Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »
Re: Simple wishlist for next AmigaOS
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vox

That's some list.

May be wrong, but I think there is already dual-sreen support, I'm sure Sam460 was shown driving two displays at VCF.

I think built in UAE (a run-in-uae style solution maybe) would be nice as a nod to the past, but I think the future is more important and Hyperion have to invest their resources carefully in what is most worthwhile.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@vox

Here's my 2 cents

I know it's not possible to get all the bells and whistles so I'll try to keep my wish-list "somewhat" realistic... I will be happy if just a few of these really gets implemented.

Appart from these:
* USB2 (comming shortly)
* Improved shell with tabs etc (comming shortly)
* SMP
* MP
* Java 1.3/1.5 (ok, maybe not possible at this moment but this is my personal wish)

So, my "small" wish-list:
* Improved/Optimized overall system performance (as usual)
* Possibility to swap <Alt>, <RAmiga>, <LAmiga> etc (think it's already comming)
* <Alt + Tab> as default shortcut for changing window
* Add <Ctrl+C>, <Ctrl+X>, <Ctrl+V> as default shortcuts for copy/cut/paste
* Improved support for JXFS, FAT32, NTFS, ext2...
* Improved Reaction
* Improved (wireless WEP/TKIP) network support
* Improved AutoDocs for SDK
* Possibility to change the bootpic
* Bundle more "optional" apps like Filer, Timberwolf, Ranger, AmiCygnix, AmiUpdate (?) etc
* Bundle/Integrate E-UAE and KS3.1/KS3.x for backward comp. and bang the hardware games
* Possibility to copy text in MultiView AmigaGuide (maybe already somehow possible?)
* A preferences application for prefs
* Bundle more datatypes like png, info, riff...
* Incorporate MySQL (when it's ported) into the OS
* Incorporate a "fast" and optional shutdown procedure for safety reasons
* An easy way to get to the parent window in WB (maybe <Backspace> button?)
* Introduce the PushDock
* A small status app with info/graph about memory/CPU/etc usage
* Enhanced trashcan
* Enhanced status bar (add Network indicator, clock/date, etc)
* Improve the system when started without the startup-sequence (it's somewhat buggy now)

Ok, I'll better stop now... ;)

EDIT: oh, I forgot these:
* Bundle LimpidClock (it's an awesome app)
* Default support for 7-Zip in UnArc (and for compression too if possible)
* A small delay in the WBStartup-window before closing the window during bootup (so you get a change to see something)

Edited by Marko on 2010/10/19 16:59:54
AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Marko

Quote:
* Default support for 7-Zip in UnArc (and for compression too if possible)

Oh yeah, I was supposed to be moving my 7-Zip plugin to be an OpenAmiga project, wasn't I? Completely forgot about that.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@vox

* Possibility to swap <Alt>, <RAmiga>, <LAmiga> etc (think it's already comming)
* <Alt + Tab> as default shortcut for changing window
* Add <Ctrl+C>, <Ctrl+X>, <Ctrl+V> as default shortcuts for copy/cut/paste

Alt+Tab for switching between applications would be nice yes, not windows.

I don't know how cut and paste works on Amiga these days, but it should be like on the Mac ie: LAmiga OR RAmiga + XVC.

No need to change to Windows Ctrl+XCV !!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@djrikki

Quote:
I don't know how cut and paste works on Amiga these days, but it should be like on the Mac ie: LAmiga OR RAmiga + XVC.

No need to change to Windows Ctrl+XCV !!

I don't mean changing/replacing the default ones, I mean adding/ in addition to. There can multiple shortcuts for an action...

Currently <RAmiga+C> is for copying, but my wish is that <Ctr+C> (Win/*Nix uses this) can be used too.

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Marko

Quote:

Marko wrote:
Currently <RAmiga+C> is for copying, but my wish is that <Ctr+C> (Win/*Nix uses this) can be used too.

No. This is a bad idea. Ctrl-C is (Shell) BREAK, it's an utter mess on Windows/Linux where you have different copy/paste shortcuts in the CLI than anywhere else, simply because Ctrl-C (and other keyboard combos using Ctrl) have other uses there.

Also, retro-fitting it into umpteen applications is a task that the OS developers won't be able to do.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Hmmm, you have a point indeed.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
What you say makes sense... but Ctrl-C is *still* easier to use, because it only requires one hand, where-as RightAmiga-C requires two. Perhaps LeftAmiga-C (or LeftAlt-C) should be used instead...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

What you say makes sense... but Ctrl-C is *still* easier to use, because it only requires one hand, where-as RightAmiga-C requires two. Perhaps LeftAmiga-C (or LeftAlt-C) should be used instead...

I can manage one handed here, either you have a big keyboard or small hands?

Seriously though, I think your right, left-Amiga key makes more sense as it's closer, for cut, copy and paste. Maybe either Amiga key for these commonly used shortcuts would make the most sense?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

That's why I use AmigaKeyRemapper on all my Amiga systems.

@Daniel

Quote:

Sure I can manage it (barely), but it's inconvenient and it makes my fingers hurt if I have to do it a lot.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

I'm in for both or either one of
* <LAmiga+C> and <RAmiga+C> or
* <Ctrl+C> and <RAmiga+C> for copy
Either one these is still better than just <RAmiga+C>, IMHO.

