Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
70 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Filer 53.32, final release
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

It seems we need a new Filer update to adapt it to the latest version of ClickToFront commodity...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
dopus5 is in a completely different league to filer, both are good file manager. but they are also two work very different.
i hope the time will come for me to use dopus5 again.

Sam460ex 2GB 120Gb SSD&1Tb HD7750 Envy24HT A-Eon Drv 2.10+Warp3D New Uboot
Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

samo79 wrote:
@orgin

It seems we need a new Filer update to adapt it to the latest version of ClickToFront commodity...

Could it be a missing WA_PubScreen tag again?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hmmm drag & drop doesn't seem to work for me, anyone else?
... or am i missing something?
i am draging from one filer window to another..

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@spotUP

Drag&drop works for me just fine in version 53.32.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
Since you apparently misunderstood me: I'm saying there'd be no need for DOpus 5/Magellan *for me* :) . A port of DOpus would still be nice though, and I never meant otherwise.

BTW, before I switched to OS4, I was a heavy user of DOpus 5/Magellan for many years, so I know very well exactly what it does. Filer still does 95% of what I personally liked about DOpus5, especially with the addition of FTP Mount.

Edited by ChrisH on 2014/3/13 13:28:21
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Drag&drop works for me just fine in version 53.32.

It depends how you start it. If you start it from double clicking via the commodity then you can't drag and drop to that requester. If you start it from it's icon or amidock or the shell etc it will work.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

I can't see why that should break something. If a application is running on the workbench / default puiblic screen it doesn't need to set a pubscreen, surely?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH
I 100% agree, filer does nearly everything that I used DOpus5 for on my a1200 and has the advantage of being hack free and using uptodate GUI toolkit.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
Quote:

I can't see why that should break something. If a application is running on the workbench / default public screen it doesn't need to set a pubscreen, surely?

I don't really know, I just remember this thread in which Chris reported fixing a ClickToFront-related problem in NetSurf by providing a missing WA_PubScreen tag.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
chris, oh.. :/ i always start it by doubleclicking...

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@SpotUp

Works either way for me, so *shrug*

I guess you might have messed up the tooltypes of the FilerCX commodity somehow. But beyond that -> "Can't reproduce" + "Closed"

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@SpotUp

Make sure the home directory tool type in FilerCX is set correctly then drag and drop will work for double click started filers.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

is there a way to make Filer open an ASL requester and change to the selected DIR.

Using Filers internal commands i'm trying the following with a new "User defined button" but it does not work:

$CD {Rf}

I would need this to CD to a directory by simply dragging a file or directory from workbench.
What I miss in Filer is a way to add a "Favorites" Devices/Dirs which can be modified on the fly.

When doing heavy File managing operations it's a needed option at least for me.

At the moment I do "leave out" drawers on the workbench to quickly access them and it's cumbersome..

e.g.
User Button "Go to.." COMMAND "Work:Tools/Fller/Flier "{Rf}"

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amigo1

Quote:
is there a way to make Filer open an ASL requester and change to the selected DIR.

It's one main purpuse of Filer to change paths *inside* the Filer itself. What would be the benefit of opening a filerequester where you click throu the dirs whan you can do it in Filer itself?

If you have favorite dirs you want to change to, make a userbutton for each of them:

$CD MY:Favorite1
$CD MY:Favorite/Dir2

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

I can't find .32 at openamiga, only .31, which I already have installed in System:Utilities/Filer. Is version 52.32 supposed to come via AmiUpdate? If so, I'm not getting it that way either.

Filer is just right for my needs. I was never a big fan of Dopus.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

"3 years too late, wow getting kids sure slows you down"

+1

Getting anything out is an achievement anyway, so, big thanks.

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gazelle

@Gazelle

Quote:

It's one main purpuse of Filer to change paths *inside* the Filer itself. What would be the benefit of opening a filerequester where you click throu the dirs whan you can do it in Filer itself?

If you have favorite dirs you want to change to, make a userbutton for each of them:

$CD MY:Favorite1
$CD MY:Favorite/Dir2

It was meant as a work-around.
Filer does not always work properly for me. Below more about that.
My main reason for that would be to be able to drag and drop a Drawer to have Filer change to that directory.
Maybe in a similar way to RAWBInfo, where you can drag and drop certain elements to some fields.
Having Filer accept a drag and drop to the Directory Path would help a lot.

About Filers problems: Workbench gets unstable when I use Filer and DSI-
Errors appear. I was not able to reliably reproduce, I would have reported it already. Apps do not start when using Filer (increasing Stack did not help either).

The Middle-Button-click taking you to the parent directory is annoying and clashes with other commodities when the Mid-Button is set up for some action. I can't find a way to disable this as it seems hard coded. I did report this to the author however but I suppose he had no time to correct this.

Your suggestion to use the buttons as a quick-link solutions are ok, but cumbersome to use. I am reorganizing the recovered data of a hard drive and a quick way to change "Favourites" is indispensable because very dynamic in this stage.

The hardcoded keyboard-shortcuts are not well thought too IMHO. As it is a replacement or enhancement to Workbench, some of the same shortcuts would be logical. Creating a new drawer with Amiga-N seem logical.

Destructive actions like deleting are done by pressing of two adjacent Keys while something as useful as cloning a file needs to use two hands or rotate the keyboard to be able to press Right-Amiga-3

There are many more things I'd like to say about but it would be off the purpose of this.

Thanks for your suggestion.

And don't get me wrong, to me Filer is still the Best File Manager for OS4.1. Thanks go to Origin for developing it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

It was meant as a work-around.
Filer does not always work properly for me. Below more about that.
My main reason for that would be to be able to drag and drop a Drawer to have Filer change to that directory.
Maybe in a similar way to RAWBInfo, where you can drag and drop certain elements to some fields.
Having Filer accept a drag and drop to the Directory Path would help a lot.

Currently it will copy or move the directory which Is actually consistent with workbench behaviour, but I would personally prefer it like you suggest to open the directory dropped in the filer window.

It's a shame Filer doesn't have an ARexx interface as then you could add a context menu item to open the draw in the current filer or open a new one.

You can ofcourse add an entry to open and list a drawer in a new filer.

Quote:

About Filers problems: Workbench gets unstable when I use Filer and DSI-
Errors appear. I was not able to reliably reproduce, I would have reported it already. Apps do not start when using Filer (increasing Stack did not help either).

Never, ever seen that on my SAM 440, does filer itself crash or other programs?

Quote:

The Middle-Button-click taking you to the parent directory is annoying and clashes with other commodities when the Mid-Button is set up for some action. I can't find a way to disable this as it seems hard coded. I did report this to the author however but I suppose he had no time to correct this.

Didn't know you could do that, I always use the toolbar button. ASL had similar behaviour BTW but you can switch between noaction / volumes / and parent. the same for Filer would be nice.

Quote:

Your suggestion to use the buttons as a quick-link solutions are ok, but cumbersome to use. I am reorganizing the recovered data of a hard drive and a quick way to change "Favourites" is indispensable because very dynamic in this stage.

For favourites I use small scripts which are saved and left out on the workbench.

eg:
sys:utilities/filer/filer projects:sketchblock/sketchblock

It wouldn't take an enormous effort to make a small arexx script that would generate such on the fly. You could even store them all in the same directory and add *that* directory to a button, click on the button and you have a list of favourites in your filer.

Quote:

The hardcoded keyboard-shortcuts are not well thought too IMHO. As it is a replacement or enhancement to Workbench, some of the same shortcuts would be logical. Creating a new drawer with Amiga-N seem logical.

But opening a new filer is equally as logical.

Quote:

And don't get me wrong, to me Filer is still the Best File Manager for OS4.1. Thanks go to Origin for developing it.

I agrre, I'm lost without it!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »