Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35) 36 37 38 ... 72 »
Re: Odyssey 1.23 progress
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@radzik

here there is the last webkit patches from Tobias Netzel and are about R600.8.2 version for Leopard PPC .
http://sourceforge.net/projects/leopard-webkit/files/600/Sources/

In any way i say Teen4Fox is Geko and Geko working great on PowerPc ... Firefox is on ppc the version is on lnx ppc the 43.03

Edited by tlosm on 2016/1/13 12:07:54
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlosm
You should read the 104Fox development blog more:
http://tenfourfox.blogspot.hu/2015/12 ... and-maybe-45-as-swan.html

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BSzili
all is related the macports gcc48 and gcc49 that are crappy i was reported months ago to macports mantainers ... lets hope something will be fixed

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tlosm
GCC is the least of our problems. I should have TL;DR-ed out the most important part: Mozilla has been working on its own functional programming language called Rust. Parts of Firefox are already in Rust, and the new layout engine will be written entirely in it. This means no Firefox, unless someone is willing to maintain a Rust compiler for OS4.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BSzili
This means we have no other open alternatives?

I think for now is the best fix by us WebKit, but what about future? NG systems without moder web browser??

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@radzik
It mean that we need to find someone for current webkit, he will do the job, and then, we will use that browser for 3-5 years. And if we all will be here after 3-5 years, we can think what to do then. But for now will be enough to fix current version.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I heard something that Bigfoot can do it?

Amiga 2000 2 MB Chip ECS, Blizzard 2060/60 MHz 128 MB Fast, Picasso II+, Deneb USB, 160 GB & DVD-RW / OS 3.9
Amiga 1200, Blizzard PPC 233/040 256 MB Fast, BVision / OS4.0, OS3.9
Pegasos II 1 GB Radeon 9250 / OS4.1
---
http://radzikowski.ovh.org
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I hope the webkit that we have will work for next 5 y.... the inet is running really fast

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
You can take that 5 year with a bit of salt. You will see pages that just stop working. For example like google when they update their pages with "old browsers, please update". Like now youtube, google drive, spreedsheats etc. At least microsoft when they have "old browsers, please update" we can continue to the page anyway like for hotmail.

But a good thing is pages that migrates from flash to html5 as we lack flash.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
BSzili
Quote:
Mozilla has been working on its own functional programming language called Rust

Thanks for the highlight.
If they develop a new language, does it mean C is not as good as everyone says?

Maybe they should have tried AmigaE!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood
C might not be very good, but it is ubiquitous. They are switching to Rust, because programs written in the functional paradigm are very easy to parallelize. AmigaE is still an imperative-only language :)
What really matters is that 43 ESR is the last Rust-free version of Firefox. Porting that would be an order of magnitude more work than fixing Odyssey, but you'd still end up with an outdated browser.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BSzili

We're doomed! Doomed! DOOMED I TELL YA!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Joeled

If retro-surfing ever becomes a fad, we will be the platform to beat 8)

On a more serious note, once and if the endian issues are solved in webkit, will it be easy to update (I use the term easy in relation to how difficult it is to solve the current endian issues)?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BSzili

Yes of course.
It's still interesting to see the dependencies to build the Rust compiler are not that high https://github.com/rust-lang/rust
The following should be considered though: https://metajack.im/2013/12/11/building-rust-code--current-issues/

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood
GCC's dependencies aren't that high either. This seems to be a perfect opportunity to get back to my original point. Who is going to port the latest Firefox and maintain a compiler for a completely new language, if you can't even find someone to fix JavaScriptCore?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Agreed, and if the world around us is abandonning PPC, how coud we stay up-to-date with the very little amount of users/developers we have?
This will become soon a crucial question.

But it belongs to another thread. Let's concentrate on Odyssey progress right now.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Just to throw a wild idea out there: Amithlon apparently had a modified GCC compiler that generated x86 code which behaved as if it had 68k endianess. i.e. It was modified so that every memory access had it's endianess swapped. I wonder if something similar could be done for PPC, and then SOMEHOW used to just compile the JavaScript part of WebKit (e.g. javascript.o), such that the endian issues were resolved.

I'm sure there'd be a lot of difficulties trying to do something like that (e.g. how would the reverse-endian javascript code interact with the rest of WebKit running with normal endianess?), but I wonder if it might be less effort & more future-proof in the long run?

Well, just a crazy idea, feel free to ignore it

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Joeled

Quote:
We're doomed! Doomed! DOOMED I TELL YA!

Resized Image

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BSzili

How many developers we have? It's really confusing that nobody has will to fix WebKit. Or nobody cares about web browser on NG systems? Where is the problem?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
"@Kas1e

At exit, when Odyssey window is just closed, I often have a requester saying something like "Wait until child end. Webcore file..."

Sorry, I wanted to grab the window but it closed itself.
This problem occurs with OS4Depot version or now with your latest build.

Thanks
"

I finally got it.

Resized Image

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35) 36 37 38 ... 72 »