Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
E-UAE (Amigfx) - do we need a bounty?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
With JIT almost finished for our E-UAE, some of E-UAE's other problems are now painfully obvious, and we really really REALLY need a developer(s) work on it. Would it be worth someone creating one or more bounties? I think the two biggest issues are:

1. E-UAE doesn't use Compositing for scaling graphics, so a 640x480 window is a little slow, and anything larger is unusably slow. Using Compositing to do the scaling shouldn't be that hard (assuming E-UAE doesn't do anything too wierd), and would make a real difference on modern large monitors (and for Sam440 users whose monitors don't support a 640x512 screenmode).

2. E-UAE-Amigfx is the fastest version of E-UAE (hence why RunInUAE uses it by default), but it's Picasso96 emulation is broken, so we can't have Workbench 3.1 running in a lovely 16-bit screenmode at native resolutions. Picassion96 emulation surely must have worked in the distant past(?), hence I guess it was just broken by a code change at some point... and so it might be relatively simple to fix (if you understand how the Picasso96 emulation works - I don't have a clue). It *does* reportedly work in the SDL build of E-UAE, so checking where it differs from E-UAE-Amigfx (for P96) might be a good start.

So, what do people think? Would a bounty be the way to go?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I think we should have several smaller bounties, rather than one big one. So one bounty for Composited scaling, another bounty for Picasso96 Emulation, etc.

Edited by ChrisH on 2014/4/3 22:23:41
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: E-UAE (Amigfx) - do we need a bounty?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH
A very cool idea!

Classic AmigaOS ROMs and the Workbench disks are no problem at all now that they are included with every copy of AmigaOS. We just need some people to help work on UAE and help improve it so that the classic experience is nicer.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
i would donate to this bounty:)

Sam460ex 2GB 120Gb SSD&1Tb HD7750 Envy24HT A-Eon Drv 2.10+Warp3D New Uboot
Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
while you are at it, toss in a bounty to migrate from the very old e-uae and migrate to the very actively maintained FS-UAE.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
£25 ready and waiting!

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP
Or even better, PUAE: https://github.com/GnoStiC/PUAE

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I would donate if there was a reliable developer working on it.

AmigaOne X5000
Radeon HD 7700
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Joeled
I think this is more about trying to attract a developer in the first place.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Add to that a long stading bug in all latest builds flying around : on exit our uae builds (that include all previous ones, and that on which Rachy works) it do memguard hit. So usually you can't notice or have crash right now, but after you do run/exit uae about 10-20-30 times, you crashes in end (and, i somehow sure that memguard crashes are symptoms because of which lately real crash come).

I report it to Rachy of course too, but i fear its out of his work to fix all kind of bugs. If anyone in interest, i can provide all the info i found (in few words , it crashes in freeding some sound resources). Maybe even easy to fix.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

P96 not working in the amigfx driver is not a bug. It has never been implemented at all. It wouldn't be particularly difficult to do, someone just has to mimic it from the sdl driver.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BSzili & SpotUp
I'm not against a bounty for that (port new UAE from scratch), but it would probably be a lot more work than the two bounties I've already suggested. Maybe better to leave that kind of bigger harder bounty until our existing port works relatively well?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Fab Quote:
P96 not working in the amigfx driver is not a bug. It has never been implemented all. It wouldn't be particularly difficult to do, someone just has to mimic it from the sdl driver.

Thanks, that's very helpful information.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
I think this is more about trying to attract a developer in the first place

Yes, thats why its important that its a reliable developer like i said and not somebody that quits after 4 weeks. You could probably attract some developers but alot of projects just dies after some time because they are not serious or dont understand how much time it takes. I would happily donate if i knew things would be done.

AmigaOne X5000
Radeon HD 7700
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
My *main* use case for UAE is emulating a full RTG/AmigaOS 3.9 backup from my Amiga 2000's - so p96 support is essential. I would donate immediately!

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Also I could donate to more up-to-date UAE etc.

(it might become very important when SMP/AMP becomes available as some SW will start to fail or otherwise load only core0 (or so). People could then for example run Lighwave on some core and screamernet on the rest of the available cores.)

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

By coincidence, I had sent you a PM on this site shortly before you made this thread. I notice you still haven't read it, so I thought I'd point you to it.

As for P96 support in amigfx, I think Thore Sittly (aka Thunder on the e-uae JIT blog) was planning on writing something for this.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

I'd donate for sure though I must admit I don't use e-uae that much anymore on my X1000 since I got my Amiga 1000 and Amiga 1200 back up and running sweetly in my mancave

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Joeled Quote:
Yes, thats why its important that its a reliable developer like i said and not somebody that quits after 4 weeks. You could probably attract some developers but alot of projects just dies after some time because they are not serious or dont understand how much time it takes. I would happily donate if i knew things would be done.

IMHO you have it backwards (kind of). You get a large bounty to ATTRACT someone good/capable (hopefully). If they fail to achieve the bounty requirements, then someone else can have a go. i.e. If we get someone "unreliable" then we loose nothing but some time.

We'd just need to make sure the bounty requirements are clearly defined, and don't allow someone to continue working on it forever without making any progress. (I'm not a fan of 100% hard deadlines, but you do need some flexibility.)

IMHO (Amiga) bounty terms are sometimes not well thought-out. I'd prefer to see open public discussion of proposed bounty terms, rather than closed private discussions between a small number of people (as that often seems to lead to obvious problems being overlooked or downplayed).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Compositing for scaling graphics would be very usefull(and other improvements), if a bounty is needed to make it happen then so be it. But i would prefer to donate to the developer directly when i see that someone is doing some good work. And that reminds me that i should hand out some money tonight because it's been a while since last time :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@smf

users never donate after its done, that's my experience, (well it has happened twice.)

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »