Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »
Re: We so need an updated browser!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Kas1le

Maybe we should look at the problem the other way round.

Maybe a really good browser would help level up the user base and consequently allow editors to sale many other softwares to this increased user base.

In other words : a really good browser could help bringing new people to OS 4.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
I agree with almost everything, but the JS JIT is not necessary to have a functional browser, see Odyssey.
Speaking of which, people were really spoiled because WebKit happened to be big-endian compatible and Fab built a browser around it and you made a port. There is nobody to fix the JavaScriptCore interpreter after 3 years (at least I'm not aware of anybody who tried), and they think A-Eon will port them a brand new browser from scratch? Good luck with that.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ask for a new browser: Jörg Strohmayer (Origyn Web Browser).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Slowly it goes on... who knows maybe, one day, IBrowse will be, again, the Browser for all the Amiga systems and, honestly, I will be happy!

http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/faq.php#Q1

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BSzili Quote:
and they think A-Eon will port them a brand new browser from scratch? Good luck with that

I don't follow your logic. Sure it's gotten harder. All that means is that it's less likely some one is going to do it for free in their spare time. And that means the paid route looks more & more like the only option.

The main question is how it would be maintained once the initial port was done. I'd suggest some kind of subscription. A modern web browser is so necessary for so many things these days, it's probably the one piece of software that a subscription might be seen as worth-while by a large part of the user base.

Probably better to do the initial port, see how it sells, and if enough people buy it THEN decide on a subscription level for further (perhaps annual) updates.

The LibreOffice port is unlikely to need frequent updates to stay useful, so perhaps A-Eon can look at a web browser port after they finish the LibreOffice port?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BSzili
Quote:
...and they think A-Eon will port them a brand new browser from scratch?

I wonder if anyone has looked at this:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tenfourfox
https://github.com/classilla/tenfourfox

I don't have a PPC MAC, so I don't know how good it is but it appears that it is still being maintained and updated.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

it work better than real firefox on linux ppc.
zero crashes ultra compatibility with websites.
Just on OsX dont play facebook video

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi, all.

Pardon my newbie-ness here. Brand new to the community. So perhaps an intro is warranted.... I'm a very long time Amigan, with my brother and I starting with an A500 and then an A2000, A3000T complete with bridgeboard, and an A4000. Been a software developer and tech entrepreneur (and lawyer -- but the kind everyone actually wants to see!) for decades, on every hardware and O/S platform I could get exposed to.

Just got back into the Amiga world as I've not actually _enjoyed_ computers in decades. I figured it was time for a change. I own companies, so I've owned hundreds of PC's and Macs and almost-exclusively-Linux servers: fun-level? Near zero.

I mention all of this as I'm wondering where the bouncing boing ball is on the C++ 11 standard libraries/threads/etc. as I, too, believe that there are exactly 2 must-have/killer-apps needed for any platform nowadays. A fully functioning browser (with fast JS engine -- able to run the latest that Google Suite and O365 throw out there) and a fully functioning/MS Office compatible suite. From what I gather, the LibreOffice port is well underway (great!).

As an aside, I believe 64-bits is kind of an assumed for most, but actually used by only a few, in my experience -- so 32-bit everything is OK for now.

Back to the point...and I ask here because I can't seem to get a better/more recent answer anywhere else....is C++ Std Lib (including its full threads) the biggest hurdle to a great port of whatever browser?

If so, does anyone know the specific barrier to porting either libstdc++11 or libc++11? Or even later versions, while we're on that topic.

I'd like to see if I can help, eventually, once I clear some stuff off my plate.

Last point, does anyone know if Hyperion is tackling this very issue as they tackle LibreOffice porting?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@stonecracker

Welcome!

Hope that a browser and an office software will materialize soon on the Amiga land.

Retired
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@stonecracker Quote:
Last point, does anyone know if Hyperion is tackling this very issue as they tackle LibreOffice porting?

Correction: It is A-Eon NOT Hyperion who are tackling the LibreOffice port.

And regarding if they are looking at a modern browser port (and presumably modern compiler support), there are a few small hints given in this rather long podcast interview:
http://www.amigans.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2576
(The short answer is probably yes, if the guy is to be believed (I've not heard of him before), but if so, then it is very unofficial - so they could still easily cancel it (before announcing it) if they ran into real difficulties.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I bet on IBrowse 3.0

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@stonecracker

Welcome.

Quote:
If so, does anyone know the specific barrier to porting either libstdc++11 or libc++11? Or even later versions, while we're on that topic.

AFAIK, there's no real technical barrier. We have GCC 5.3.0+, which is C++11 capable. It's just a matter of someone taking the time to implement the newer C++ stdlib.

If you're interested in helping out, then please contact the maintainer of our GCC port (link to adtools). He'll be able to tell you what needs to be done, and any relevant design ideas.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans
what we really need is somthing like is macports. for example the guys of teen4fox thanks to this tool are able to build new version of the gecko engine on the old osx leopard.
for what i know macports are like a geekgadget but in a cloud server. where every ports is build on the machine by the user every time they need something. ports build dependency, library and program need by user automatically. is a really usefull thing and can be really useful an engine like this to our community.

X5000/40 16GB
RasperryPi 1-2-3-4-(5)
A500 Mini.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@stonecracker

Hi!

Welcome back to the Amiga world

-Breed-

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@stonecracker

Hi, and welcome!

Our current browser (Odyssey) is based on Webkit (which is good), but the latest versions of Webkit dropped big-endian support in the JS engine (not good). So someone here needs to reimplement big-endian support in the JS-engine to prevent it from crashing at the first JS it runs.

Problem is: Noone who actually has the skills to do it (like for example me) have the time to do it. It seems like a pretty big job with lots and lots of code to go through and understand and test and fix. (Assuming, since I haven't actually looked at the code.)

Just setting up the build environment, which has to be cross-compile, and get all the dependencies together is a big hurdle. I tend to get so pissed of when I have to deal with dependencies and make problems that I almost throw the computer out, so I need a simple idiot-proof setup if I'm even going to think about trying to work on it. Maybe someone can help here...

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil

kas1e has already a build environment ready to use, no need to create a new one from scratch .. eventually just ask and try to work with him

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks, all, for the welcome.

@Denlil: from what I read here and elsewhere, the first issue with Odyssey or any other Webkit browser is a missing port/lack of a big-endian C++11 Standard Library (specifically threads?).

Also, for the JS interpreter/JIT, the blockage is also a missing/lacking C++11/threading library but if I understand correctly, there are other issues in the big-endian porting of the Odyssey JS that are beyond just the C++11 library problem.

And, from what I've read, it looks like there are some people who've taken some runs at possible solutions -- whether looking at porting little-endian x86 AROS/Icaros/etc browsers, or perhaps a port of TenFourFox, or (very daringly but perhaps ideally) a complete
port of Chromium -- but nobody has completed the work.

Lastly, I'm a bit fuzzy on where any possible bounties landed on this issue, and the state of the source code on any such bounties.

If anyone has more insight I'd certainly welcome it.

I think a nice place for my brain to rest is.... just how much of the O/S's problems/lack of software do the followers of this thread believe could be solved simply with a proper big-endian port of a (GNU?) C++11 Standard Library?

On a similar note, does AROS/Icaros have similar issues given its endianness? I just don't yet know enough about the state of browser/other software on AROS.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Thread

Another option to look at is QupZilla.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QupZilla

We need a recent port of Qt (5.1).

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@stonecracker

I think we already have c++11, at least with the available (but not "officially" supported...if there is something like "officially" anmore anyway) gcc 5.3.0.

I know i tried building one of my porting projects with c++11 enabled..it failed, so not everything is working there right now, but it should be easier to start from there than porting a whole new compiler...imho

You can get gcc 5.3.0 from here

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

So far our GCC doesn't support C++11 concurrency features, threads, mutexes etc. There is nothing technical preventing those (there is pthreads library for example), I guess it is a question of time or motivation.

At some point we must have those C++11 features or porting C++ code becomes cumbersome (when you have to rewrite those part in old C++).

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »