Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Youtube on AmiCygnix's NetSurf
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I seem to be the champion complainer in this forum!

Anyway, I guess I had never had occasion to try this before, but I clicked on a Youtube link in a Usenet post. Up came NetSurf tuned to the proper page, but no graphics, meaning not only no arrowhead to click on in the middle of the screen, but also no pictures in the list of other videos down the righthand side. Have I got something not set right, or is this the way Netsurf is supposed to work in AmiCygnix?

Theoretically, one could copy the URL and paste into Odysssey's address requester, but copy and paste between AmiCygnix and Workbench (or DOpus5 now) is another thing that works weirdly on my machine.

Go to top
Re: Youtube on AmiCygnix's NetSurf
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
a) (and I'm sure I've asked this before) Why are you using the AmiCygnix version of NetSurf rather than the native OS4 one?

b) That's normal. I'm not sure why there's no images, it probably needs raising on the bug tracker. It's been like that for as long as I can remember (so at least since Friday afternoon - Ed)

c) Copy and paste from the OS4 native frontend works fine.

d) YouTube videos do not play directly in NetSurf, it doesn't support HTML5 video or Flash.

e) If you use the OS4 version you can select Get Video from the ARexx menu and if it's installed it will play the video for you (well, it used to, but the version I have isn't working and it seems to have been removed from Aminet - there are other solutions that do similar things but you'll need to modify my ARexx script to call them)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

The current version of NetSurf in AmiCygnix is outdated, don't use it for everyday use. It is only for internal things like viewing documentations etc.

As Chris said before, HTML 5 is needed.

You should be able to copy the link in the address widget with "RAmiga + C", but it is not possible to copy page content.

I recommend SMtube from OS4-depot for youtube!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
+1 for smtube!

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

a) Can't use the OS4 NetSurf on AmiCygnix. If I click a URL in AmiCygnix, it's the AmiCygnix NetSurf that comes up, automatically.

But, d), it looks like no point in using any NetSurf available to me anyway. If I knew a way to access Usenet from OS4, I'd just use Odyssey.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

What are the advantages of SMTube over Odyssey? I guess I'll look into it, but the only problem I notice with Youtube on Odyssey is jerkiness with some videos. It would be good to cure that. But I have Ubuntu as a way around that problem.

I have occasionally got a message that I need to upgrade to the latest Flash; I can't remember if that happens with Youtube or not. Maybe SMTube cures that too. I'll look into it first thing tomorrow. Thanks.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Try SmTube and you'll never get back after that. Just try it.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kilaueabart

Quote:
If I knew a way to access Usenet from OS4

I use Microdot-II, but that's not really a viable option, so how about NewsCoaster?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris1

Getvideo (on YouTube) is strange, it only works rarely. Like, put the whole commandline into the clipboard and tap -rare. Or should I say: don't.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
If you want to retrieve GetVideo functions, as stated before in this thread, install SMTube and add it to Contextual Menus settings of Odyssey.

Resized Image

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@K-L

Not sure I'm smart enough. I clicked "AutoInstall" but just got a display of the text. I put the SMTube drawer on disk and clicked the smtube icon in it just to see what would happen, and it told me it couldn't open because it "Failed to load shared object libQtScript.so." But that file doesn't seem to be available on OS4Depot!

I went ahead and modified Settings > Preferences > Contextual Menus as instructed and Odyssey still plays Youtube videos OK. I suspect that means it isn't even looking at SMTube, since I don't get any "Can't open" message.

?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Nice looking application! Now if I could only remember my password on the news server I use. (And I see that my attempt to add that server has disappeared since I last "saved" the configuration.)

Even stupider than that, I found out that I CAN indeed copy URLs from AmiCygnix to Odyssey. I guess I had never tried; I have found myriad difficulties trying to paste URLs in Odyssey, and not only from AmiCygnix, I'm pretty sure. In fact, attempting to copy to Odyssey can have very bizarre results.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

SMTube requires Qt from Alfkill

After that you have installed Qt, follow this thread

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... _id=39157&forum=32#741318

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kilaueabart

Whenever Odyssey doesn't want to use the clipboard (like you expect it to), restart Odyssey.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@zzd10h

Thanks for the hint.

I'm downloading "beta version of Qt v.4.7 for AmigaOS 4 native" right now. That doesn't sound right, but I'll find out in half an hour. (Wow!)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Thematic

Will do. I think I was starting to notice that might work.

Yesterday I was having a problem where I could copy what I wanted into other windows, e.g. the one I was copying out of, but I kept getting a previous copy pasting into the desired window!

And today, it refuses to copy Japanese, converting it to "?????," just like Clipboards, so I'll give restart a try. (After a while. I'm almost afraid even to click "Submit" in case it would crash me in the middle of downloading qt.tar.gz. I have a feeling that Odyssey is behind many of my machine crashes.)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart

Quote:
And today, it refuses to copy Japanese, converting it to "?????,"

Yes that is expected, most programs only support ASCII with code pages, Japanese might require UTF8, and most programs can't understand that text format, or don't expect it.

What program do you try to paste the text into, that is the question.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

It sound good but don't forget to

1) download the most recent Qt libs in the qt4.7-0.9.1-minimal.tar.gz package here :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtamigaosnative/files/beta/

and copy the libs/* and new Prefs/Qt program

2) DON'T FORGET to download the latest Qt libQtCore from Alfkill and to install it in your Qt:Lib drawer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtami ... bQtCore.so.4.7.0/download

3) go in Prefs/Qt and check "Native Paint Engine" in Painting tab to avoid to use OpenGL.
All others options are unchecked (at least on my system).
you can too, put the 2 first characters of your Locale in the "default language". "fr" for French for me

4) Read the SMTube ReadMe of course to customize the Amiga/PlayVideo.rexx

I don't know what is your system but if it's a x1000/SAM460 without overlay, the Liveforit MPlayer (or MickJT SDL one) is the best MPlayer version.

PS : yes, it's complicated to install Qt, hoping that Alfkill will simplify that one day. But even with all these installations steps, it's a wonderful addon to our OS

If you have problem to install/use SMTube, use the dedicated thread, please

http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum ... php?start=0&topic_id=6564

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
Yes that is expected, most programs only support ASCII with code pages, Japanese might require UTF8, and most programs can't understand that text format, or don't expect it.

What program do you try to paste the text into, that is the question.

What you're trying to copy from is also important.

Traditionally the clipboard supports IFF FTXT with the CHRS chunk to specify text in the local character set. Some software extends this by providing a CSET chunk to provide clipboard content in a different character set, but this isn't common. The preferred method now is to put UTF8 chunks on the clipboard as well as CHRS. I'm not a massive fan of this as ignoring all the CHRS chunks when a UTF8 chunk is present seems a bit outside the spirit of IFF (a new IFF UTXT format which contains UTF-8 CHRS chunks and is doubled up with a traditional IFF FTXT might be better?), but until some better standard comes along it's good enough.

NetSurf supports both of these internally (not in Reaction gadgets, which don't support UTF-8), and I believe Odyssey supports UTF8 chunks in the clipboard. (I think Qt apps support UTF-8 in the clipboard too)

AmiCygnix may well support UTF-8 internally, but it might convert to local charset on the system-wide clipboard. You can find out by inspecting the clipboard with something like IFFMaster after copying some data to it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris
Quote:
AmiCygnix may well support UTF-8 internally, but it might convert to local charset on the system-wide clipboard. You can find out by inspecting the clipboard with something like IFFMaster after copying some data to it.

All GTK+ 2 programs are working with UTF-8 internally. If you copy something to clipboard, it is converted to the charset set by the environment variable "Cygnix/CHARSET" using iconv (through glib).
Data is only stored in a CHRS chunk.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »