Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »
Re: OS4 netbook!
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I did say 12 inch but I could be wrong. It was over the phone I got some details. In any case, the specs are not 100% nailed down yet.

Do not panic.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
weeeeee.... /me wants!

Alien Air Attack

SAM440@733 mhz as main amiga.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'd like to add that, although, even if it is only 400 MHz, I've found that TWO computers are necessary for "ordinary and mundane tasks"!!!! (How arrogant (for lack of the better word) is that??)

But having 2 full computers running at the same time is very inconvenient....

I need the confidence an AMIGAONE gives me in saving and organizing information I collect, while the x86+windross(SICK) for being able to "do it fast"(SICK!!!!) is handy for the rest.

Like, when I'm playing Everquest, I'll be able to keep track of various info on my shiny new (summer 2012) AmigaOS 4.x netbook. Or saving various articles on science and movies and events in the news.... and pictures and songs.

It will be VERY VERY important for me to get one or more!!!

It's a computer that I'll be able to show my mother how to use too!!!

I do hope that the external keyboard, mouse, monitor port, AND wireless and ethernet socket all stay IN.... I'd also like a compact flash card port too, but will probably have to settle with a SD or micro SD slot. I know that compact flash cards are rising in price, but I think that they ARE the BETTER form factor.

Please Rogue, can you guys extend the RAD: to bigger than 40 Megs???

HYPERION AND OS4.X TEAM RULE!!!!!!

They kick the donkey!!!!!!

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
What has the poor Donkey Done???

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I need to say this....

LOOK, We are getting a netbook, something we have all wanted, please stop asking for x, y or z feature as well, Lets get this one out of the door, then further on down the line, we can start asking for an updated model with x number of new features.

In the meantime, lets let Hyperion, get this one out first huh?

Cheers

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Know what's even MORE important???

Now people from Eastern European countries have a very good chance to be able to buy them.... There are many good to EXCELLENT programmers there.

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Mikey_C,

Yes, you are correct, but they are generally very common features on other netbooks.... But I'll settle on anything they put out.

/me VERY HAPPY AOS4.X AMIGAN!!!!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Oh, wow! How can I be any happier today? Even though this sounds like a low-performance thing and I'd very much prefer a decent performance laptop, I'm so buying one of these! I haven't realy been able to do Amiga stuff, not OS4 stuff anyway, for quite some time. Being tethered to a desk has been a huge obstacle for the past few years, and my XE is in storage mode without a desk to be tethered to. A laptop, netbook, whatever will finally set me free and I'll be able to use something at all again! Thank you!

If a higher-performance laptop ever does make it out, I'll be very excited again, but this will hold me over until then. :)

Quote:
Rogue wrote:
- It's a netbook. That means it isn't intended to compete with a desktop system. It is using an integrated graphics chip. No RadeonHD. No PA Semi.

:( A 15inch laptop with numeric keypad keyboard would hold those.

Quote:
- Price point will be the complete system, including AmigaOS 4. Hopefully, it will be around $300, but we cannot say this for sure yet so calculate a price of $300 to $500.

Awesome!

Quote:
- The prototypes have built-in Wireless and wired ethernet. Whether both or just one of them will be on the final device I do not know yet.

I think you'll all be forgiven if it only has wireless.

Quote:
- Internal mass storage. Don't ask me about the capacity, few gigs AFAIR.

If anyone can't fit whatever capacity it ships with, will this be upgradable?

Quote:
- The prototypes have 512 MB memory -I think-. No idea about the size of the final product.

512MB should be adequate. Much less and I want an upgrade option.

Quote:
- AmigaOS *is* running on the device, although in a very early state. There are questions to be answered still, so the tentative release date is somewhere near the middle of 2012.

That's all I can say right now without getting punishment from the Hyperion management :)

Thank you Hans-Joerg! And tell whoever got this to happen thank you as well!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
- It's NOT used Mac hardware"

My used iBook G4 might still be a wish for me then. Either that or a future "laptop" choice in addition to this netbook which I will plan to buy.

I like the 15inch laptop size. I really like that they have keyboards with proper numeric keypads now. I like that I can see things better than on a tiny screen, I think 14inch is about minimum for my eyesight. (my 20inch screen at work looks like 17inch when wearing my glasses, and is of course unseeable without my glasses) 12inch will to me look like maybe 10inch. :/

But please at least give us a touchpad with at least two "mouse" buttons. The single button on Macs is really my biggest complaint about them. But since AmigaOS natively uses 2 or 3 buttons I'm hopeful this will be OK.

Go to top
Anonymous
Know what's even MORE important???

Now people from Eastern European countries have a very good chance to be able to buy them.... There are many good to EXCELLENT programmers there.

AS someone from East Europe must say this is very true
(not all of us have skills even some people are just great, but wush to get something we cannot afford due to much much lower standard)

Its also makes possible that people from e.g. Asia and Latin America could find it more affordable.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ssolie

Do we know about battery life?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

billt wrote:
But please at least give us a touchpad with at least two "mouse" buttons. The single button on Macs is really my biggest complaint about them. But since AmigaOS natively uses 2 or 3 buttons I'm hopeful this will be OK.

Given that the second button is *required* for opening menus I'd be very surprised if it only had one!

Can we have a proper keyboard layout please? ie. Amiga keys in the right place and a Help key? (and no WinMenu key, SysReq or other legacy nonsense that can't even be queried in OS4)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@billt

It has a two-button mouse pad.

@chris

I don't know how much freedom we have with the keyboard, but we'll certainly check the possibilities.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Battery life? Any idea?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Can the (highly enthusiastic) people saying "it MUST have *insert some feature here*", please remember that:

(a) Hyperion are not stupid, and they will surely do everything they can to have popular features on the netbook,
(b) Hyperion is constrained by what the netbook manufacturer allows, so they cannot add everything they may want, and
(c) they are going to want to keep the price down (was mentioned either by Ssolie or Rouge *just kidding* Rogue), and some features may be too expensive for the majority of prospective buyers to accept. I'm sure they want to keep the price below some magic price point (e.g. $399 or £399).

In short: Hyperion know far more than you about what features they can add (and their cost), so you'll just have to wait to see the final netbook spec. It surely won't please everyone, but it doesn't have to.

P.S. Personally speaking, I am more interested in the X1000, since I don't have much need for mobility. But this is GREAT news for those who do need mobility, as well as those looking for a cheap OS4 machine

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

P.S. Personally speaking, I am more interested in the X1000, since I don't have much need for mobility. But this is GREAT news for those who do need mobility, as well as those looking for a cheap OS4 machine

I'm more interested in the X1000 too, but I definitely like the fact that there's a netbook, and do hope to get one.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
At the targeted price I'm sure I'm wanting one! It has been too long since I bought my last brand new Amiga (owned quite a few but bought them second hand).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Chris wrote:
Quote:

billt wrote:

Given that the second button is *required* for opening menus I'd be very surprised if it only had one!

I guess I'm also concerned about he recent trend toward buttonless "touch" things. I've seen laptops with no actual buttons at all now, just a bigger touchpad. I really hate the right-side area of the pad that is by default a "scrollwheel", that was always jumping all over the place until I finally figured out how to turn it off. Similar areas for "buttonless-buttons" I think would frustrate me just as much. I'm happy to see Rogue's post about the 2 buttons. :)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@billt

Quote:
I really hate the right-side area of the pad that is by default a "scrollwheel", that was always jumping all over the place until I finally figured out how to turn it off.

Absolutely agreed, I always have to turn that off as it is irritating rather than helpful (I'm not keen on scrollwheel mice either, I'd rather use the scrollbar and am rather enamoured with the hand grab tools, as popularised by Adobe)

My Eee has a multi-touch touchpad, and scrolling can be achieved with two fingers up-down (or left-right). I actually love that feature, it's very intuitive.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I LOVE THE AMIGA SYSTEM.
I have been Trying to find a system in the USA here for some time now.
If this Netbook/Notebook will run classic games and sellable in the USA I will be getting one.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »