Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

unarc, xadmaster and co
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Have some theoretical questions:

1. Is UNARC use xadmaster + all those xad clients placed in the libs:xad/ ?

2. What UNARC use to unpack .lha archive, if, i do not have in the libs:xad/LHA client ?

What is make me wonder, is that we do have some newer .lha archives (packed on unixes, etc) from time to time, and while my UNARC always extract them fine , dopus4 show me some garbage files in some directories, and command for dopus4 was:

Quote:

xadUnFile FROM {f} DESTDIR {d} SFS NOABS

So dopus4 cleary use xad and show me few garbage-files in newer lha archives, but UNARC unpack them always fine. But how dopu4 even unpack lha files, if i didn't have xad lha client for example at all ?

I.e. if i do not have libs:xad/LHA at all, still, dopus4 unpack other lha files , and UNARC unpack _all_ lha files well. How it can be, if i didn't have libs:xad/LHA ?

Now, once i install new xad lha client, dopus4 show all fine and all works fine, but then , how it works before without module at all, and while UNARC works fine before too ?

Is they both use C:lha for unpacking when there is no xad client for ? And why there differences between unarc and dopus4 unpacks when there is none ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: unarc, xadmaster and co
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Unarc has a built in lha decoder as it's the default archive format for amigas that is overridden by libs:XAD/Lha.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

The internal LhA module has some bugs. It is highly recommended to use the external LhA module until we get an updated xadmaster.library.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
did i get it right that xadmaster have inbuild lha support and unarc too (different than one in xadmaster) ) only that can explain difference with unpacking when there no lha xad client

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
No Unarc uses xadmaster and xadmaster has a built in lha client (doesn't need aplugin) but that can overriden by the external one.

The inbuilt one has bugs as Chris said, it it's better install the external one from os4depot.net

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Andy
i got what chris say, but seems you miss main problem too : when i do not have libs:xad/lha, then unarc extract one lha archive fine, but dopus4 show fancy garbage in some places in very the same file. Qestion is : if both use the same inbuild in xadmaster, then why it different.

i know about bugs in inbuild. i want to know why there difference between unpacking via unarc and via dopus4 when inbuild unlha is used. with lha module all fine. i just want to know roots of difference in inbuild algo. maybe unarc have some filtering on garbage files and just skip them..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Rereading your original post I see that DOpus is not involved at all here, it's calling an external command.

So your real question is why does

xadUnFile fail on some archives when UnArc doesn't.

without source to both that's an awfully dificult question to answer.

What is different about the archives in question? Do they have utf8 filenames? Is it filenames messed up or filecontents?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
In fact why do you even care? Installing the fixed xad/lha fixes the xadUnFile tool so why worry, just inform DOpus users about the buggy external client. As it's external there isn't much at all you can do about it anyway.

If DOPus was access xad directly, it would be another matter.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
In fact why do you even care? Installing the fixed xad/lha fixes the xadUnFile tool so why worry, just inform DOpus users about the buggy external client. As it's external there isn't much at all you can do about it anyway.
Or use UnArc, which seems to work even with the internal, broken xadmaster.library lha client, instead of xadUnFile.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Andy
I worry only because want to know roots and to understand all stuff. :)

archives in question is those lha archives which packed by unix lha packers on unix boxes. for example yam , dopus5 and all others which packs on unix boxes. you can check it easy by grabbing yam nightly (or dopus5 one),remove for tests libs:xad/lha , and try to open/unpack on dopus4 and unarc.

my bet is that unarc filter garbage somehow, or skip strange files somehow..

@joerg
why unarc works different if also use xadmaster ? i mean it should be same, without additional code in, uts xadmaster should be updated, not unarc should have workorounds (as it now seems so?)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
why unarc works different if also use xadmaster ? i mean it should be same, without additional code in, uts xadmaster should be updated, not unarc should have workorounds (as it now seems so?)
It's very unlikely that UnArc has any workarounds, it's probably just a bug in xadUnFile.

As for fixing xadmaster.library and/or xadUnFile: XAD is GPL junk now, therefore you'd have to do it yourself if you want anything fixed in it. http://sourceforge.net/projects/libxad

Go to top

Register To Post