Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 91

Skateman, mufa, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AISS install script somehow trashed my SYS:System directory :-(
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I tried to use DiskImageGUI in sys:Utilities but AISS was not preinstalled on X1000, I wonder way they, included it whit out installing AISS.

Anyway So I downloaded AISS from Masonicons.de, I guess what AISS install script somehow trashed my SYS:System directory, FIND and Format was overwritten.

How about writing install scripts that work…

And as search path also include sys:system, and there a image called make, make stopped working…

Where is AISS supposed to be installed, and how to I revert back correct versions of Format and Find?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Re: AISS install script somehow trashed my SYS:System directory :-(
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

It is not just AISS fault, I might have assigned AISS to wrong directory when trying, DiksImageGUI the first time.

But what I do not get, is way AISS does not install itself to SYS:Prefs/Presets that’s where backdrops and other graphics stuff is that AmigaOS needs.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
On my Sam440 it is installed in "Workbench:Prefs/Presets/tbimages" and also given an assign as "tbimages:"

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mcleppa

That’s only because you have a assign from before.

I did not have a tbimages: assign, so when I clicked on the program I was asked to assign it, this how I f**ked up my system (I guess I just pressed OK).

What is bad about install script is, that it does not check add the assign to s:user-startup if its missing.

It assumes tbimages: is correctly assigned and just copy stuff there.

If this where done in way that is standard, it should have asked me where I wanted to install AISS, this is what is missing.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/3/21 18:05:57
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

TBImages: was originally assigned to sys:classes, then a minimal installation was included with OS4 and it was moved to sys:prefs/presets.

I did quite a bi of work on the install script but that was a couple of versions ago and I don't know whats changed since then as I have a totally different set up.

What I do is create an uncompressed lha file with all the images in it and create a DosDriver using the XADFilesystem.

The DosDriver is:

Handler = L:XADFileSystem
Activate = 1
Startup = sys:prefs/presets/tbimages

Doing it this way there is no assign, tbimages: is a volume instead. When an image is needed it's extracted to t:tbimages/ and used from there.

I mainly did it because I wanted to try XadFileSystem and it took ages to backup the thousands of small image files whereas now it just has to backup 1 6mb file which takes a couple of seconds.

If AISS was distributed like this it would be far simpler and quicker to install. Only 3 files to copy, the TBImages dosdriver, it's icon and the lha file, no complicated scripts required at all, just a simple dos script:

copy TBImages Devs:DosDrivers/ force
copy TBImages.info Devs:DosDrivers/ force
copy TBImages.lha SYS:Prefs/Presets/TBImages force

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin

XADFileSystem thats interesting.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Liveforit, I've read your posts the last few weeks and they are a bit hard to read as you constantly misspell why and with. Way=Why. Whit=With. Fix yourself! ;)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@spotUP

Quote:
Way=Why. Whit=With

I don't see the difference between the whit and with, its the same word for me.

Quote:
Fix yourself! ;)

Its like asking a blindman to see. If you have magic cure I take it belive me. Do you realize how many time I have to explain my self?

I'm dyslectic, its genetic inheritance it from my fader, and he inherited it from his fader, I can understand that people have problem understanding, you can't see it, there is nothing in my behavior that reviles it, and it does not effect my intelligence.

It is off topic, and if your interested there is a lot information about on look it up in Wikipedia.

http://www.dyslexic.org.uk/aboutdyslexia5.htm

I don't know if people are Ignorant or if its OCD.

I know there people who has OCD has problems whit things that are no prefect, you should be worried if you feal like you need to correct everyone and everything.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/3/22 7:05:41
Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/3/22 7:27:39
Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/3/22 7:30:05
Edited by LiveForIt on 2014/3/22 7:46:15
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@LiveForIt
Looks like there is something wrong in your startup environment and the assign for TBImages: is missing.

The latest version of AISS should also be available as a contribution on the install CD.

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@Severin

This is indeed very interesting!
How fast is it?

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mason Quote:
Looks like there is something wrong in your startup environment and the assign for TBImages: is missing.

There is nothing really wrong with his startup environment... he just didn't have AISS installed:

He installed & tried running DiskImage, which asked for "tbimages:" via system requester, so he just clicked OK to try assigning it to DiskImage's folder (SYS:System) which often works for other kinds of program assignments...

But DiskImage still not working well, so he researched & found that he needed AISS installed. So he downloaded & installed AISS (without rebooting first)...

... unfortunately AISS found that tbimages: was assigned to Sys:System, so it faithfully wrote all icon files there. In the process this trashed SYS:System/Find, SYS:System/Format, etc because it wrote image files over the executables.

So the problem is AISS installer assuming that tbimages: assignment indicates an existing AISS installation. Instead it needs to check for something a bit more unique.... not sure what. Probably next AISS installer should write a special file like "this is real AISS folder", and then in the future it can check for it. Until then it could maybe check that a common file like maybe "connect_g" exists, and than "connect_g.info" does NOT exist.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

Quote:

There is nothing really wrong with his startup environment... he just didn't have AISS installed:

TBImages: has been a standard assign for some time now. It's part of user-statup admittedly but is there by default in the same way as MUI: is . (Since 4.1 update1?)

Quote:

So the problem is AISS installer assuming that tbimages: assignment indicates an existing AISS installation. I

No Chris, the problem is he stupidly assigned tbimages: to sys:system. *NEVER* assign an assign via the requester to anywwhere but Ram: unless you know the correct destination.

If in doubt of the correct destination RTFM, then RTFM again!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

He installed & tried running DiskImage, which asked for "tbimages:" via system requester,

DiskImage should have disabled the requester before checking for the assign.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mason

Quote:
This is indeed very interesting!
How fast is it?

Unless you're running something that want's access to all the images it probably won't make a noticable difference unless you're running it from a slow drive.

My archive has around 5,830 files in it, it takes about 6.5 seconds to extract them all so around 900 images a second. add file seek when looking for individual files and at a guess you're still looking at about 600 a second. and of course this is only needed the first time that image is called, after that it's loaded directly from T:

Use:

lha -r -X -z -I -F a sys:prefs/presets/tbimages tbimages:

to create the archive, details for the dos driver are above. Just put the dosdriver in devs:dosrivers/ and comment out the tbimages: assign in your user-startup, reboot and it should work.

Edited by Severin on 2014/3/24 0:51:19
Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top

Register To Post