Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

Skateman, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Queries continue
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm not sure I'm really using DOPus the way it is intended; it looks a lot like my Workbench did, except a bit neater. For one thing, I still have the dockies row, and find it much easier to launch things like YAM and Odyssey that way so far, but will continue to experiment.

One of two new questions has to do with my screen being neater. I ended up with a bunch of leave-outs from Workbench, and unable to control where they are going to appear, I want to put them away. So I do, either from RMB or Put Away (RA^P) in the Icons menu. But they alway come back when I reboot.

P. 34 of DOpus582.pdf tries to help by telling me:

"To remove the left-out from the main window, choose Put Away
from the RMB popup menu. This will not delete the command
itself; you must delete it manually from the DOpus5:Commands
directory if you want to get rid of it permanently."

I might do that, but as far as I can tell, there is no such thing as DOpus5:Commands.

Second, more minor question: is there anything like Workbench's "Reset Workbench" in DOpus? Too frequently CPUInfo will tell me that the CPU is working like crazy, even though I am not running anything. In fact, it sometimes happens right at boot-up. With Workbench I found that I could just click Reset Workbench and take the load off the CPU. So far with DOpus5 the only thing I can do is a warm reboot and hope for the best.

Go to top
Re: Queries continue
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

ok, I never use left-outs but here goes...

Turn off Show workbench Leftout icons in environment settins/wb emulation.

Make sure Environment/Icon Settings/Use Workbench Icon Positions is turned off, then dopus uses a single file to store all icon positioning instead of changing the icons. left outs are stored in the same file and updated properly.

workbench sets a leftout by adding it's path and name to a text file called .info in the root of the partition. you can edit or delete those manually or boot up into workbench and put away the icons.

Question 2:

try hiding (ramiga-h) dopus and unhiding it (right click on the title bar), or just stop using CPU meters

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Also, about CPUInfo:

When you see it showing a high load, but nothing much is running, try clicking inside the graph display of the docky - I usually find that it will "recalibrate" and continue with a more reasonable displayed CPU load.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

Thanks.

Interesting and slightly puzzling. I was happy to find the Show Workbench left-outs in the Environment setting early on. Now I realize that I should have just left them out all over again (at least until I figure out other quick ways to get to them). The ones I wanted to put away are now gone, and the ones I wanted out are out. I'm not sure why they're not now gone as well but I won't fight it.

I look forward to trying the Hide thing on the CPU the next time it gets busy for no reason. I'll try Niels' click-in-docky suggestion too. But I imagine I'll be replacing the docky with Buttons once I get the hang of setting them up.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I had a chance to try DOpus5 screen-hiding and clicking on the docky bar both today; CPU was running 33~35% when the screen came on. Neither of those worked, so I did a warm reboot. I wonder why Snoopy doesn't indicate any activity when the CPU is goofing off so much?

I've set up a couple of hot keys to launch YAM and Odyssey, usually the first things I do when I start the computer. First experiment on getting along without the docky. But I'm curious whether that is the sort of thing experienced DOpus users do?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Severin

Just a by the way, Workbench controls left out icons by listing their paths in a file called ".backdrop" in the root of the volume, not ".info". It's also easy to modify by hand as it's plain text.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Daedalus

Thanks for the info, it's a long time since I've used workbench and even longer since I've left out anything.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

Quote:
've set up a couple of hot keys to launch YAM and Odyssey, usually the first things I do when I start the computer. First experiment on getting along without the docky. But I'm curious whether that is the sort of thing experienced DOpus users do?

I have a button bank for most quickstart stuff:

Resized Image

as well as a custom program launcher I wrote, but I still use amidock for dockies.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
is there a collection of filetypes readaly available for the most common formats and based on a basic AOS4.1upd6 install ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Lio

Only what comes with it. Most people will edit those as they will want 3rd party software instead of system programs, eg. picshow instead of multiview.

Just grab a collection or several from aminet and edit the program and arg details, use appdir: to make it easier. The hard bit of identifing the types has been done for you but usually only by file extension not with magic numbers...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
thanks but my point was : we all have AOS4 and what came with it so a collection of filetypes matching whats in a default/basic AOS4 install would already be of great help !

for instance pdf : I was surprised there was no filetype for it, where AmiPDF is part of AOS4.

well it is not so important, it is just lazyness to recreate everything !

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

I failed to click Submit yesterday.

I had the idea I will soon learn to do button banks for a lot of things. Mine won't be as pretty as yours, probably. And I appreciate learning that even a staunch DOpus5 WBR user keeps amidock. But I am already finding it easier to launch Odyssey, etc., with hotkeys than by docky; I wonder if a button would be any easier than docky?

I'll have lots more stuff that fits "Queries continue," but I think it makes more sense to start new threads with more meaningful subjects and shorter scroll downs, so that's where you'll see me next.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart

Mine is just a light wood pattern as the bank picture, all the buttons as set as colour 0 for background which makes them tranparent.
The font is DejaVu Sans Condensed.font/14

Go to top

Register To Post