus interface lan0
Interface "lan0"
Device name                  eth3com.device
Device unit number           
Hardware address             
00:09:D3:21:01:CC
Maximum transmission unit    
1492 Bytes
Transmission speed           
100000000 Bits/Second
Hardware type                
Ethernet
Packets sent                 
Packets received             
Packets dropped              
(in 0out 0)
Buffer overruns              0
Unknown packets              
Address                      
Network mask                 
Number of read I
/O requests  36 (maximum of 36 used at a time36 are still pending)
Number of write I/O requests 32 (maximum of 32 used at a time0 are still pending)
Number of bytes received     70,596,104
Number of bytes sent         
Transfer statistics 
(in/out) = DMA:0/0 Byte:56141/35273 Word:-/0
Address binding              
= Static
Link status                  Up

There are many options to shownetstatus, maybe ARP, ROUTES, DNS, or RT will help you.

Scott Woodall

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Cyborg

If all that doesn't work, you have to provide much more info ... logs where exactly it fails etc...
The modem is the latest Motorola DSL furnished by ATT.
1. I select in Wizard --> PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet, DSL modem)
2. auto config.
3. "AmigaOne built-in Ethernet" is the only entry
4. These are all devices that the wizard displays (manual):
#
# $VER: ethernet_devices.db 1.4 (19.12.2006)
#
# Template: NAME/A,DEVICE/A,UNITS/N,COMMENT/F
# :ts=8
"AmigaOne built-in Ethernet" eth3com.device 1
"RTL 8029" rtl8029.device 1
"RTL 8139" rtl8139.device 1
"RTL 8169" rtl8169.device 1
"ADMtek ADM8511 USB to Ethernet" usbdam8511.device 1

5. I click the button -- Test this configuration --
A 'Dialer' window reads:
"The driver eth3com.device, card number 0, sucessfully passed the configuration test."
The 'ppp-ethernet.device' in Devs/Networks will not show up in the wizard anywhere. If 'ppp-ethernet.device' is selected manually, an error occurs:
A 'Dialer' window reads:
The driver ppp-ethernet.device, card number 0, is not am Ethernet hardware driver.
6. I fill in the connection name, service name, login and password
7. ...
A 'Dialer' window reads:
ERROR: Could not broadcast PPPoE active discovery intiation
(inappropriate state, Transmission failed - too many retries).
Another 'Dialer' window reads:
Connection attermpt failed
(Resource allocation failure, Transmission failed - too many retries)

8. I don't know what to do next.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tlm

Have you tried the physical connection?
Try swapping the cable over from your linux box to your SAM and vice versa

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@swoodall

The only thing I can ping is localhost.
The results of shownetstatus interface ppc440ep_eth is in line with yours except
MTU = 1518
Packets sent = 0
Packets received = 0
Unknown packets = 0
Numbeer of write I/O requests = 32 maximum of 2 used at a time, 0 are still pending
Number of bytes received - 0
Number of bytes sent = 56
Transfer statistics (in/out) = DMA:0/0 Byte:0/2 Word:=/0

Do you see anything there?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@OldAmigan

I have lots of cables stuck in a hub. Changing them around is a big hassle. The cable connected to my Sam was connected to an old iMac within the last two months and worked fine, then.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlm

I did mention this in an earlier post but I'm starting to think it merits some consideration... here goes...

How about any potential hassle moving the SAM close to your router and just seeing if you can hook up to the net normally... (via the router)

If not then perhaps your SAMs ethernet ports are broken

Just like if you have problems with a desktop or tower, you strip the girl down and fiddle with one thing at a time

If that works, do it some more but eventually you have to move on

sorry, couldn't resist that last elaboration

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
5. I click the button -- Test this configuration --
A 'Dialer' window reads:
"The driver eth3com.device, card number 0, sucessfully passed the configuration test."
The 'ppp-ethernet.device' in Devs/Networks will not show up in the wizard anywhere. If 'ppp-ethernet.device' is selected manually, an error occurs:
A 'Dialer' window reads:
The driver ppp-ethernet.device, card number 0, is not am Ethernet hardware driver.

Please do not select ppp-ethernet.device directly. Think of ppp-ethernet.device as a car that needs an engine, and that engine is an Ethernet device such as eth3com.device, which is what the dialer verifies. If you try to select ppp-ethernet.device directly, you are trying to put a car into another car in place of an engine, so to speak, and that is not a useful combination.

Quote:

7. ...
A 'Dialer' window reads:
ERROR: Could not broadcast PPPoE active discovery intiation
(inappropriate state, Transmission failed - too many retries).
Another 'Dialer' window reads:
Connection attermpt failed
(Resource allocation failure, Transmission failed - too many retries)

8. I don't know what to do next.

I haven't checked this in a long time, but there should be a dialer option to activate debug output for the connection establishment process. This is what you need to activate, and somebody like me (whote wrote the software) needs to look it over.

OK (two hours later), I have just checked: the current dialer has no support for diagnostic logging, which essentially means that if you cannot connect to your ADSL service, the dialer will not provide any hints whatsoever why it happens. Don't try to make sense of what the dialer tells you right now, it will not be helpful in any way.

It's possible that no traffic passes through your machine's Ethernet ports to the intended destination. But this is hard to verify if you are trying to directly connect your Amiga to the Internet through an ADSL modem: those modems usually don't talk much in case of error which makes it difficult to identify the cause of the problem.

I would recommend that you sink some money into a gateway router which connects to the ADSL modem and maintains the Internet connection for you and then plug in your Amiga into the router's local area network port. That way, you get to verify whether the problem is in connecting to the Internet, or in getting your Amiga to talk to your local area network in the first place. Right now I wouldn't know whether it's one or the other.

Edited by olsen on 2009/2/5 11:49:48
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @olsen

... Think of ppp-ethernet.device as a car that needs an engine, and that engine is an Ethernet device such as eth3com.device...
Ahh, the term '.device' is bit confusing. Thanks for clearing that up.

I would recommend that you sink some money into a gateway router which connects to the ADSL modem and maintains the Internet connection for you and then plug in your Amiga into the router's local area network port. That way, ...
Thanks for the info! In the beginning, before OS4, this A1 ran in linux via a router & dhcp in a Windows enviroment of XPs and MEs via Comcast.net. However, the that all passed away is 2006. I've moved and the A1 was offline. Since the release of OS4.1, I thought of connecting-up again with ATT DSL . I can get a SysLink 4port DSL router for about $60 USD in this part of Michigan. I'll give it try this weekend.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

Another option is to try the modem's interal ADSL dialer software. They usually have it.
Just set the roadshow to automatic DHCP mode, see what IP does it get if any, if there's an IP address:

try to locate the modems one on the LAN side

get into it's administration interface (using a browser, OWB will do the best job imho, Try different not-/yes-capitalized combinations of Admin/Admin authorization info or browse the net for your model or check the login prompt for any hint about default values, some declare them)

set the connection type to PPPoE, fill in the username and password

try to connect

if fails, probably non-default VCI/VPI values are needed,

retry to connect.

Here the modem's lan subnet is 10.0.0.0, it's IP is 10.0.0.138, it acts as a gateway and dns server.
That way you might save those 60$
And you'll probably be able to monitor DSL connection quality as a bonus.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@Snuffy

[...]

get into it's administration interface (using a browser, OWB will do the best job imho,

[...]

Except OWB doesn't support authorization, which most likely is needed to login to the admin interface.

IBrowse works for me here with my NetGear gateway/router.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Aztech 600E modem and Levelone router work just fine with OWB.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

I have made a breakthrough thanks to your suggestion and that of OldAmigan (Bet you're not as old as I am ). If I plug my Sam directly into my DSL modem, it connects. Hopefully, per Olsen's advice to Snuffy, a gateway router will solve my problem. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, I appreciate the help I have received from everyone who has contributed to this thread,

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tlm

Sounds like maybe just a bad port on the hub. Either way, you have the solution options before you now.

Scott Woodall

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@olsen

Quote:

olsen wrote:
@Cyborg

Um, some notes on this:

- It's OK to set DHCP and a static IP address in the configuration. The effect this has is to alter the DHCP exchange on the client's side. Instead of asking the DHCP server to assign an IP address and provide for information on the default gateway and the DNS servers, the client tells the server "this is my IP address, take it or leave it" and picks up whatever the server could provide. Mind you, this is not recommended unless you are certain that you need things to work like that.

While it might be OK, you say yourself that it's *not* recommended .. that's why i said he should use either DHCP or static configuration..

Quote:

- While you are free to choose the IP address range used in your local network up to a point, you should observe certain rules. The 10.*.*.* IP address range corresponds to a network address of 10 and a host address of the remaining 24 bits, which accounts for the netmask of 255.0.0.0. You should not change the netmask to 255.255.255.0 unless you are using the reserved IP address range of 192.168.*.*. Of course, mucking with the netmask works most of the time, but some software will get into hot water if the reserved IP address ranges and their corresponding default network mask values don't match.

*sigh* .. yeah, that darn 10.*.*.* IPs .. mea culpa.. i'm using 192.168.*.* only since 15 years, so i'm probably just too used to a /24 netmask.. :-/

But.. sorry if i sound dumb here, but if i follow your logic also for 192.168.*.* ... shouldn't then the correct netmask be /16 and not /24? I.e. 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 ?

And if i have some clients which all use an IP of the form 10.1.1.x ( 0 < x < 255), why would be a netmask of 255.255.255.0 be wrong or "not recommended" ? Maybe i have a second group of clients with 10.1.2.x as IPs but i don't want them (for whatever reason) to communicate directly with the other group.. with a netmask of 255.0.0.0 they actually could communicate directly, couldn't they?

Again, sorry if my questions sound dumb, but i'm just trying to wrap my head around your information and what i was used to until now..

Quote:

- It's sometimes useful to reduce the default MTU value if you know that traffic to leave your network will always have to squeeze through a gateway which limits the size of the packets. An example is the PPPoE protocol which is widely used for ADSL services in Europe. PPPoE limits packet size to 1492 bytes payload. If you limit the MTU value in your network clients, it may mean that there will be less friction since converting between the packets that go into the router and have to come out, chopped into smaller units. Chopping up the packets in transit may result in extra traffic since some packets cannot be conveniently broken into smaller units and will have to retransmitted. This "optimization" through MTU limits may, however, accomplish nothing tangible.

hmm .. i really didn't say that a reduced MTU might not make any sense at all .. in fact i wrote exactly that 1500 is default for ethernet, but one might tinker with the MTU in certain situations, like DSL/PPPoE <= 1492. What did you say different than me?

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Maybe you could first try to post some logs what exactly happens with the connection?

Just set up your connection with all details and then add something like

log=all
logfile=ram:bla

to the created connection file. Open that connection and see what it logged in ram:bla .. maybe check for any passwords or so in there (i don't know if they are also logged there) and post the log here if you didn't find an answer yourself already..

Oh, and getting a router is of course a good solution, especially if you're planning to give more than one machine internet access..

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@swoodall

I recently used that port to hook another machine to my LAN (it's been removed, now) but it's worth looking into. Thanks.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cyborg

Quote:

Cyborg wrote:
@olsen

Quote:

olsen wrote:
@Cyborg

Um, some notes on this:

- It's OK to set DHCP and a static IP address in the configuration. The effect this has is to alter the DHCP exchange on the client's side. Instead of asking the DHCP server to assign an IP address and provide for information on the default gateway and the DNS servers, the client tells the server "this is my IP address, take it or leave it" and picks up whatever the server could provide. Mind you, this is not recommended unless you are certain that you need things to work like that.

While it might be OK, you say yourself that it's *not* recommended .. that's why i said he should use either DHCP or static configuration..

Yes, but that setup actually selected a static configuration. In this case, assigning the IP address right in the configuration file only modified what the DHCP negotiation process did. Instead of asking the DHCP server to hand out an IP address, the client just reported its assigned IP address to the server.

Quote:

Quote:

- While you are free to choose the IP address range used in your local network up to a point, you should observe certain rules. The 10.*.*.* IP address range corresponds to a network address of 10 and a host address of the remaining 24 bits, which accounts for the netmask of 255.0.0.0. You should not change the netmask to 255.255.255.0 unless you are using the reserved IP address range of 192.168.*.*. Of course, mucking with the netmask works most of the time, but some software will get into hot water if the reserved IP address ranges and their corresponding default network mask values don't match.

*sigh* .. yeah, that darn 10.*.*.* IPs .. mea culpa.. i'm using 192.168.*.* only since 15 years, so i'm probably just too used to a /24 netmask.. :-/

But.. sorry if i sound dumb here, but if i follow your logic also for 192.168.*.* ... shouldn't then the correct netmask be /16 and not /24? I.e. 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 ?

No, the 192.168.*.* shorthand, which I used in a misleading manner, needs clarification. The first "*" in 192.168.*.* stands for the fact that you can choose the third number to set the network address. Hence, you can pick your network address from the range 192.168.0.* to 192.168.255.* - the network address definitely covers 24 bits, not 16. The host address is what the last "*" in 192.168.*.* stands for, which can be picked from the range 1 to 254.

Quote:

And if i have some clients which all use an IP of the form 10.1.1.x ( 0 < x < 255), why would be a netmask of 255.255.255.0 be wrong or "not recommended" ? Maybe i have a second group of clients with 10.1.2.x as IPs but i don't want them (for whatever reason) to communicate directly with the other group.. with a netmask of 255.0.0.0 they actually could communicate directly, couldn't they?

You can always cut a larger network into smaller portions, but care must be taken that these portions do not overlap. This why it's not recommended: if you only have a small IPv4 network with fewer than 254 machines around, it's less error prone to choose any of the 192.168.0.*-192.168.1.* network prefixes than to chop up the much larger 10.*.*.* network into subnets and make sure that the subnets do not overlap.

Of course you can go ahead and use the larger network which gives you 16 million possible machine addresses, but, as I wrote, it's much more straightforward to use the smallest reserved IP range that matches your needs than to always use the largest.

Mind you, some gateway routers default to use the 10.*.*.* address range and won't let you change it. But I would consider that an anomaly rather than a deliberate feature. Most gateway routers I've dealt with that are intended for home use will suggest a 192.168.*.* address range, typically it's 192.168.1.*.

Quote:

Again, sorry if my questions sound dumb, but i'm just trying to wrap my head around your information and what i was used to until now..

Quote:

- It's sometimes useful to reduce the default MTU value if you know that traffic to leave your network will always have to squeeze through a gateway which limits the size of the packets. An example is the PPPoE protocol which is widely used for ADSL services in Europe. PPPoE limits packet size to 1492 bytes payload. If you limit the MTU value in your network clients, it may mean that there will be less friction since converting between the packets that go into the router and have to come out, chopped into smaller units. Chopping up the packets in transit may result in extra traffic since some packets cannot be conveniently broken into smaller units and will have to retransmitted. This "optimization" through MTU limits may, however, accomplish nothing tangible.

hmm .. i really didn't say that a reduced MTU might not make any sense at all .. in fact i wrote exactly that 1500 is default for ethernet, but one might tinker with the MTU in certain situations, like DSL/PPPoE <= 1492. What did you say different than me?

Your original comment asked the rhetorical question "why that funny MTU value?". I tried to give a bit of background as to why it could be useful, and that in practice it often has no discernable effect.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »