Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Sections
Who's Online
17 user(s) are online (11 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 17

more...
Support us!
Recent OS4 Files
OS4Depot.net

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13)

Re: Getting Napalm to run on AmigaOS 4.1.2?
Just popping in
From USA
@alfkil

Are there any more updates to your patch planned to fix the enemy AI timing and or sound issues?

Just can't stay away
From Copenhagen
@TheKorn

I would really very much like to do an update that fixes the difficulty problem. I don't know what you mean by sound issues, here it works perfectly well now.

The problem with the difficulty in level 2 is, that it is going to be hard to pin down the problem. You have to understand, that I do NOT have the source code for this game, and so the only way to go is by disassembling. The parts, that I have fixed so far, are all distinguishable by making references to system objects, which are detectable in the code. The part that concerns gameplay is completely uncommented and unstructured, so it is going to be like finding a needle in a haystack. When all that is said, I might try at some point to go in there and see what I can do...

Report Go to top

Home away from home
From England
@TheKorn
Napalm has the same problem with difficulty under WinUAE (with JIT).

I am guessing that the CPU is used for timing certain in-game events, and when it is too fast things happen too quickly... or it may be something far more complicated than that!

Report Go to top

Just can't stay away
From Lyon, France
@ChrisH

In this case, the game probably uses timer.device functions. Maybe Alfkil can look for them in the ASM. But it's only the visible part of the iceberg.

Report Go to top

Just can't stay away
From Copenhagen
@Elwood

See that's the problem: There is a "timer.device" string in the code, but it is not used for anything. Also if you notice the time written during gameplay in the upper left corner, it doesn't nearly follow real seconds no matter how you set the game speed.

I have located a counter, that might have something to do with the timing, and I have tried slowing it down, but this doesn't solve the problem either. So I am basically stuck...

EDIT: By the way: Has anyone tried the preliminrary NETWORK.SERIAL driver?? I'm dying to see if it works or not!

Report Go to top

Home away from home
From Russia
@alfkil

Just for laugh: maybe you can try to change timer.device string on something like "#OOPS#.device" , and then trying to run a game. If it will crashy, buggy, or have any kind of problems , then timer.device is indeed uses somehow. If no changes will happens, then nope. Through strange why string present at all then.

Just can't stay away
From Copenhagen
@kas1e

If I did that, it would just fail with a recoverable error saying, that I cannot open the serial device. And it's not necessaery: I can very easily see from the code, that the timerrequest is only referenced in opening and closing the device, and TimerBase is only referenced by one function, which calls GetSysTime, and the resulting timeval struct is not referenced anywhere else in the code. So it is a nil reference.

Report Go to top

Home away from home
From Russia
@alfkil

Got it .. Anyway, that info from CrhisH that "Napalm has the same problem with difficulty under WinUAE (with JIT)." sounds intersting. Maybe TonnyW (author of winuae) can help here more, or Rachy (who do petunia for aos4, and who works now on ppc-jit for e-uae).

Also, if it happens on winaue and only with JIT, maybe for that purposes add napalm to black-list for JIT and check if without JIT all will be fine ? And if so, then Rachy can help imho here.

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13)

[Advanced Search]