Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

mufa, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Finished: Prefs center
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Re: Finished: Prefs center
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

After looking those screen grabs on os4depot...
I need to try the Finnish locale one day.

+ Prefs center is the modernish way, just grown with the old one, but people tend to learn new things ... slowly.

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It is nice and I'm using it, however I would like it to be improved in the user page or by scanning automatically the prefs directory and adding the non standard pref programs/icons to the user page or activating the drag and drop to add prefs icons in the user page.

regards

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks, will try it (but the date is 3 years old), it's being updated since then?

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Congrats to making an app that looks messier than the prefs drawer. :P
It looks like a really nice effort but those icons and texts really needs to be divided equally in columns.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP

I concur, the way it is now, the word "nice" looks a bit lost in that sentence.

I asked the author two years ago IIRC and he told me it was not possible to have the icons aligned in a nice grid because of some ReAction limitation or something along that line..

the way prefscenter is now, its both nicer and more practical to use AmiDock.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

Quote:
the way prefscenter is now, its both nicer and more practical to use AmiDock.
Or even just Workbench. If you really need your prefs sorted into such more or less arbitrary groups, you could just move them into separate drawers, maybe make some links from the original Prefs drawer to please any program/system component who prefers them being there, and just user the new drawers. Perhaps it could even be made possible to optionally display a file comment under each icon's name in WB, then we'd have it all - with much neater sorting and aligning .

Not that I personally like the idea myself at all. Whenever I have to use a new Windows 7 system, one of my first actions is always to go to the Control Panel and set it to display all actions as small icons ungrouped. But taste is a matter of taste, so to speak ...

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Or this layout in Preferences... ;)

(small pic)
Resized Image

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Marko

It look likes your solution uses only single row per group and short text labels. When my solution has longer description texts displayed. It's those text labels which makes better layout impossible, it seems. Plus it's using multiple rows per group. Or I'll have to split bigger groups into two smaller ones. Maybe Orgin can add you to the PrefsCenter project and you can add your solution as the second choice.

The idea was to replace strange words like ASL and AHI with more meaningful descriptions. That's why text labels have to be bigger while keeping the layout looking nice.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
For 'strange words' you can easily use popup notifications (like MUI's help bubbles).

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I like this

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

Really like this, have it in my AmiDock for easy access to all (I think they are all there) my Prefs

Manually added Prefs that were not there by default.

Edited by sicky on 2014/4/13 19:52:14
SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top

Register To Post