Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Mixer V1.36 (upcoming update)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Where should Mixer drawer install/copy on next update?
(via AmiUpdate Autoinstall)

TIA

Go to top
Re: Mixer V1.36 (upcoming update)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Mmm i vote for: "SYS:Utilities/Commodities/Mixer" because it seems its standard default path, but maybe the right place should be under "SYS:Utilities/"

A question for the OS4 devs i think

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
You shouldn't care about where to install Mixer by default.

Let the user decide where to put it.

1) WBStartup will pick it up, if correctly set up
2) AmiDock will pick it up, if correctly installed

What if you let AmiUpdate install Mixer to let's say Sys:Utilities/Commodities, but there are users that don't want it to be there and have it installed in i.e. Tools:Audio/Utilities/?
How will AmiUpdate cope with that, will it simply move the files to Sys:Utilities? (Believe me i wouldn't want that to happen)

Are you willing to change the default path with every new release or every new user who starts pointing out a new "I like this better, change it" path?

Please don't put it somewhere default it will only produce problems, plus it will make maintenace for you more difficult.

Mixer is a third party product and should live in it's own directoy whereever the user wants it to live...it will make life a lot easier for you too

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
+1

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Of course, but:

1. The installer should still provide a default path. Specifically, the Novice mode is meant to perform all installation operations without user intervention - so a meaningful default is rather important here.
2. If Mixer has been installed before, there will be a Mixer env-variable in AppDir, which (if found) should be selected as the default path.

So all in all, an opinion that "You shouldn't care about where to install Mixer by default" doesn't really hold good.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Ok, now what Autoninstaller does is:

1)Via APPDIR:Mixer finds its destination/path.
2)If NO mixer drawer, create it in destination and copy OLD mixer data in new drawer.
3)Update Mixer.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

trixie wrote:
@Raziel

Quote:

Of course, but:

1. The installer should still provide a default path. Specifically, the Novice mode is meant to perform all installation operations without user intervention - so a meaningful default is rather important here.
2. If Mixer has been installed before, there will be a Mixer env-variable in AppDir, which (if found) should be selected as the default path.

So all in all, an opinion that "You shouldn't care about where to install Mixer by default" doesn't really hold good.

True, but Mixer doesn't have an installer (yet)

Talk is about the autoinstall script from the amiupdate part of Mixer...
If that is changed to install a formerly perfect installation to a "default" path it will mess up the installation for a lot of users

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

jabirulo wrote:
Ok, now what Autoninstaller does is:

1)Via APPDIR:Mixer finds its destination/path.
2)If NO mixer drawer, create it in destination and copy OLD mixer data in new drawer.
3)Update Mixer.

That is exactly what i meant.

I had Mixer solely copied to Sys:Utilities and forgot it there (because i can't use it)...AmiUpdated created a drawer there, moved Mixer in it, copied all the missing files, like AREXX drawer and readmes...

After that AmiDock and WBStartup complained about a file not found.
...and i had a second installment of Mixer in Sys:Utilities, while my original installment was still in Tools:Audio/Mixer

That shouldn't happen

...see?
You can't cover all the different user installations, so i'll propose you tell everyone to keep the Mixer dir intact, this way it is pretty easy for you to update through amiupdate.

There is no need to move Mixer out of it's drawer anyway...every other program will find it if set up correctly

But maybe i'm missing the point here and Amiupdate CAN cover all those possibilities

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel
AmiUpdate searchs for 'APPDIR:Mixer' and then updates that path, if you have other (more than one) installations it depends where APPDIR:Mixer points.
APPDIR:Mixer points to the last path you run Mixer exec.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
SYS:System

Note 1: I don't care personally, as I install everything manually. Mine is just a suggestion in the context of the next note.

Note 2: I'd merge System, Tools and Utilities into Tools, but the Workbench (and maybe other parts of the OS?) has SYS:System hardcoded in a few places, so I keep everything in SYS:System. SYS:System is quite weird, as it basically means "system system".
I've already proposed a cleanup of the OS tree years ago, but it went unheard.

Note 3: I already know this will go unheard as well

RETREAM - retro dreams for Amiga, Commodore 64 and PC
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
saimo wrote:

Note 2: I'd merge System, Tools and Utilities into Tools, but the Workbench (and maybe other parts of the OS?) has SYS:System hardcoded in a few places, so I keep everything in SYS:System. SYS:System is quite weird, as it basically means "system system".
Well, I don't know about that ... the Tools drawer has already been nuked several years ago, so at least something was done.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

nbache wrote:
Quote:
saimo wrote:

Well, I don't know about that ... the Tools drawer has already been nuked several years ago, so at least something was done.

Ah, yes, you're perfectly right! The change was included in one of the updates following my suggestion (but I don't know if it was actually thanks to my suggestion) and I appreciated it, although the drawer that got killed was precisely the one that should have been kept.
I had forgotten about this because, as said, I use just System anyway.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Please can you stop the updater overwriting the Mixer.info file, I have to keep resetting my tooltypes and there should be no need for this.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
OK, noted for next versions.

BTW noticed I'm using COPY instead of COPYSTORE so (forget to [un]comment such lines), Amiupdate Rollback feature isn't available

Go to top

Register To Post