@Daniel

Quote:

I have rather small hands so I've to use both the left and right hand + I have to lower my look to find the keys too :-/.
But <Ctrl+C> or <LAmiga+C> I can do with only one hand and without looking (!) .

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Using the Left Hand to activate menus or keyboard shortcuts is pretty common these days right?

On a Mac keyboard the pair of Apple keys are in the exact same place as the Boing keys therefore and whether you are left or right-handed you can use either to cut, copy or paste.

So..

Apple + XCV = Boing + XCV!

Or you could use the boo hiss Windows way and use CTRL.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Came across a few clues at possible GUI features on there way when reading an article on FriedenHQ, including this on minimising windows...

Quote:
Suppose you have an "Iconify" button in your window border that you just clicked. If you have several icons on your desktop, chances are that you start looking for the icon of your iconified window. If, however, the window iconification is animated (for example, by zooming the window "into" the icon) you immediately know where the icon went.

See http://www.friedenhq.org/index.php?op ... atid=34:amigaos&Itemid=56

Go to top
Anonymous
@Daniel

Tried to incorporate everything, now WB enhencements are major section, too

Dropped the keys to ability to use both Amiga keys + request for bundled key mapper

Kindly beginng SUPREME COUNCIL to present it / send it to Hyperion as "wishlist roadmap" in front of Amigans.net, as I believe its better then sending it as individual

And yes, add some of their ideas

--------------

I agree that this is just user wish list, and would be our idea of roadmap. Its plenty ideas Hyperion could fulfill step by step, lets say, by OS 5.0 even adding some of their new. They are probably aware of most of it, but are they of all of it? I am still in for adding some more ideas and having it posted to Hyperion. We can always compare "what is done" to "what we wanted" (e.g. which points have improved) and where they had ideas over the user list,
so there is no evil in it. Somehow for me, it constitutes "OS 5.0 feature list" - OS 4.x is giant step forward, but this is the way we want it to be improved

HIGH PRIORITY (13 points)

1. drivers : especially USB 2.0, drivers for new and faster ATI with full 3D support and a new range of supported wifi cards.

2.much better openGL support; improved 3D performance Hardware OpenGL support for Radeon cards (e.g. using MESA, Gallium 3D) but NOT slow as it is

3. Stable USB 2.0 device support

4.memory protection -- this above all else! Better memory protection, like enforced MEMF_PRIVATE flag (or a new such flag) would be very welcome too.

5.classic environment ready to run out-of-the-box, since Hyperion has acquired kick roms and OS
Glue U-UAE with KS 1.3 and KS 3.1/CD32 for full OS 3.x compatibility built in / bundle RunInUAE OR something easy and simple as AmigaForever and Amikit

6.an OS4 website, including links to popular apps

7. a well-written manual 1. an OS4 website, including links to popular apps
a well-written manual

8. transition to a more modern printing backend to support newer printers/scanners; more intuitive printer setup utility, USB Scanner and Laser printer drivers (HP, Cannon, All in One printers)

9. support for NTFS (and ext2, if possible) / Full FAT32 and NTFS read/write support for removable devices and hard drives, improved JXFS

10. Support for multiple cores or at least dual cores/XMOS support for X1000 owners

11. advanced dual monitor support ? twining, making selectable windows and screens displayed at different monitors

12. Boots off CD and hard drive everytime on all supported systems

13. Default support for RAR, LZX, 7-Zip in UnArc (and for compression too if possible)

APPS,GUI, TWEAKS (22 POINT)

01.Prefs center - rework preferences (consolidate, remove, focus on UI, etc.) A prefs center, Prefs are confusing for new users ? make them better organized Streamlined prefs with some prefs programs done away with or combined

02. Enhanced status bar (add Network indicator, clock/date, etc)
A small status app with info/graph about memory/CPU/etc usage

03. Possibility to change the bootpic

04. Good 3rd party apps that could go standard:

Firewall: Granite
CD player: PlayCDDA (instead of the old PlayCD)
Locale Maker: FlexCat 2.7
Paula emulator: NallePuh
Updater: AmiUpdate
PNG icon module
Sgrab optimized for background process, using gfx rather then cpu
File Manager: Filer
Browser: Timberwolf
SnoopDOS: Ranger
X-Windows: AmiCygnix
Updater: AmiUpdate
Amiga Classic: E-UAE + glUAE (with KS files 1.3, 3.1, CD32)
Clock: LimpidClock (it's an awesome app)
Office: OpenOffice Lite (when its done)

05. Def icons problems:

* s add new filetypes to the DefIcons database.
* It?s hard to configure it, most users don?t understand it.
* Its only possible to have one application per def icon, it?s not where flexible
* It?s is too easy to make mistakes whit the result of broken def icons.

06. WB Improvement:
Workbench has to be replaced with something like Ambient or improved (e.g. dual listing, avi priviews etc) Filer and integrate it to the system.

07. more work on ReAction

08. Choice of default disk and drawer icons or maybe icon sets ...
For example, if I choose OS4.0 look and feel, I would like to see disk and drawer icons like the ones from OS4.0 July 2007 Update.

09. Multi-user system

10. An enhanced trashcan, something like the third party GlobalTrash maybe

11. Some new datatypes and enhanced MultiView, e.g. controls for browsing through drawers of pictures/scaling of images to fit screen, etc.

12. multitouch interface - "Touch ReAction" is a nice brand (as was already presented
On a mobile phone and with SAM EP440)

13. Filemanager Dopus Magellan (even OS3 emulated, what happened to GuruMeditation port?) integrated or multiple listers (tabs) and maybe some programming interfrace like AVD template and SDK / programming guide to OS4 to boost devlopment

14. Keys: PowerPC optimized KeyMapper + Ability to use Left or Right Amiga + XVC for copy/cut/paste

15. Possibility to copy text in MultiView AmigaGuide

16. Various libs/datatypes (png, info, riff.) and so on ...

17. Incorporate MySQL (when it's ported) into the OS

18. Incorporate a "fast" and optional shutdown procedure for safety reasons

19. An easy way to get to the parent window in WB (maybe <Backspace> button?)

20. Introduce the PushDock

21. Improve the system when started without the startup-sequence (it's somewhat buggy now), A small delay in the WBStartup-window before closing the window during bootup (so you get a change to see something)

22. Some basic created and defined locations like APPS: GAMES: for new users)

LESS LIKELY BUT BIG UPDATES WISHLIST (15 POINTS)

01. Fully HW accelerate Cairo and add HW acceleration to gfx.library (where worthwhile)

02.Normal OpenGL, Acceleted and Full supported OpenGL 2 (DirectX if possible)

03. Java
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Jav ... ementations#Class_library

04. Flash
even free solution like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Scr ... oject#Open_Screen_Project

05. Improved/Optimized overall system performance (as usual) / More hardware accelerated and optimized OS for Radeon 9000 and HD, G3,G4,and EP440/460 CPUs

06.MUI4 native to catch up with MOS and improve
MUI look

07.RadeonHD and more GFX cards drivers (NVidia, Matrox)

08.Sound card drivers that support DSP chips and advanced features (ASYNCIO?)

09. Bugfix: For some reason some disk operations take all CPU time

10. New polished look again! And somehow simple and OS 4.0 style
will be cool to have WB in develop more, will be cool to have prefs organized better, will be cool to have some visual modern effects for amidock when you browse over it , will be cool to have GDB working normally"

11. Able to use HDMI on the graphics card, fix darker screen when using vga instead of dvi

12. Improved (wireless WEP/TKIP) network support, Wi-Fi support, maybe IPv6 support?

13. modern database tools

14. Improved AutoDocs for SDK

15. progress bar indicator" for aos4 developming, which users can check on some site, and know on which for now work is going, what we can expect soon or later, and in what priorities have all the parts which in developming. That imho will pretty reduce all that questions and waiting about knowing simply thinks for users. That also can be good marketing step, for hold current customers and attract new ones.
(Something like http://aros.sourceforge.net/introduction/status/everything.php )

Note: If we had a better Amiga business management system maybe the wish list wouldn't exist

Go to top
Anonymous
Doubleposted

Edited by vox on 2010/10/29 9:47:31
Go to top
Anonymous
@vox

Also, include WarpOS emu as standard

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... ibrary/misc/warposemu.lha

Improve Warp3D to a hardware render level to increase speed, and maintain WOS compatibility

Go to top
Anonymous
@vox

Sorry for duble post!

If 3rd party apps are not easy to become part of OS, maybe just bring back the CONTRIBS folder and let them be there in last incarnations when each new CD version appears!

Go to top
Anonymous
@salass00

4 of the major wishes are being worked on:

. the USB2 stack is feature-complete; release is being delayed in trying to support a few devices which do not adhere to the USB2 spec well; ETA was non-specific, but 'coming soon'

hyperion considers an overhaul of the printing subsystem to be a priority; the company is investigating various options, including CUPS; no discussion of support for firewire has been brought up yet

support for multi-core processors is job #1 on the kernel side; the roadmap for the future beyond the X1000 would also be based around multi-core processors, so such support is important (not just for the X1000); support is not expected by the release of the X1000, but anything is possible

this is the cool bit: say goodbye to miniGL -- OS4 is transitioning to gallium3D in the future

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@vox

Personally I would consider Firewire low-priority.. who actually uses it for anything meaningful?

I have a cable.. I used it once to transfer settings from mac to another... and another occasion to force my iMac to reboot from another mac because the internal HD was broken in order to reinstall the OS onto an external HD... not an everyday task.

Isn't firewire's primary purpose supposed to be used for importing quality video from a camcorder onto a computer?

Does the average user even recognise and use this technology yet?

Go to top
Anonymous
@djrikki

Would also love different PCI cards to be supported,
but the drivers are the weakest chain in OS 4.x
http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?function=browse&cat=driver

Firewire is fast and nice, but at new devices is usually no longer present, maybe at some pro models. USB2 is standard, slower one I assume but easily working.

However, will add it to the "later" list

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »