Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: The A1Floppy thread
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ tonyw

> Great news. What did you change to get it working?

First I had a pin bowed (not broken... puff puff), then the connection was hooked the wrong way, I chonged one part, then the other one, then both, then I came finally with the right system... The pin 0 on both the mb and the floppy drive are difficult to spot. You told me it was where the power lead came, but it was the other way...

Sorry for the trouble, and again, many thanks

Luca

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Ricossa

See here

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

If it says it is a 720 kB disk, then it could only read it at the data rate for a 720 kB disk, and it must be formatted that way.

I don't know what AROS does to squash more data onto a floppy. You can sometimes step the head past the 80-cylinder limit and squash more cylinders in that way, but that won't work on all drives and the VIA SB doesn't like it.

Alternatively, you could possibly increase the data rate slightly and/or reduce the sector spacing on each track, but the VIA SB won't allow that either.

Can't remember what happens with the DD/HD hole. IIRC there is no indication from the VIA SB whether the hole is open or covered. I'll have a look at the code again (it's a year since I've been in there).

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@tonyw

Thanks. DD disks work fine, it just doesn't recognise HD. The drive is ok as I've used HD disks on Linux in the past.

Chirs

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw

I'll have a look at the code again (it's a year since I've been in there).

Thanks for your works! I've check my A1floppy system and works as advertised!

The def_Icons were a crappy setup. My changes:

Renamed "def_dosdisk" TO "def_disk"
Renamed "def_DF0" TO "def_FD0"
Renamed "def_MS0" TO "def_PC0"

Replaced the PC0 image with Ken Lester Jr's - red Win disk. Works and looks good now!

Will someone consider these icon updates?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw & @Thread

Excellent advice and tips! I will try out my floppy drive with OS4.0 final when I get home after my travels.

TrevorDick

AmigaOne X1000 betatester
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
and it appears to pick it up as DD rather than HD

Most likely because you did not tell the device, that you have changed disks, you need to do that whit the diskchange command in c:

Diskchange FD0:

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@LiveForIt

No, it does it whatever, even if I have put nothing other than DD disks in the drive since switching it on.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Please don't tell people to use "Diskchange". It does not tell the driver anything, it only tells the filesystems and they can't tell the driver that a new disk might be there.

To get the driver to check the disk formatting, you must use the FDTool utility, either in immediate mode or auto.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

Sorry about that, do you use the TD_EJECT command, to tell that new disk is inserted or do you do it some other way? (This is how I do it.)

Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/1/16 15:58:51
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

TD_EJECT is not supported by the floppy driver. The internal "identify disk" function determines if a disk is present, then reads it in HD and DD format until it gets an error-free result. It then calls all connected filesystems if there is any change.

The DiskChange command does not issue any requests to the driver, only to the filesystems, so the driver is not told that a disk has been changed.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

?The DiskChange command does not issue any requests to the driver, only to the file systems, so the driver is not told that a disk has been changed.?

You?re correct; the command should probably be updated so it becomes more device driver friendly.

?It then calls all connected filesystems if there is any change.?

TD_ADDCHANGEINT and TD_REMCHANGEINT work just fine, but what?s missing is some thing that informs all attached File Systems that the devices are busy.

It?s theoretically where dangers to have file systems operating on cashed data at the some time as physical data is changed.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)