Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Text rendering speed (Qt vs. native)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Correction: If it is a TTF, then it uses antialiasing by default. If it is a bitmap font, then not.

Why use bitmaps is this day and age?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

I dunno. Only found out because Qt's default font was set randomly to Helvetica 17 (which doesn't exist, and strangely it looks as if it scales UP from 15 instead of down from 18...).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@Elwood
hieronymus is buggy. Its totally lockup the pegasos2 when you tryint to use it. I do not remember, but it works only on some kind of machines (or only on a1, or only on sams). I write to author about some time ago, but in latest SDK hieronymus is still lockup peg2.

Hieronymus only works on AmigaOne at the moment. The bug is in the OS unfortunately. Maybe I have an idea to run it on Sam440 but I haven't tried.

I am sure that with tools like that but more advanced, we could find pitfalls in our programs.

Quote:

@alfkil
About what i thnik lately, its about somekind of addon/plugin for Valgrind (linux), so we can somehow profiling amigaos4 bins on the linux. As our binary format already "elf" , it can be easy to add some necessary code to valgrind to have support.

Of course we can't use all the valgrind tools, and we even can't load (i think) amigaos4 binary to it to have ability to use all the valgrind parts, but for sure we can reuse some profiling parts. Have you interest to have a look at this ? At least we have cross-compilers, so all is here already ..

Valgrind is really a great tool.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Corto
Quote:

Hieronymus only works on AmigaOne at the moment. The bug is in the OS unfortunately.

No luck that it will be fixed in next update ? I mean did you report it of course and so on, just no one fix it currently ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
when we talk about profile etc noone seems to mention the ggc profiling tools in SDK.

There is ofcourse a minor issue in that libgcov.a seems to cause crahes, but I would think that getting this working would be very benificial.

Any ideas on how to fix or replace it?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

afxgroup wrote:
As i told you on skype there is a QT implementation that doesn't redraw the entire image every time but only the damaged zones. And actually our implementation use the first method.
It is possible that the second implementation will speed up a lot the whole draw process

I thought that this was the default way how Qt handles the drawing? While developing a Qt application for N900 I noticed that paintEvent is called only when the area needs to be redrawn, for ex. when the content changes or something is overlapping etc...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Pecosbil

It IS the default method. But I'm not sure wether it works as it should or not. Especially because of the rendering problem in QScintilla. So it is on my todo list to find out how it actually works.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@corto Quote:
Hieronymus only works on AmigaOne at the moment. The bug is in the OS unfortunately.

Are you sure? I though the problem was due to Hieronymus using a feature unsupported by the Sam440's CPU?

Edited by ChrisH on 2012/2/12 12:03:18
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@corto Quote:

Are you sure? I though the problem was due to Hieronymus using a feature unsupported by the Sam440's CPU?

I am sure: a bug was filled in the OS4 tracker.

There is a feature that is not supported by the 440 core : it has no performance monitor. But it is not used in Hieronymus to profile but only to give the number of cache misses, as a bonus.

broadblues : If have not tried gprof on Amiga because I think with this kind of approach, it may be intrusive, it is necessary to recompile and it can't profile dynamic libraries.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
News: Not exactly about text speed, but I have implemented texture drawing using graphics.library CompositeTags, and it seems to be faster than miniGL rendering . New release comming soon!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@alfkill
So qt-programs will be faster now?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Joeled

Yes, but rendering will be less acurate. For this reason I have put in two options in the Qt prefs: Native Painting and Native Fonts.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
Yes, but rendering will be less acurate.

Just curious why it will be less accurate? Oh and nice to see new OS-features to be utilized.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@flow

Depending on how much work I put into it, some features are just too hard to implement using only graphics.library and nothing else. I'm thinking of rotating of text (could maybe be done with CompositTags...), pen styles, that are not solid and not 1 pixel wide, acurate rendering of texture brushes etx etc. Again time is the most crucial resource here, and also feasability, because eventually we will have MESA, and all this work will be redundant (more or less).

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

alfkil wrote:
Depending on how much work I put into it, some features are just too hard to implement using only graphics.library and nothing else. I'm thinking of rotating of text (could maybe be done with CompositTags...)

Yes, CompositeTags can do 3D vector rotations, so a simple rotation of text should be possible. I don't understand vector rotation at all, so don't ask me how to do it!

Scaling and alpha blits through CompositeTags are far faster than through BitMapScale and BltBitMapTags.

Quote:
, pen styles, that are not solid and not 1 pixel wide, acurate rendering of texture brushes etx etc.

I had similar issues with NetSurf's graphics.library plotter - it doesn't support arcs, bezier curves, different line widths etc. Also you don't get anti-aliasing for free when drawing curves with graphics.library. It is better to use Cairo for drawing, unless you need clipping, which seems to be quite slow still (but far far faster than in earlier versions of Cairo; I'd rather attach Cairo to a RastPort and do clipping through that, shame this isn't possible as that should resolve the performance issue).

If you are line drawing with graphics.library you might want to look at Cairo if Qt doesn't do heavy amounts of clipping (NetSurf does clip-draw-clip-draw-clip-draw which really slows it down, so I took out Cairo clipping, only graphics.library parts get clipped , but this doesn't make any real world difference visually)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Just for now, maybe you can tell me how to attach a cairo context to a RastPort?? I can only find cairo_amigaos_surface_create, which attaches directly to the BitMap, which is not so useful with windows. Of course I can render into memory and then blit, but eh...

Also did someone post an updated doc for CompositeTags()?? I don't think the one from the SDK has everything in it...

EDIT: On a related note, maybe someone here can help with this

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Check your PM :)

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

alfkil wrote:
Also did someone post an updated doc for CompositeTags()?? I don't think the one from the SDK has everything in it...

Yes, Rogue posted updated documentation here.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@alfkil

Quote:
Just for now, maybe you can tell me how to attach a cairo context to a RastPort?? I can only find cairo_amigaos_surface_create, which attaches directly to the BitMap, which is not so useful with windows. Of course I can render into memory and then blit, but eh...

You can't, hence my comment:

Quote:

I'd rather attach Cairo to a RastPort and do clipping through that, shame this isn't possible as that should resolve the performance issue

You have to attach it to a BitMap (which has to be ARGB32) then blit that to the window, which is what I thought you were doing anyway? It's usually easier as you only need to take the window border etc into account at the point you blit, rather than for every operation.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@chris

Quote:
You can't, hence my comment.

Sorry, I just got eye surgery, my reading must be impaired. Gotcha!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »