Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »
Post-Update 6 updates
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Thought it would be nice to create a thread for these to notify when new updates are available.

Currently AmiUpdate is offering me:
PCIGraphics.card

Calculator was also available initially.

Go to top
Re: Post-Update 6 updates
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I got today a new amiupdate update from the initial 2.22 -> 2.24

and as you said version 53.5 of pcigraphics.card with the following info :

Fixed to work with Sam460ex onboard GPU.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I didn't upgrade since I have no Sam460EX..

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Well, the whole idea of using something like AmiUpdate, is that users discover the updates for themselves, and this helps reduce the strain on the server. Announcing the updates will cause a surge in the downloads again.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
I didn't upgrade since I have no Sam460EX..

You should always update if the option is made available.

If an update does not apply to your platform, it will not show up as an option. That is one of the features of AmiUpdate.

There may also be future updates which depend on this one. If you don't apply the update, you will never see the future updates due to the missing dependency.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Amigo1

If you are offered an update, you might as well install it regardless of what the releasenotes say. In the case of pcigraphics.card, it had some Sam460 issues, so it hasn't technically changed for other platforms, but sometimes a very small bug might get fixed, but be overshadowed by a major bug. Its always worth installing the updates.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have selected two servers in prefs (update.amigaos.net, www.amiupdate.net) but Rhingio always says "Connection to update.amigaos.net failed".
Does this server work, have I screwed something up?

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:
Well, the whole idea of using something like AmiUpdate, is that users discover the updates for themselves, and this helps reduce the strain on the server. Announcing the updates will cause a surge in the downloads again.

One 100K (or whatever) file isn't quite the same as a 700MB ISO though, is it?

If you don't have AmiUpdate set to automatic then this thread might warn that there are updates that might otherwise be missed for weeks. If everybody has it set to automatic... there's still going to be loads of users downloading updates at the same time isn't there?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Quote:

Chris wrote:
If you don't have AmiUpdate set to automatic then this thread might warn that there are updates that might otherwise be missed for weeks. If everybody has it set to automatic... there's still going to be loads of users downloading updates at the same time isn't there?

I don't see why. Even when set to automatic, the user can stil set the frequency, so it will still spread the load, unless everyone scans and updates at the same moment in time.

Simon

Edited by Rigo on 2012/12/5 7:01:03
----
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
Rigo wrote:
@Amigo1

If you are offered an update, you might as well install it regardless of what the releasenotes say. In the case of pcigraphics.card, it had some Sam460 issues, so it hasn't technically changed for other platforms, but sometimes a very small bug might get fixed, but be overshadowed by a major bug. Its always worth installing the updates.

If your code delivery is anything like mine we only document the major changes. Otherwise our users find too may red herrings reading our release notes. We learned to only document the big changes.

Sometimes less IS more.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The only niggle, ands its only a niggle, the Workbench menu item is 'Update software...' yet when AmiUpdate is run it still expects you to hit the Scan button manually. Ideally whenever AmiUpdate is run from the Workbench it should immediately begin scanning rather than prompt the user to do what they always intended to do anyway.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki
The menu item is 'Update software...' NOT 'Update software' . Those little ...s have a meaning, which is that it won't actually perform the menu option without further user input.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@djrikki
The menu item is 'Update software...' NOT 'Update software' . Those little ...s have a meaning, which is that it won't actually perform the menu option without further user input.

Actually the ellipsis mean that a requester will appear. I don't think it means nothing will happen (and even if the scan does happen, it's not going to update anything without further input so I don't see a problem with this?)

I agree that it would be better for the scan to be initiated immediately.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
gregthecanuck wrote:
Quote:

If your code delivery is anything like mine we only document the major changes. Otherwise our users find too may red herrings reading our release notes. We learned to only document the big changes.

Sometimes less IS more.

I am beginning to think you are right. I found at least two users that refused to install the update just because I happened to put "Sam460ex" in the text.

Call it a learning experience...

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ssolie

Not your fault. Sometimes "informations" from beta testers aren't helpful in this regards, either. BTW I really like this new feature, thanks to all involved!

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris Quote:
Actually the ellipsis mean that a requester will appear.

It doesn't mean that:
Quote:
Ellipsis
When a menu item brings up a window or requester, an ellipsis (three dots) should be appended to the menu item's label.

Taken from:
http://wiki.amigaos.net/index.php/UI_Style_Guide_Menus

But as far as the *user* is concerned, it means the program will NOT immediately start performing the action, but rather allow the user an opportunity to make further choices or change their mind entirely. (The window or requester is merely a means for that to happen.)

I thought the suggestion was AmiUpdate should immediately start updating files. But if it is just whether it should start scanning, then I guess it would be OK: The scan won't actually perform the update without further user interaction, so perhaps it would be acceptable.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
Cool! Somebody is actually using the wiki as a reference.

By the way, I chose to put the ellipsis on the menu item and I chose to make sure (by default) that the AmiUpdate window would open up. I believe users can change this default behaviour to their liking including not opening up a window at all. Regardless, the default behaviour was chosen on purpose and I believe I followed the style guide rules.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

ssolie wrote:
I am beginning to think you are right. I found at least two users that refused to install the update just because I happened to put "Sam460ex" in the text.

It even affects the odd Beta Tester at times who won't test something because they think it's only for the Sam460ex

crazy but true

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie
Quote:
There may also be future updates which depend on this one. If you don't apply the update, you will never see the future updates due to the missing dependency.

If I have one of my PPC Amigas in the closet for 6 months or a year, how will I get it updated then?? It's not that far-fetched for someone not to have an Amiga temporarily out of use. My old µA1 has been in the closet for almost a year now as a backup in case my SAM fails. Periodically I get it out and apply the updates I have collected on my SAM hard drive. It seems to me that updates that are required for a future update should be retained on the server.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Quote:
Actually the ellipsis mean that a requester will appear.

It doesn't mean that:
Quote:

Ellipsis
When a menu item brings up a window or requester, an ellipsis (three dots) should be appended to the menu item's label.

You've managed to disagree with me by posting a quote which backs up what I said. How is that even possible?!

Quote:
But as far as the *user* is concerned, it means the program will NOT immediately start performing the action, but rather allow the user an opportunity to make further choices or change their mind entirely. (The window or requester is merely a means for that to happen.)

I thought the suggestion was AmiUpdate should immediately start updating files. But if it is just whether it should start scanning, then I guess it would be OK: The scan won't actually perform the update without further user interaction, so perhaps it would be acceptable.

I don't think anybody was suggesting it should update without user confirmation. Scanning automatically saves a click that the user is going to have to do anyway.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »