Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

MUIOWB : AmigaBounty still alive ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hello all,
Just want to know if the concept of AmigaBounty is still alive ?

It seems that Kas1e (and certainly others) is ready to work on an update of MUIOWB but no bounty is open.

As many peoples complains about the lack of MUIOWB update, I think that many peoples are waiting for this update and will be happy to financially contribute to an eventual bounty.

Therefore, is there a reason why it's not possible to ask for a bounty ?

Hoping that Troels could open a Bounty for MUIOWB...

Thank for your reply
Guillaume

Go to top
Re: MUIOWB : AmigaBounty still alive ?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Moved to he correct forum

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I tried to contact with Troels about few times in last 3 months i think, but there was some problems like "we have problems with who and what will do and when" and "we want to restructure rulz and co" or so.

Then i tried to contact with power2people.org, but they hold only opensource projects.

Seems that amigabounty.net admins just loose all motivation lately and have no interest, and no time to hold all of this anymore. Pity, site are pretty helpful. At least by those bounties you can see that users want something for real, and not only talks on forums about almighty amiga :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Isn't there any other ways to start a bounty than p2p or amigabounty?.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

Isn't muiowb open source?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@smf
Yeah, in end it seems just some popular and non related to amiga bounty site will be used. Just not kickstarter, as it have some limitations in terms of what county accepted, but there for sure some other ones which can be used. If anyone know some trustworty and popular one, which accept paypal and send it over paypal back without probs, then that can be helpfull

@Vulture
Its not on svn, and only some old sources (1.9) publicaly avail on fab's page. Newer ones he just send privately, so its not opensource in usual mean.

Besides, bounty its not just "port of new version of odyssey for os4", but its collection of small chunks, like some bit for Thore for his work on os4 mui (because when we start to port that muiowb, on mui itself was done a looot of everything which in end happen to be new mui), some bit for Deniil, main summ to Fab for initial work on browser and because its him who author, some for me for all the stuff, etc. I.e. all logical, and without "taking money from work done by another person" like someone can think.

I just assume that power2people just do not like that kind of bounty, as it somehow promote os4 only (and what mean no opensource). I send them text after "send it, we will have a look", and after have no answers => they do not want that.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Well, we can't wait forever imho ..

You have a personal paypal account right ?
If so people can donate there, then once you have received the needed sum you can split the sum with others, that's it

Meanwhile would be cool if you can ask Fab for the latest 1.20 source and start the port, you know a lot of time passed ...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

Some ppls already says on some forums that they even dislike that i even worry about bounties (and they even don't think about reasons). And if (my god) i will even go the way "send on my paypal, i will send them to others", i just imagine the #OOPS# which will be thrown like "yes ! now he get money for work done by others !".

I can go that way, just i fear its all will stinks after all, and better to use some bounty system where everyone will see goals, who and what will get and so on.

@all

Just to make you all understand reasons for bounties: its not for money. That "amiga-bounty" sums its piece of nothing. Reasons is:

1. I worry about another developers, to motive them to works on os4 more, to give us sources, to just be "friendly" between our camps (because only hardcore lunatics can't get now that we can't now live without each others, as all of camps have good coders).

2. I want to see the "real" os4 users. Who indeed adequate and who want to see progress of our old os. Who indeed use it, and who indeed have HW. Bounties and those buks show it better than any words.

3. If you think that i need any of those "buks" like they make any deal for me, you very, very, very very wrong. The time which everyone spend there can't be covered by any sum. And the amount of sums there its just pure nothing. Take a look on real word, you will get what kind of sums flies around for this kind of work.

Even with bounties its pure labor of passion (or passion of labor :) ).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

So, couldn't the sources be put on svn if Fab agrees on that and get power2thepeople do the bounty? I don't know if Fab wants that, just an idea. Otherwise....what can I say? There must be some way to get it done somehow.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
If the sources are partly "closed" than fab or some other dev can have them on a publically not (and only to invited co-devs) available source tree.

This way the maintainer of that tree has the full control of who did what and when to the source...

Add ONE bounty to whatever system and the tree maintainer could easily (if he would) share the bounty bound to the work done by him and the co-devs.

I'm thinking github and sourceforge here...

Talking of which, is a new MUIOWB due soon?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Vulture
Quote:

So, couldn't the sources be put on svn if Fab agrees on that and get power2thepeople do the bounty? I don't know if Fab wants that, just an idea.

I am not Fab, but as i understand he do not want to put sources on svn, because:
1. it will bring for him additional work with all those commits and all the stuff.
2. he works on it alone, and do not want anyone else to deral his code with all kind of stuff which he do not want to have there (like bad code, slow code or anything what anyone will think is good). I.e. its his own project, and he do not want to involve anyone. He himself do everything pretty well already, so he no need any "help".
3. he is morphos developer, so he in interest to promote morphos, and have better sw on morphos. Why he should bring the same 1:1 browser on os4, where fanboys will cry after how good os4 are, and how bad morphos are ? Till there is such brain-less lunatics show ups from time to time, that for sure will be like this.

Quote:

There must be some way to get it done somehow.

Sure, just some popular and non-related to amiga bounty-system (but not kickstrter). I am sure there is plenty of them, its just i can't now scan google/forums to find out them. If any of you have time for: bring a links there.

@Raziel

Quote:

If the sources are partly "closed" than fab or some other dev can have them on a publically not (and only to invited co-devs) available source tree.

I am not fab , but i am somehow think that he no need any "invited co-devs". Its his own project, and he no need any help. Its we , who need him and his code :)

Quote:

I'm thinking github and sourceforge here...

That even not problem to choice where to host code. Deal of few minutes.

Quote:

Talking of which, is a new MUIOWB due soon?

Once there will be first stable dopus5 release, i will then finish port of vpdf, and then will port what i have (1.19 or something), if, of course, fab will not give latest ones at that time. I will find out the way how to setup bounty and so on. Just with amigabounty it can be easy, but from another side is better to find some other bounty system which will not die until one loose interest and motivation :)

Just in case of interest, there is text of that bounty.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
What about this bounty site ?

https://www.bountysource.com/

Sinan - AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
- AmigaOne X5000
- AmigaOne A1222
- Sam460ex
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@SinanSam460

I think this only accepts open-source projects and thus it's a no-no right now. I'm looking for one, but I've been unsuccessful so far. I'm sure I'll find something though.

Edit:

How about these:
http://www.indiegogo.com/
http://rockethub.com/

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Mmm bounty text should atleast include the latest version not an old and no more supported 1.16/1.17 release, also it's not so 100% clear what would be included into the port and what's not !

For example latest release of Odyssey are now using some MorphOS specific like the spellchecker.library for spelling corrections, the new calltips.mcc MUI class for form filling and so on ..

That one would be ported aswell ?

And also what about HTML5 video support ?

1000 Euros for Fab is ok, he deserve for sure but without any video support the port will still incomplete and not fun at all ...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Why are people suggesting using something else other than Amiga Bounty. If Troels hasn't the time or enthusiasm to run it any longer then wouldn't be better in trying to get him to transfer ownership of the site, donations and other assets.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
amigabounty.net is not dead. It may feel somewhat frozen at the moment. Troels is swamped and has a hard time keeping up. I've offered to help with the administration and convert to a USA Ebay account to help with some of the problems from that end, but have not had time either. :/

I'm trying to get my house ready to sell, then shop and buy and move a couple times. Not able to keep up with much of anything, and the wife is not happy that we won't be ready for a For Sale sign out front tomorrow as she had wanted. :( Going to be an insane month or few...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
Quote:

Mmm bounty text should atleast include the latest version not an old and no more supported 1.16/1.17 release

I have in hands only 1.17, will i have or not latest one no one know. I hope that yes, but right now i have 1.17. Dunno through what you mean about unsupported, because any version is unsupported when there is new one released. At least, most of us ask about updated webkit : there it will be.

Quote:

also it's not so 100% clear what would be included into the port and what's not !

There is part from bounty text:

Quote:

What should be in the release:

- version 1.16 of Odyssey Web Browser
- all the stuff as in muiowb1.9: i.e. native mouse pointers, custom tabs replacement and co
- 2 binaries: svg and no svg ones (to reduce binary size, to have faster loading on start and less
memory consumption).

What will be not neccessary, but optionally (or what will or will not be added later at some point):

- threaded curl (bug in os4 tcp/ip stack, already reported, bz #8340).
- anything else.
- bugfixes.

Quote:

For example latest release of Odyssey are now using some MorphOS specific like the spellchecker.library for spelling corrections, the new calltips.mcc MUI class for form filling and so on ..

That one would be ported aswell ?

I think mostly no than yes. If i will have no spellchecker.library source code and calltips.mcc, its again will be pain in the ass to make all of this from scratch. And i am no sure if morphos devs will give them to me.

Quote:

And also what about HTML5 video support ?

The same as before: nothing. Nothing because fab do not give sources of it and nothing because no one from os4 devs write it or even worry about it.

Quote:

but without any video support the port will still incomplete and not fun at all

Odyssey on os4 always will be worse in compare with his original. Just because fab in interest to promote another os (just my imho).

@Blit
That exactly what mean "dead". I.e. "busy, no time, family, house, i want but can't". We of course all have our problems, families, houses, money-related-crap and so on, bit still, if there is no even minor priority at all, then ppls will be forced to wait years, which is unacceptable.

Because of exactly that, we need just another bounty system which not connected to amiga where everything low priority, slow and so on.

It just suck hard to ask for making bounty text for months. I understand the reasons and low motivation of course, but then we all should understand why not amigabounty. At least now. If it will be ruled again someday - good. Nope - we should have another system in backup.

Edited by kas1e on 2013/5/15 9:18:32
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Dunno through what you mean about unsupported, because any version is unsupported when there is new one released.

As "unsupported" i meant just unsupported .. me explain; since the first 1.9 release we have reported many many bugs and features request, but nothing was done in any term in latest 2 years .. i don't ask for core update of course but atleast some bugs could be fixed in all that time

So what i meant was: After say we will have that first Odyssey 1.16/1,17 port we will have also a proper support, aka new updated versions, further bugfixes etc or that bounty means just a quick port of that version and nothing else ?

I think you should specify that

Quote:
I think mostly no than yes. If i will have no spellchecker.library source code and calltips.mcc, its again will be pain in the ass to make all of this from scratch. And i am no sure if morphos devs will give them to me.

That's fine, but imho you should report all details before submit the final text, ask Fab and then write exactly what you can port and what's not, so all will be 100% clear and no bad surprise for users

Quote:
And i understand his reasons. Os4 users so cry about timberwolf and how good it will be and that we no need any other browser.. And now what ? After few years i can't even run TW normally, not saying that its uber slow on my peg2 and unusable (now, there will be someone who will write such comment: it works fine for me on x1000!)

Bah all that story about how OS4 users can be so crap start to be annoying, who cry ? tell the name of such ppls .. their are single person not the entire community, atleast me not for sure .. i know exactly the current issue, current limitations of the OS, limitation on the software and so on .. strange people like that are equally distributed on both parts of the community so pls stop complain about ...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

Quote:

As "unsupported" i meant just unsupported .. me explain; since the first 1.9 release we have reported many many bugs and features request, but nothing was done in any term in latest 2 years .. i don't ask for core update of course but atleast some bugs could be fixed in all that time

Then think about as "unsupported 1.16". Just a port which will be on level as 1.9, just with some minor fixes.

Quote:

So what i meant was: After say we will have that first Odyssey 1.16/1,17 port we will have also a proper support, aka new updated versions, further bugfixes etc or that bounty means just a quick port of that version and nothing else ?

No proper support then. I.e. port, and nothing, but just some bug fixes related to port only, but to not whole code which done by fab.

Quote:

That's fine, but imho you should report all details before submit the final text, ask Fab and then write exactly what you can port and what's not, so all will be 100% clear and no bad surprise for users

You free to ask him yourself :) I will be even happy if he will just put odyssey on SVN, with sources of html5 player, with all sources of all shared libraries which he use with odyssey now (if i remember well, there is not only spellchecker one now, but also cairo.library) and with all new mui classes if they have place now. So we all can just port it normally.

Ask him, maybe you will be lucky enough. Once it will be in SVN with all that stuff, i can port it for free.

We already can have just proper ifdefs in odyssey code, and which will be just pure recompile with all new versions, just fab do not want it and i can't do about it anything. If you want, try to ask him about SVN again.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post