Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
How to use svntool plugin?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello and thanks again for this great peace of Amiga-Software!

Currently I'm fiddling about the usage of svn with Codebench. My project has all its headers, makefiles, sources and the Codebench-Projectfile stored in a SVN repository (file based).

So far I had the svn plugin figured which only asked my to check out sources when they are some days old. Everytime I pressed the synchronize button nothing happened.

Yesterday I tried to used the svntool pluging on my existent project which was created as normal one and where I added and commited all dirs and files manually into svn. Now when pressing synchronize a dialog pops up where I can choose from all parts of the project to commit, check out etc.
Funnily enough the dialog tells me that all of my headers, source etc. are not part of the repository but I can open their revision history using the same dialog though.
This might be correlated with the circumstance that I did not configure a repository within the project setup yet. But this is not possible. At least not from within the dialog which opens when the synchronize button is pressed. When I choose the settings button the requester pops up where URL and credentials for the repository can be entered but all 3 fields are deactivated! I cannot enter anything here. The project itself is setup as a versioned one with the svntool plugin chosen.

So my question is how to configure my project to use svn and my repository appropriately (including committing of changes etc.)? Can I set this inside some preferences/dialogs or maybe is there a possibility to enter it directly in my Codebench-Projectfile?

Many thanks in advance and

Best Regards

Go to top
Re: How to use svntool plugin?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I'm not really sure what the problem is to be honest, so to try and make any diagnosis is hard.

I assume, if you open a shell and CD to the project directory, you can do "svn update" without errors?

If so, the only thing I can think of is you might have to tell the svntool plugin where the "svn" client is located from the prefs.
http://codebench.co.uk/docs/synchplugins.html#prefs

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Simon,

the svn client is set as just "svn" in the prefs dialog. When entering svn in my shell it is found and called appropriately.
Yesterday I did a svn commit in shell within the dir where my Codebench project file resides (it is the only versioned file within this dir - only other subdirs are also part of the repository.

Unfortunately I created the working copy before using the svn plugins inside Codebench.

According to the part of the docs you referred my to the working copy needs to be created with codebench when the repository prefs shall be set. So is there any way to revert this (for example deleting everything on local hd after commiting all changes and creating a new working copy using Codebench or adding the appropriate entries manually into the codebench config file [do not know the appropriate format for these setting-lines though])?

Thanks again!

Bye

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Reth

Quote:

the svn client is set as just "svn" in the prefs dialog. When entering svn in my shell it is found and called appropriately.
Yesterday I did a svn commit in shell within the dir where my Codebench project file resides (it is the only versioned file within this dir - only other subdirs are also part of the repository.

Well, in that case the svn client must be somewhere on the system path, but as it is found by the shell, I can only assume it is.

Quote:

Unfortunately I created the working copy before using the svn plugins inside Codebench.

That should be no problem at all. Provided everything is set up correctly, it should "just work".

Your original description was not enough for me to see what was wrong, so I'm going to need specific error messages and exact steps to reproduce.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi again Simon,

ok, I'll try to describe the problem more detailed.

First of all my project directory looks like this:
Resized Image

Header:
Resized Image

Sources:
Resized Image

And Makefiles:
Resized Image

After Starting Codebench and loading the project I'm asked to get files new (which I always deny since local files are newer):
Resized Image

Here you can see my plugin settings inside the project settings:
Resized Image

When opening the synchronize view (which does not work BTW when only using svn.plugin) nothing is recognized as within the repository as you can see here:
Resized Image

here:
Resized Image

and here:
Resized Image

Unfortunately I cannot enter any repository information inside this dialog (as described in help):
Resized Image

The svn command is configured like the following:
Resized Image

When just typing svn -help in shell I get the following:
Resized Image

When typing svn info inside my project dir I get this output:
Resized Image

Hope this makes it all more clear. Question now is what can I do in order to use the full svn integration with my project inside Codebench?

Many thanks in advance and

Best Regards

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
OK, well after looking at the svntool source, the problem I thought it might be, isn't it after all.

So, can you sent me the "entries" file from the ".svn" directory inside the project directory. Please send it to bugs()codebench.co.uk.

Simon

----
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello again Simon,

entries files just sent.

Best Regards
René

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Received, just trying to go through them now

Simon

----
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
OK, the problem is that the "entries" files are not in the correct format. The SVN entries file needs to be in xml format.

I don't know which svn client you used to check-out the sources, but the local repository management files are nothing like I have seen before.

This is why it doesn't work.

Perhaps you could sent me the SVN client you used to check-out the source, and I can take a look.

In the meantime, the latest client is at http://os4depot.net/share/development/utility/subversion.lha

This is the version I use, and it works just fine.

Simon

----
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Simon,

I'm using the AAMP version (native AOS4 AAMP) since the version from OS4Depot has a non working server (at least as I was told and I could not use normal file based repositories with it though, I'm even suspecting it to have ruined on of my HDDs).

The AAMP version from Edgar works just fine here regarding server (file based repository) and client.

You can find it here, the sources are here.

Best Regards
René

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Wel, I must admit that setting up a new svn server and client just to test this out is going to be far too much work.

I don't understand why this particular client does things differently to the others, but all I can suggest is to try the svn client on os4depot with the AAMP server and see if it works. Rewriting huge chunks of the svntool plugin for this one client really isn't going to be worth the reward.

Simon

----
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Reth

The svn on os4depot works pefectly well for file based access ie urls like

file:///Projects/__SVNREP/ProAction/trunk

If repository is on your local machine there is no need to get AAMP involved at all.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@broadblues:
For me it did not, neither on A4000PPC, nor on Peg2. I could setup and use a file based repository but sooner or later it got scrambled without any chance of repair. The ReadMe on OS4Depot already refers to it (see topic 5.).

I already had some discussions on that, unfortunately do not remeber whether it was in some fora or via mail (hm, think it was maybe with Olaf directly).

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I think Andy was referring to the client. Many members of the AmigaOS dev team use the OS4 client from os4depot without problems. I have personally been using it for a few years and never a problem with it. Servers, however, are a different matter.

Simon

----
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OK, I see. Hopefully I'll find the time in order to try the OS4Depot svn client (need to check what I've got to do in conjunction with AAMP in order not to mess things up).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo

But you don't need a server for file: protocol access only for svn: or http: access

So the fact that the server is broken doesn't matter.

I've been running my local SVN this way since I put AOrganiser into a repository that, was ages back.

I've not come across any issues (looks for wood to touch...)

Ofcourse that no help if you want to run a repository on another machine, then you would be best of using linux for the server and the os4depot client

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hm, but at least I was told that doing file based repositories with Olaf's subversion may do harm to your content. As said I had it twice, on my A4000PPC and on my Peg2 later on. Maybe it only has to do with the svnadmin tool, I'm not sure and could not yet find the related communication.

Only after using the AAMP-Version also for creating and administering the repository worked fine after all.

But anyway I'll try to use Olaf's svn client (in parallel if possible), still wanted to give one hint though: The version of Edgar is a far newer one than the one Olaf ported in earlier times.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I used Olafs svadmin only to set up the repositories, I haven't touched it since. All access goes throught the client.

I've never had any issues. I haven't stress tested reverting versions etc, as I've only needed to do this a couple of times.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Today after some additional lookup I found my conversation with Olaf. Unfortunately it is entirely in German. But the origin was a mail from me to the AOS4 beta mailing list where I reported about horrible crashes I had with the svn version of Olaf.
Did not read all those mails again (I can sent anybody from here also on this list the subject again if necessary). Within my conversation with Olaf he admitted that he did not hear about any such problems before! And he advised me to setup a small server environment (cheap linux PC for example) in order to get my repository served since he fears that AOS4 and its capabilities in terms of stability and file handling are not sufficient enough to provide a stable serve basis for svn which does heavy file action.

Also it is quite strange that the newer version of svn does not use xml for its .entries (and maybe other) config files anymore whereas the old one still does.

Anyway today I installed the old one in addition and tried a svnlook info on my repository. And again I got a GR (the repository HDD is a new one meanwhile). If necessary I can provide the crashlog. The svn client might work, did not check it yet. But this shows me that there still is some problem anywhere around. Maybe it is due to different file systems between repository and working copy dir?
The svnlook info of the newer AAMP version worked flawlessly though.

Ok, just checked svn checkout too with version from Olaf. It crashed severly (log can be provided if necessary). I tried it in Ram: on trunk of my project. Currently doing the same with the AAMP version of svn client. It checks out all my files into Ram: without any hassle.

So maybe only I've got the problem with the version provided by Olaf or I should try a new attempt mailing it into beta list or on Hyperion forum.

Edited by Reth on 2012/11/19 19:59:45
Edited by Reth on 2012/11/19 20:01:08
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Reth

How much stack?

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »