Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 17 »
Re: Opus Magellan source is free now!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

Native library with all the fixes now done.

Cool!
Quote:

Only one small bit left: need add 68k traps to the workbench patches , so they will works just like they works in os3/68k version of library. As Itix says, for OS4 this 68k approach is not 100% correct and we should use SetMethod() instead to patch interface directly and not library vectors in front of it. However if we "just" will add 68k traps, all will works the same as from 68k library.

Itix is right it wont work like that. PPC code will never see those traps. So your patched library vectors will only be seen by 68k code. You will see a lot of spurious bugs if you don't take that bit of time to do it properly.

Patching workbench was always where DOpus fell down for me, it regularly broke new functionality in the old days, eg animateable icons introduced (but rarely used) in 3.5 broke until DOpus was fixed. Workbench has had alot more changes since then, even if not the rewrite that many would like, so getting the patching bit right is important for your project.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Andy
Quote:

You will see a lot of spurious bugs if you don't take that bit of time to do it properly.

Sure we need to do that. Its just only for now to betatest if library itself the same as original now, and when we will sure that is it: we can then start migration of main program + rewrite patching to make them works from native main binary as well.

Quote:

Patching workbench was always where DOpus fell down for me, it regularly broke new functionality in the old days, eg animateable icons introduced (but rarely used) in 3.5 broke until DOpus was fixed. Workbench has had alot more changes since then, even if not the rewrite that many would like, so getting the patching bit right is important for your project.

I personally also do not like that "patching", because once something new will be added to WB, they can stop works. Pure hacking and co only for current versions of workbench libs (which also can be in end different after years between all our oses).

Itix says that only one way to get rid of those workbench.library patches is providing our own workbench.library but this will be tricky in OS3 because it can be in Kickstart ROM , as well as will makes testing more difficult because on mos we can run Workbench/Ambient simultaneously with DOpus Magellan.

I through do not know how it will works if we already have real workbench.libraryes for all oses which always in develop and different. Maybe he mean just our own wb.library which will just contain patches, but we still will the same way "catch" everything from real workbench ..

Imho (but i not expert in patches), will be not bad just to make them in right way, and then, those ones which better to have in "native" form from real wb via ifdefs forward to the real ones. But so far i can tell, that copy, move, d&d in dopus works far better and faster in compare with os4 version of wb.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Do you have a newer version available that can display more than 31 character file names, and that shows a requester when deleting things, especially directories!

And a generic question: Is it possible to configure a single-letter hotkey in listers that doesn't trigger that annoying quick-search field? Also the quick-search field must be quittable with Esc.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Deniil wrote:
Do you have a newer version available that can display more than 31 character file names, and that shows a requester when deleting things, especially directories!

Erm, 5.5+ always has had this.

Quote:
And a generic question: Is it possible to configure a single-letter hotkey in listers that doesn't trigger that annoying quick-search field? Also the quick-search field must be quittable with Esc.

Always had this too...

here's the settings:

Open Environment Settings (r amiga 4).
Directories, set maximum filename length to 107.
Miscellaneous, turn off Extended list key selection and you can set any hotkeys you want so I suppose it should be simple enough to assign a null function to the a-z keys if you really can't resist pressing them while using listers

quit search with esc never has worked, exit it by either hitting return or clicking anywhere outside the gadget.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
Itix done with 68k stubs for patching (which need to be a bit rewriten for os4 when main binary will be native as well), and i hope today upload some test archive with new libs.

@Deniil
You are developer, feel free to join and add any kind of features you miss :)

@severin
Quote:

quit search with esc never has worked, exit it by either hitting return or clicking anywhere outside the gadget.

As you seems only one who know dopus5 a lot, then maybe you can collect in some text file all the requesters, so when we will have native versions, that all can be go for todo.

Edited by kas1e on 2013/4/9 15:45:12
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

I know, but it doesn't work. I have set it to 107 characters, and I have set it to ask about every kind of deletion but it ignores the settings. Just wondering if this is a OS4 port issue or something.

Maybe the settings shows one set of settings but DOpus actually uses a different set from some other location. Seems strange though since many other settings seem to work like screen mode, lister placement, fonts etc.

@kas1e

Do you have a simple/complete setup that works on OS4 or do I need cross-compiler? I just cannot be bothered sitting on that PC and code. That's just not happening.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@deniil
cant be os4 port issue, as there no os4 port currently. only library done, and only for betatest.

as for env to compile : plain sdk on os4 native is enough, but now there is library only done. if you want to help for real, you still need to understand core and how all works. motivation and time must as well. there already was few ppls who say they want to help and then disapear. only xenic, itix and me on it currently. if you in interest, welcome on SF

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Deniil wrote:
@Severin

I know, but it doesn't work. I have set it to 107 characters, and I have set it to ask about every kind of deletion but it ignores the settings. Just wondering if this is a OS4 port issue or something.

For deletion I have commencing delete and nothing else set. when I click on delete and confirm it a window similar to copy/move pops up and the bar trundles across as the files are deleted. although most of the time it's too fast to see more than a flash of the window.

As for the 107 character thing. is it a problem with
(a) not working at all with filenames over 31 chars
(b) not displaying the full filename in the lister
(c) popping up errors saying file not found when you try one over 31 chars
(d) Something else
(e) pancakes (oops, wrong forum)

Quote:
Maybe the settings shows one set of settings but DOpus actually uses a different set from some other location. Seems strange though since many other settings seem to work like screen mode, lister placement, fonts etc.

If you assigned Dopus5: it will use it so check it's pointing to the right place, I had it on work: when I first started using it but moved it to sys: when I decided it was stable enough for everyday use but forgot the assign so it was still loading/saveing some things in the wrong place, maybe it's using a mix of the assign and progdir: which would cause problems.

Another thing to be careful with is digging up an old installtion of dopus and using on a different machine, as most of the commands can be replaced with arexx scripts, custom modules etc. which could be pointing to obsolete paths or files that were set when you installed them years ago.

@all
My advice to everyone is to do a complete clean install from the original cds or adfs and start again. it's far easier than having to redo everything that doesn't work properly.

@kas1e

I just RTFM and remember a tiny bit from 8 or 9 years ago. I've been slowly converting the manuals from pdf to amigaguide for my own use which has helped me remember lots of little things. I might switch to powerguide though as that will let me put the images in the docs as well. I just wish there were docs for powerguide.

I also have ADF images of the english Opus55_Install, Opus55_Extras & Opus_MagellanII_install disks if you want them to add to the SF files.

Edited by Severin on 2013/4/10 22:59:35
Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin
Quote:

I've been slowly converting the manuals from pdf to amigaguide for my own use which has helped me remember lots of little things. I might switch to powerguide though as that will let me put the images in the docs as well. I just wish there were docs for powerguide.

Once you will have ready to use dopus5.guide (and/or powerguide), then plz share them and we can include them to dopus5 distrib together with pdfs.

Quote:

I also have ADF images of the english Opus55_Install, Opus55_Extras & Opus_MagellanII_install disks if you want them to add to the SF files.

Yep i have them too, just they too old for uploading, 5.8 are last ones. All what we miss currently its 5.8-english-iso. Thats will be good to have.

@all
We made bunch of updates in terms of library, and while fixing/update library, step by step start to rewrite another parts. Xenic rewrite "viewfont" app from dopus5/misc/: screen

As well that now you can start to make dopus5 based apps as for os3, and the same for os4 (i.e. dopus5 SDKs more or less ready).

Edited by kas1e on 2013/4/12 12:58:42
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
After we deal with Library it was just a few hours work to adapt main program binary. At first look it was scare (~200 c files, ~200 .h files), but in end it turns that i adapt it all for few hours, and now deal with last linking errors after which we will have first os3-gcc build of main dopus binary.

As a side note, have a look at this screen:

Resized Image

Even with ugly icons its far more usable than workbench. I already use it all the time, and should to say that its just unreal how one person with just few helpers write all of this. No one ever will write anything like this from scratch for any amiga like os today, even for money, even full time workers. It has tons of features, tons of arexx scripts and modules, tons of tricks (not surprised that there is big books about dopus5). Now i understand how cool it was on old 3.x oses in 90th years. Even today its kick-ass stuff, and even some mos/ambient users still use it, just because its better in some areas.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yeah looks nice enough apart the icons and the general scrollbars (the one on the "Environment" window for example)

Is it possible to remove that ugly extra border with text (on the bar on top) changing it with a "standard text" ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Yeah looks nice enough apart the icons and the general scrollbars (the one on the "Environment" window for example)

You just can't know how heavy dopus5 are by settings and all kind of features. Even with that ugly icons and scrollbars, once you will get what is that, you will never back to anything else (even with ugly icons, which in general #1 priority to fix when all will be in native).

Quote:

Is it possible to remove that ugly extra border with text (on the bar on top) changing it with a "standard text" ?

You mean workbench title bar ? Yep, we already discuss it in that on another topic: there is ENV which carry about it. But anyway, that to be fixed as well, so no needs.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
You just can't know how heavy dopus5 are by settings and all kind of features. Even with that ugly icons and scrollbars, once you will get what is that, you will never back to anything else (even with ugly icons, which in general #1 priority to fix when all will be in native).

Now i understand a bit more why all that efforts about the bounty at the time, even if (imho) it was a bit too expensive compared to the community size and so .. aniway

Quote:
You mean workbench title bar ? Yep, we already discuss it in that on another topic: there is ENV which carry about it. But anyway, that to be fixed as well, so no needs.

Yes i mean that one, i don't understand why they add such a crap since if you look "below" the stripes you can read exactly the same text on the normal titlebar (except the clock/calendar)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo
Quote:

Yes i mean that one, i don't understand why they add such a crap since if you look "below" the stripes you can read exactly the same text on the normal titlebar (except the clock/calendar)

Because it was enough for os3, same as low-color icons. Should be easy to fix anyway. The real hardcore its icons : there will need to do everything right (i personally hope that Itix will not loose motivation till that moment, and will be able to deal with).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Ok then, just to add i also noted that the internal image viewer seems not able to read (nor scaled) the images correctly.

If i open a normal photo/image with DOpus5 all seems limited to 256 colors and so, and the image will not be scaled aswell .. of course not an high priority for now, but it can be added into the list

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo
Common :) Its is dopus, you can setup all what you want on all what you wish. Its just inbuild viewer , you can change it to whatever you need (of course, you need to dig in into settings, filetypes, and co). The same as with dopus4.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

For a simple fix for the internal image viewer use the script function to override the default module.

Call up the script settings (ramiga-8) and double click on show. add an amigados command of:

appdir:PicShow {f} pubscreen {Qs} pattern ~(#?.info) IF OFF

and select run asynchronously.

Click use and save and now every time show is called picshow will be used instead...

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
i will do more with Magellan this weekend (68k version on AROS 68k). So far it works great (except icons). The functions are really astonishing and the speed. Let alone the "file format sniffer" . I am total excited and the native versions will become a new standard for Desktop on amiga-platforms, in any case certainly on all AROS distributions. My next version of AROS Vision will already be based on Magellan. Thanx to everyone and expecially to itix and kas1e.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@olaf
Just in case: most of hard and annoying work done by Xenic - its him who start rewriting library, and do big part of it. Without him dunno if anything will going that fast at all.

Quote:

"file format sniffer"

Yep, that cool feature. Yesterday i talk with jPV , hi put me on many cool features, for example:

inline editing
it's the best feature ever. you can go up and down when editing filenames: You have defined some mouse action for that in prefs.. lets say middle mouse button. then click mmb over some file in name mode lister and start editing names.. just like in text editor, you can move to all directions with arrow keys. that's been very useful feature when i was handling lots of files with trading.

and btw. that inline editing works for all fields, you can edit dates, times, protection bits and file comments with it too. and with protection bits you don't need to be on correct position, just press rewd etc and it toggles them :)

you can use wildcards with rename function
for example rename all *.jpeg to *.jpg in a dir

you can also do system global hotkeys and they work when dopus isn't active
use them to open shell and ssh etc

quick-trick
press shift key while clicking sub dir and it'll open into new window... or drag subdir with shift key to already open window and it shows it.. or press shift key and click on left border of the window and it opens parent as new window

copy filenames to clipboard
and one really useful option is to copy filenames to clipboard. amiga-c to copy with path and shift-amiga-c to copy only names.. you can copy many selected files too.
sometimes you need to paste file lists, so it's really handy

icon positioning
you can draw many areas on screen where new icons will appear and with right mouse button you can select which type icons goes to which area drive icons on certain place, appicons on other etc.

copy to many listers by one copy
one cool think with multiple listers is, that you can lock several as destination and then copy to them all with one copy

dopus arexx is great
you can make your own progressbars and requesters etc for your scripts. i update my www pages with dopus script too. just select new files and it digs file_id.diz, creates html page, uploads everything etc... and showing progress bar for it :)

TONS of 3dparty arexx scripts, modules and themes
There nothing to say, there is just a lot. Only dopus+ CD come with 400mb of all kind of stuff. Everything which i want to do on desktop you can do with dopus5. And if anything you can, you write a plugin/script/module/theme/whatver.

And that not all of course. You can imagine how much it can do, if there is real big books for.

@samo
Quote:

Now i understand a bit more why all that efforts about the bounty at the time, even if (imho) it was a bit too expensive compared to the community size and so .. aniway

Forgot to answer on that, but there is reality check:

We wait for workbench improvements for latest 3-4 years (at least me, as i start to use os4 in 2009). Nothing radical or even half-radical was done on. 4 years its 48 months. Full time programmer monthly pay 1500-4000E. Depends of course, can be less, can be 100.000 i assume, but let's say 2500. 48*2500 = 120.000E. And, even for 4 years, one person NEVER WILL DO ANYTHING LIKE DOPUS 5 NOW. Its just impossible. No one will have motivation to do so even for money. Even for 120.000. Those one who want, will know nothing about amigaos, those who know amigaos coding, will do nothing in that terms. Taking aside that no one will pay anyone 120.000 for making workbench replacement. Even Trevor :)

Now, we all know that all of this is mostly free time work, fun, and so. So, workbench will never be mature enough in our lives. Just reality. Even if anyone will pay 120.000$ it will have bugs, problems, nothing 3d party, everything from scratch, new problems and so on and so on.

So. 4000E its to much you say ? 1-2 month of standard programmers work ? Its even "ok" for one person who in real interest to do something. We buy x1000 for 3500 and 4000 its too much for such professional app ? It's big fat luck that we get dopus5 sources for so less. It cost 20.000 and more with no problems, just not many amiga users is here today. Having looks at sources, i see how much time was spend on, how clean they are, how everything good and professionally done. All who make their doubts before about worth of that bounty surprise me from very beginning. Only excuse that none know before how good code are, or just do not know what dopus5 are. Once you will try to use it NORMALLY, and understand all the features it have and what it provide, you will be in big fat surprise how it possible to have such an app today.

Even with ugly scroll bars and icons, yes :)

Edited by kas1e on 2013/4/19 11:10:07
Edited by kas1e on 2013/4/19 11:12:14
Edited by kas1e on 2013/4/19 11:15:35
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
thanx for info. Then a special thank to him.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 17 »