Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

nbache, livebyfaith74, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Wifi on X1000?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Anyone using wifi on their x1000? And if so, which card are you using?

X5000
Go to top
Re: Wifi on X1000?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I would be keen to know about this too. My X1000 is currently wired.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

This adapter works well

NetGear WNCE-2001.

http://www.netgear.com/landing/wnce2001.aspx

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
All I can say is NetGear = pile-o-crap. I've never had a NetGear product (mostly ADSL routers) that worked properly after the first month, most a lot less than that. I'm also considering wifi for mt X1000 but there's no way I'm going near a NotGreat card.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin
My experience has been different. I've been running a Netgear router continuously for over 6 years.
Quote:
I'm also considering wifi for mt X1000 but there's no way I'm going near a NotGreat card.

The NetGear WNCE-2001 is not a card. It's a small external adapter that plugs into a network socket on your computer. It can be powered by an external mains power adapter or with an included USB cable connected to the computer so that it comes on when the computer is turned on. I've been using one on my X1000 ever since I got the X1000. It uses DHCP so there is no fiddling with network settings. Because it's external it poses no danger to your X1000 like an unknown internal card. Once you've set the passwords in the WNCE-2001 while it's connected to your computer, you can disconnect it and use it on a game console, TV or any device that is network capable. It has an internal HTML page for making settings, so there is no need for additional software.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I'm using that device too, not for my X1000, but for my two Sams (440 and 460) which are in the living room, across the house from the router, where I didn't want to draw Ethernet cable. I have a switch after it, and the two machines connected to the switch. It usually works fine, except that it sometimes has problems getting a good WiFi signal, which is not the device's fault, but due to the distance and the number of walls in between. It is quite good at surviving the occasional signal drops, though.

Severin, I was actually thinking you should have had one of those last year at Recursion, where they only had WiFi and you couldn't get on it .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Doesn't Neil Cafferkey's 802.11g Atheros driver work on the X1000? At least the Prism2 one will, but it requires using the VERY old 802.11b standard. It does however do AES and WPA2 if you update the firmware on it via Windows (but is probably already up to date when you buy it these days).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I use wired too, my other half wanted to avoid extra long network cables through the house so after some frustration and explaining how in 2015 this computer still doesn't have WiFi support (!) I happened to stumble upon Powerline technology - which simply ticks every box for Amigans.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@djrikki
I'm still not sure if it ticks the security box based on articles like this:

https://www.bentasker.co.uk/documentat ... rline-homeplugav-adapters

It's doubtful that any of your neighbors are sophisticated hackers or that they would have anything to gain by hacking your system but it looks like the possibility exists.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Another box it doesn't tick here is the one for working at all.

The thing is, like all good carbon footprint conscious citizens, we use low energy lightbulbs everywhere in the house, and they have a tendency to chop the nice sine wave of the mains into very odd fragments of square waves, which is not suitable as carrier for such a solution.

I did try once. If I turned off all lamps in the house, it worked for a while, but as soon as I turned on one of them, the connection was hopelessly dead.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I never used WiFi with x1000. About Netgear products I always used their routers and all worked fine. My latest is asus just as I was curious and wanted usb3 (which I don't use). I could have gone further with Netgear if I didn't get the Asus. A little bit of unnecessary buy. My Netgear I had on my wall. The Asus can just stand (my model)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache
Is it possible that you have really old power line adapters? The article at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance
mentions that interference was a problem in early models but that those problems have been overcome in newer technology.

The RF noise produced by energy effecient light bulbs is minor compared to the noise produced by thouch lamps, touch lamp adapters and some light dimmer circuits. I once tried a touch lamp adapter that made AM radio and Shortwave radio reception near impossible because of the RF noise.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Quote:
Is it possible that you have really old power line adapters?
Well, the box has a copyright text with 2008 in it, but I think I bought it about three years ago. So maybe that qualifies as "really old".

The set is a "ZyXEL Homeplug PLA401 v2 starter kit". It does have a "Homeplug certified" icon on the box. It also claims "Data transmission rates of up to 200 Mbps", which suggests it is at least built to the Homeplug AV specs from 2005.

Thanks for the link. I don't see any explicit mention of the interference immunity having been improved in specific generations, though. Where did you find that information?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache
It turns out I gave you the wrong link. This is the one I intended:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug

In the history section it mentions interference problems in early models but seems to imply that those problems have been resolved in recent models. I have a relative that only has a few CFL bulbs in use and is using a HomePlug device to stream video from the second floor to a basement recroom with good results. Their WIFI router is on the second floor and WIFI reception in the basement is too weak for video streaming; possibly due to some steel crossbeams and metal heater vent system blocking the WIFI signal.

Unrelated, but in the last paragraph at the link I provided it indicates that HomePlug systems can also cause interference in HF radio signals.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

Thanks. That page had lots more info, and it seems to confirm that the most relevant steps forward in relation to noise immunity were made with the AV spec from 2005.

But apparently that isn't enough here, although this thread has given me an urge to try once more some day "when I get a round tuit" .

Best regards

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

Now i have my X1000 wired but i use this router year ago for wifi connect with Samsung Galaxy S3 (tethering)when i dont have wired internet in my old house

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin

Quote:Ah, yes, thanks, I already tried one of those, but it appears I need the deluxe version with a built in time machine, if I'm going to have any hope of actually working my way down the list

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin Quote:
All I can say is NetGear = pile-o-crap. I've never had a NetGear product (mostly ADSL routers) that worked properly after the first month, most a lot less than that. I'm also considering wifi for mt X1000 but there's no way I'm going near a NotGreat card.

Oddly enough, I swear by Netgear products & only use them. Any new products tend to be buggy as hell, but they do usually release firmware updates that fix it. (*)

Sadly I have found most other network manufacturer to be far far worse. Don't even mention Belkin or TP-Link.

(* = Their old routers used to be awesome, as they changed most settings on-the-fly, but now they've reduced themselves to about the same level as everyone else, where any change takes ages to apply, but at least they don't yet need to reboot to apply settings, unlike some.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique
I'm years late in replying(!), but am hoping it might be useful for other people:

I bought one of these ages ago from AmigaKit:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/c ... _info.php?products_id=158

Worked great in my Sam440, and now tested as working well in my X1000 with OS4.1 FE. But in the latter case I installed the latest prism2 (v2) drivers, rather than using those supplied by AmigaKit (ages ago).

I had previously manually installed new firmware in it (using a Windows PC), so that I could use WPA/WPA2 (rather than just WEP), and I can confirm this works great! I was able to use WPA2 to connect to both my home router's WiFi AND my phone's WiFi (in portable hotspot mode).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post