Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

Maijestro, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: sam
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Hi All,

I think that only industrial clientele will be able to buy Samantha without AOS4.x CDs.

It would completely defeat the premise of why licensing was created if AOS4.x capable MBs were available for general sale, and AOS4.x was COMPLETELY optional. Sales would be near non-existent (is my view).

If the hardware is sold only with OS4, then the hardware company will go bust, and there will no hardware for those who want Amiga OS 4. It's suicide for all involved. Remember OS4 ATM uses a different Uboot setup also. For the boards to be priced low they are going to have to have a market to sell to. Sell it for all the OSes - Linux, BSD, Amiga OS, Morph OS, Solaris etc. if it helps to keep hardware available for OS4, who cares. It's about survival.

OS4 needs to be written for more platforms and not rely on a specific board or its DEATH.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
wolfe wrote:

If the hardware is sold only with OS4, then the hardware company will go bust, and there will no hardware for those who want Amiga OS 4. It's suicide for all involved. Remember OS4 ATM uses a different Uboot setup also. For the boards to be priced low they are going to have to have a market to sell to. Sell it for all the OSes - Linux, BSD, Amiga OS, Morph OS, Solaris etc. if it helps to keep hardware available for OS4, who cares. It's about survival.

OS4 needs to be written for more platforms and not rely on a specific board or its DEATH.

Hi wolfe,

Well, that WAS the whole idea behind Amiga Inc.'s strategy, some manufacturer gets involved with producing AmigaOS MBs (exclusive), nothing else. If they don't have enough capital to do so, then why do they bother?

Nothing wrong with that strategy, I applaud them for being bold enough to do so, it's just unfortunate that there is only ONE corporation, induvidual, that had the guts to get involved, and that's Alan Redhouse, owner of Eyetech.... Thank you Alan. I'm sorry that things didn't quite work out.

Okay, there are a few others, but nothings come of them yet, and apologies to those unknown, that tried, and/or failed, or are still advancing toward introduction of something.

I fully intend on buying one of the new boards that are released, and will help by (as I've said before) not selling the AmigaOne XE I have right now. That should create two AOS4.x NG customers for a company or at least one for a competitor.

I plan to loan out the new one to someone to see if they'll buy an Amiga NG.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
IIRC the Sam440 design allows for different variations of the board on the same production line. If Ainc/Hyperion insist on dongelisation(is that a real word), boards destined for OS4 users could contain something the others don't.

I also read something about the Sam team being interested in having MorphOS running one the Sam440. If this is the case then they obviously don't want to limit options to desktop users.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)