Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

MickJT, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »
Re: Simple wishlist for next AmigaOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:

....On morphos opengl (tinygl) are good. On AROS already mesa with gallium integrated, but on aos4 which real amigaos, we have the worse framerates even if compare just with morphos on the same hardware (i not say about win32 drivers). Really sad.

I in really and big hope that Hanz will finish all his hard work with it, and it will be better than the current realisation. Its just should be :)

...Realted to UAE integration: for me the better choice its saimo's GLUAE. There is only 2 scripts, which are configs in general. And you just press on icon, and game runs. With exactly neeed it scren size, and so on.

+ 1

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
How about a file replacement requester that offers more info on the 2 files in question!

Date/Time of old and new files, if a picture, than perhaps a thumbnail of the old and new.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@vox
Quote:

- USB Scanner and Laser printer drivers (HP, Cannon)

Wow. I'm really surprised printing got such a minor
and unique mention.

The AmigaOS printing system was decrepit when Commodore
was circling the drain and the intervening 16+ years
hasn't helped much.

Will replacing some drivers help enough? We really
could use a new system. And whenever OpenOffice appears,
this shortcoming will get even more blatant.

Does this mean a port of CUPS, like OSX did?

Hopefully a much better job than Apple did.

We shall see.

PJS

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@vox

You can forget mui4 as its used on morphos and i dont think they want it ported as they worked on it and updated it so its theirs. But ofcourse if AROS makes their gui to be more mui4 compatible then maybe we could see a port of the AROS part for os4. But only future will tell. But as you know Reaction is the GUI OS4 uses and its updating just like mui4 is updated for mos. Mui3.9 is there so you can run all the classic and os4 apps that needs mui. Lets go forward and forget all this. I also like to have mui4 but i understand its no go.

Fat32 i want to be more stable so it doesnt corrupt usbsticks etc.
NTFS is the most wanted for me as then i could write big files to usbsticks and use it on my xtreamer/laptop to transfer files. Too bad my playstation3 dont have NTFS support :(

Other then this just continue on the good work :) I want x1000 now :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@pjs

yes how can I forget to fix printing via USB printers..though hopefuly rwo will get his DOT4 driver working some time soon

also stable & functional USB2.0 is a must in the next update

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
MAJOR VS MINOR
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I don't know about you but I would be very glad to receive the two most requested "minor" features (in a minor update of course) by all people I show my Sam to, which are: a built in thumbnail engine (no more os4depot utilities please) and.....a "BACK" button!!

Yes you know, you dig into a directory tree in workbench (with the "close parent automatically" feature turned on) and then have a tiny "arrow shaped" button close to the "iconize" one to get back a couple of branches if you whish without having to re-open the drawers from scratch (and without filling the screen with opened windows you then have to manually close one by one ).

Right now there is the "open parent" feature but it's a menu option which is slow and awkward compared to a back button (try getting 4 branches back, and see the difference between pushing a back button 4 times repeatedly and using 4 times the "open parent" menu option...) PLUS, it leaves the folders you were using (or "passing through") open even if you have "close parent automatically" turned on, as the latter works only when you move forward and not backward unless you use "open parent" with the the Amiga key pressed down, this will both open the parent and close the folder you were using, but still...... a menu option+a keyboard function key held down for thre or 4 times in a row??

It would be sufficient to have a new gadget "linked" to the latter feature/behaviour and that's it (how difficult might that be?).

P.S.
Ans yes add to those two, some fast 3D acceleration and we're done (Memory protection and SMP can come later in a MAJOR OS update).

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

[...] add HW acceleration to gfx.library (where worthwhile)

Err... graphics.library has been HW accelerated since Kickstart 1.1. Maybe you meant 2D acceleration for alpha blits ?

Go to top
Re: MAJOR VS MINOR
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DAX Quote:
a built in thumbnail engine (no more os4depot utilities please) and.....a "BACK" button!!

Both of those would (basically) be solved by including Filer with OS4...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DAX

Post #26

Not exactly what you are looking for, but isn't there RAmiga-Shift to automatically open the parent drawer while you click on the close-gadged of a Drawer-window?

It works here on AmigaOS4.1u2

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigadad

Quote:
How about a file replacement requester that offers more info on the 2 files in question!

Date/Time of old and new files, if a picture, than perhaps a thumbnail of the old and new.

That's great idea, thanks !!!

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@thread

New Intuition would be the most important thing to me personally. Safe (not so easy to lock up), resource tracked and executing gadget class codes in safer place (instead of fragile input.device).

If I was a gaming FPS junkie I would be using Windos or game consoles anyway so I don't bother with OpenGL rates just because some "competitor" "does it better" (or whatever).

@DAX
Quote:
"open parent" feature but it's a menu option

If it had a keyboard shortcut it would make it better ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Amigo1
That's certainly better (still not a match for a proper back button but alas...) anyway thanks a bunch I didn't know about it! :)
Now if we could link this behaviour to a simple arrow shaped gadget it would be done (how difficult would it be to do it?)

@ChrisH
Personally (while I do use filer) I'm not a big fan of external apps taking care of simple things that should be built in (things that should simply be a given), I'm not saying AOS has no way to handle such simple tasks, but at the moment, when I show it to friends, they all find it a little awkward (it would be more a thing for new/back comers in practice).
I don't think it would be difficult either, a minor update could have such improvements I presume...

@TSK
For me yes, for new comers/back-comers no. Look at that Right-Amiga+Shift+close button combination Amigo1 suggested, it works, but a I didn't know about it until now.
I understand some obscure combination or setting up a custom keybord shortcut for complex stuff only a few use, but a back button (even more so considering that the "effect" of the feature is already present) should be a given IMHO (and not just in my opinion, but in the opinion of anyone I show OS4 to).
It's just a tiny arrow how bad would it be?

Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

If it had a keyboard shortcut it would make it better ?

Alt+Up

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@centaurz

Quote:
Err... graphics.library has been HW accelerated since Kickstart 1.1. Maybe you meant 2D acceleration for alpha blits ?

Something like that, yes. Composite() is good but BltBitMap(), BitMapScale() and associated functions don't use hardware acceleration even though Composite() does on the same configuration.

I don't know whether there is any other gfx card acceleration that can be added.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris
Alt+up leaves the "parents" all open (if you are going back, say, 5 levels, you will have several opened windows cluttering the screen which you will need to close).
Amigo1 sugestion works the way I like, if I could have the same behaviour out of an arrow shaped gadget than Bingo!

Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@DAX

Amigao1 had already suggested that (which I'd forgotten you could do anyway), so I was just adding the other one to the mix

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK
Quote:

If I was a gaming FPS junkie I would be using Windos or game consoles anyway so I don't bother with OpenGL rates just because some "competitor" "does it better" (or whatever).

There i should put "facepalm" image , but i think you agree that we all can use Windos for everything already, and that is not the main point ?

The main point its do everything right. The whole world not want to have slow OpenGL. What we talk about all in all, you think that OpenGL only for gaming ? (pfff). What about that sucking LodePaint which works over OpenGL, and because of slow realisation of OpenGL, only ppls with 1ghz can use it "more or less fine" (withj jerkenes and slownes).

And why you think that if you not want modern games on os4, all the other users don't want it too ?

Personally, more of it, i should say, that if there will be not normal opengl realisation in next year-two (maximum), many of us for sure will jump to morphos or whatever (and there is not need answer like: do it right now, i hope we all understand what i mean here).

It not about me only. Its about everyone. Everyone want to have OS , which modern and still amigaos, but not os for the rare freaks only.

Did you see how many os4 users like to play in SuperTuxKart on os4 ? And how all they in sad mood that our opengl is slow to handly it properly on os4 ?

Did you want to give for whole world (and for newbes, which only can help to growup OS and life of os) the opinion that os4 have the wors possible opengl realisation by speed ?

Did you know, that many games from some porters still on ours hdd, just becayse releasing it with current-slow opengl realisation, it only show the Os4-opengl weakness, and because of it, users can't play in it (but they want, just check the threads about games here).

Did you want to have OS4 where users can plays at all in that sucking Quake3 (At least) at normal resolutions with normal FPS ? Not ? Check the all the threads on all the amiga related forums. Almost all the "plain users" want to have better framerate, because it not about benchmarks even, it about just visually jerkenes which detectable by eyes.

Did you know how many authors of many modern opengl games, when i contact with them in trying to speedup one port on another was in surprise that on 1ghz of cpu, our opengl give such slow results ?

All that sounds pretty strange for me, hope you not os4 devloper who say for others that "opengl not need it for us".

If we will think in a way "no need this, enoug of this", we will have:

-- primitive WB (because not need to include Filer, because we can use total comander on win32).

-- primitve OpenGL (because we not play in games on os4, because we plays on win32 and consoles)

-- primitve decorations (for what, if i will need good looking stuff, i will use windows with some unbeliveble themes)

-- not any ports (for what, aos4 only own the world, and it only native and true os, but all those ports we can plays on win32 and linux)

-- we not need new drivers for HD cards (hanz should stop to works on it, because for what, we already have drivers for radeon9250. enough already , yeah!:) ).

-- no ports of any linux libs. That is linux, if we want linux, we can use linux.

and so on, and so on.

Why i say about "competitor does it better", its just because its almost the same OS, on absolutly the same harware. And it show pretty clean, that our opengl slow in 2 (!) times. Its 100%. Its not about "some fps". I of course will be in silence, if difference will be only a few fps, but there is in 2 times difference. That bad.

I just hope you answer too fast, without thinking about (just hope:) )

Its even not about working on opengl right now by you, it just "wish-list", and even in wish list, some one say "we not need normal opengl. our slow realisation are cool".

Strange and pitty.

Edited by kas1e on 2010/10/11 18:44:47
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox

Her is my dream list.

1. Fully working Timberwolf all included.
2. Skype or some kind of Skype clone or any voice over IP technology..
3. USB2.0
4. New and faster 3D graphic system (OpenGL2.0 or DirectX12 compatible api).
5. SMP support
6. Better memory protection.
7. Text editor whit integrated spell checker that works, by underlining misspelled words, symbol highlighting.
8. New TCP/IP stack that support fast Ethernet.
9. MUI4 so that we can port MUI4 application from MorphOS whit out change.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2010/10/11 18:49:01
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

OpenGL2.0 is 100% real (by mesa) and even ogl3.0 with all that shaders stuff. For DirectX12 - will it opensource ? As i know, directx12 also will be in support by Gallium (which will be for us later with mesa), so maybe even directx idea not that unbeliveble. More is better :)

With MUI4 i think we only can be in hope about some Zune on aros improvements and then porting it to os4 (core team for sure will not do that).

For skype there is also some 3d party porters can do the work imho later.

But others up to core team, and sounds pretty real :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
I imagine that once X1000 & Sam460 are released to public (i.e. OS4 is finished for them), then Hyperion can concentrate on improving AmigaOS4 again. It *looks* to me that OS4 development has slowed while they work on those, although I'd love to be told I am wrong.

From what has been said in public, it sounds like they *might* start working on SMP (multi-core support) for X1000 straight away, although I think they'd do better porting Gallium (new OpenGL) to OS4, since it would benefit nearly all users (as you say).

As far as smaller things go, I think we can pretty much guess that USB2 will get finished (if not already), and it would seem daft if they didn't debug FAT support (for memory sticks & USB HDs). Those are two obvious problems for many users.

Apart from that, I hope they'll find some time to make a usable version of Timberwolf, since OWB seems to be the main thing used to bash OS4 these days (even if OWB is actually quite good). IMHO they should *stop* chasing the latest release of Firefox (since development moves so fast), and just try to get *a* version of Firefox working OK-ish, before worrying about making it up-to-date.

Edited by ChrisH on 2010/10/11 22:54:01
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »