Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: warpos on x1000
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
It's weird, because the 440 and 460 are basically the same processor.

Similar maybe but not identical, the library looks very "hardware specific" for what i can see, for example it doesn't work correctly even on standard Sam440 Flex machines while instead it works normally on Sam440ep and old AmigaOnes

Quote:
Didn't Alinea "sponsor" the powerpc.library (because it died after about the first release). Maybe they have the source code?

Yes it was sponsored but the source still on the Joerg's hands ...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Joerg is aware it doesn't work also Partition Wizard
It needs modifying each time a new platform is released.
Bugs are open for powerpc.library and partition wizard on the X1000

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jurassicc

So he still around ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
I gen an asnwer from Frank, he currently busy with all the stuff as expected, and while he did have pegasos2 (with os4) together with sam440 (that one without os4, he get it in hope to port netbsd on it), he still busy with all sort of stuff (inlude unixes, vbcc, games and co). But if alfkil will start a works, he for sure will help with ideas and problematic parts.

Important piece of info which he say, is that warpos emulation is VERY cpu specific (very expected), so no wonders that it didn't works on some cpus without necessary fixes.

In meanwhile, until noone start a new version, i can make a topic on hyperion's forum where we can collect all suggestions/questions/bug-reports about warpos emulation support in os4, and i can make them as BZs , just to not leave it all in dust at all. Maybe someone someday will have a right info from those BZs.

Edited by kas1e on 2013/3/9 10:54:08
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
In meanwhile, until noone start a new version, i can make a topic on hyperion's forum where we can collect all suggestions/questions/bug-reports about warpos emulation support in os4, and i can make them as BZs , just to not leave it all in dust at all. Maybe someone someday will have a right info from those BZs.

Sure fell free to do that, consider also that (as general reference) some hints regarding the current WarpOS compatibility can be taken directly from the latest powerpc.library.guide (file is availible inside the Joerg's archive)

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... ibrary/misc/warposemu.lha

I did aswell some WarpOS test under my Sam440 Flex, the results are different comparing to the guide but it show how many (new) problems we have with such PPC games using different platform (Sam Flex comparing to the standard AmigaOne) and surely little difference still also between plain Sam440ep and newest SamFlex with different clock and/or different Radeon gfx --> aka more crap to understand, test and fix at the end

See:

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.b ... t=404&hilit=compatibility

So yes all is possible but it need some work and deep test, i'm availible to help for any kind of betatesting of course and i'm sure many other will be, all we need is a skilled dev

BTW: as other pointed above, a bounty page is also opened, that means we can also start collect money to incentivate the project

http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=viewproject&projectid=71

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@JurassicC

Quote:
Joerg is aware it doesn't work also Partition Wizard

Wha?! Partition Wizard is hardware-dependent? Why?!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Don't know why, but it doesn't work with the X1000.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thread

any update here? did anyone get a firm answer from joerg if he was interested in resuming work on this, or, alternatively, allowing an interested developer access to the source code? it seems a terrible shame that the SAM460, X1000, and now the upcoming X5000 systems will never be supported.

i still use software on my pegasos that uses powerpc.library like fxpaint, heretic, perfectpaint, and wildfire 7. i'd really like to continue to use them on newer machines. if money is an issue, i'd be happy to contribute towards a bounty or whatever mechanism is required to motivate the code owners to help out here.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@eliyahu

+1 I also want to donate, I think this is very important, I have a lot of software that I can not use on my 460

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@eliyahu
I remember i write to Joerg few mails some time ago with questions about, but have no answer. And because Steven says on hp's forum there is no priority in warpos support because of limited resources, then imho don't hold your hope. I even remember that when hyperion forum firstly opens , Frank write some report about warpous support where note what and where wrong and which can be easy fixed, but that wasn't done for years, so i for myself mark warpos as deprecated, sadly.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
That is a shame.

I would donate towards a bounty to get the library made CPU generic.

Alien Air Attack

SAM440@733 mhz as main amiga.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thread

fair enough. i certainly understand if the OS developers -- joerg included -- have higher priorities. i imagine i'm in the minority using WOS software still. that said, if we could raise the money to purchase the sources for powerpc.library, then perhaps a third-party could take over.

@joerg

any interest in the above? i'm sure we could agree to whatever distribution terms you'd prefer.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yep an updated library would be great, currently it's even not 100% functional on supported platforms like Sam440 Flex :-/

Some WarpOS games (WipeOut 2097 for example) will freeze almost instantanely while they more or less work under Sam440

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79
Well Wipeout freezes quickly on my sam440, so an updated library would be very welcome.

Alien Air Attack

SAM440@733 mhz as main amiga.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@eliyahu

Quote:
@joerg

any interest in the above? i'm sure we could agree to whatever distribution terms you'd prefer.
If the Sam440-flex uses a different CPU than the Sam440ep and it doesn't work for that reason I need to know the exact CPU model used on it.
460ex support should be quite easy, the main difference to the 440ep relevant for powerpc.library is IIRC that it's a 36 instead of 32 bit CPU.
PA6T: No idea if it's possible at all, and I don't have docs for this CPU.

If you want to use it for old WarpOS Warp3D games: Forget it, nearly all of them have way too much bugs, and even if they work on AmigaOS 4.1 the Warp3D parts often only work with Permedia2 and Voodoo gfx cards, which were the only ones supported by Warp3D when these games were created. On Radeon gfx cards a lot of these old Warp3D games don't work because of 3D bugs which were no problem on Permedia2/Vodoo, and it's not related to the powerpc.library WarpOS API wrapper since it's exactly the same with the m68k versions of these games.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

...and this is exactly why we should move forward...

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

No they crash just as fast on the sam440ep non flex as I have one and all the warpOS software crashes either after a few seconds or on startup just after the WarpOS logo for the emulation library is displayed.

WarpOS emulation was never really worked on anything but Eye Tech AmigaOne's as far as I know.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
If you want to use it for old WarpOS Warp3D games: Forget it, nearly all of them have way too much bugs, and even if they work on AmigaOS 4.1 the Warp3D parts often only work with Permedia2 and Voodoo gfx cards, which were the only ones supported by Warp3D when these games were created. On Radeon gfx cards a lot of these old Warp3D games don't work because of 3D bugs which were no problem on Permedia2/Vodoo, and it's not related to the powerpc.library WarpOS API wrapper since it's exactly the same with the m68k versions of these games.

thanks for getting back to me, joerg. although i'm not sure about others, for me the big advantage to having powerpc.library support for the newer systems is the ability to run the PPC-native (warpUP) versions of fxpaint and perfectpaint, tools i still use for photo editing. and since most of my photos are fairly high resolutions the performance delta between the WOS binaries and the 68K binaries is very noticeable.

with my X5000 coming (eventually) i'm just curious to see if there is both user and developer interest in updating powerpc.library for the newer systems. if arteffect 5 ever ships then i guess my personal need would be less, but i'd certainly still like to have it as an option.

if you would be amenable to either sharing your source or working on changes yourself, please let us know. i'm sure we could raise the funds necessary if that would help.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Dwyloc

Quote:
WarpOS emulation was never really worked on anything but Eye Tech AmigaOne's as far as I know.
It's not an emulator, just an API wrapper. It supports all PowerPC CPUs (60x, 750 and 74xy) and the Book-E 440ep CPU, i.e. it's working on A1200, A3000, A4000, AmigaOne SE, AmigaOne XE, µA1, Sam440 and PegasosII.
Of course buggy games don't work, but bug free WarpOS software does work on my Sam440ep.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Well atleast a "quick fix" to make it running under Sam460 would be nice for now, of course we all know that many of that WarpOS programs (games mostly) have issues and they will never work at 100% under OS4, however some of them more or less works (decently) so would be logic to have this library running also on Sam460 and of course X1000 (if possible)

Quote:
If the Sam440-flex uses a different CPU than the Sam440ep and it doesn't work for that reason I need to know the exact CPU model used on it.

Well no, except the clock frequency it's the same CPU, infact the libs works even on my SamFlex 800, however it seems we have some different results between the plain Sam440 and the SamFlex .. under Flex (almost mine at 800Mhz) most games are unstable and they freeze the machine quite instantanely after you load them (WipeOut and Heretic 2 are a good example) while they works better on plain Sam440

Still also some different results compared to the classic AmigaOne, again for example WipeOut 2097 works quite good on my AmigaOne XE (with a Radeon 9200) with only some sporadic DSI, but no freeze at all, while as i said it's not playable on my Sam Flex 800 + Radeon 9250 (it freeze during game)

So as you can understand still some little differences even between the current supported platform and similar (if not the same) graphics card, but that little differences represent the boundary for an usable .. and a not usable experience .. :-/

So i hope you can found a fix also for such issues, keep it up

Edited by samo79 on 2014/2/25 19:18:04
Edited by samo79 on 2014/2/25 19:22:21
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »