Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »
Re: Timberwolf RC1 available
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@eroom

Quote:
Been using it for two days now and its a lot better than before, its a lot faster and more stable on my 460. Not having any of the problems some have been having, even imported my bookmarks from my windows firefox installation no problem.

Strange, doesn't seem much faster at all here! More stable but unable to get copy and paste to woork correctly, tied R-Amiga C and CTRL C combinations as well as menus, just doesn't work for me but last version did!

Quote:
Very happy with this version and looking forward to the final release.
Its getting harder to choose between MUIOWB and Timberwolf now although MUIOWB may just have the edge due to its speed.

It's getting better but a long way from being my default browser, shall continue using MUIOWB as much faster and cut n paste works well too.Hopefully later releases will have speed improvements and minor fixes

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Running fine here, even have Firebug running on it. :)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
tonyw wrote:

Perhaps someone with working bookmarks could export an HTML file and post part of it so that I could copy the format. Just the header, trailer and one or two items from the middle would be enough.
I'll send you mine offline, Tony.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Timberwolf RC gives a grim reaper the first time I run it. If I kill the program and re-run it, it does OK. Here's a link to the crashlog:

http://crashlog.os4depot.net/cl342

'non fixed' A1XE, USB card, Sil 0680 IDE, 512mb RAM, Radeon 9250, OS4.1 Update 5
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Update...

My system specs ... MicroA1 with 750 GX CPU and 256 MB RAM

Perhaps my problem is with RANDOM or not enough memory to run RANDOM and Timberwolf at the same time.

With RANDOM mounted and running and Timberwolf running ..
Web page update is fast, but every other action (including menus) seems sluggish, almost as if I am using a slow CPU or running in low memory conditions. Lots of disk activity as well.
If I use Timberwolf on my FFS2 partition ... sluggish.
If I use Timberwolf on my SFS partition ... sluggish.
If I use Timberwolf on my JXFS partition ... all operations faster.

Current configuration:
RANDOM in Storage (not mounted and not running)
Timberwolf on my JXFS partition ... all operations are fast.

With my current configuration, web page update is fast and all other operations are fast. The bookmarks I saved earlier are available at the bottom of the bookmark menu and they work.

This will suffice for now, because I do not have enough RAM to use Timberwolf to its fullest potential.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2012/7/16 3:30:52
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

redfox wrote:

RANDOM in Storage (not mounted and not running)

?

It is supposed to be mounted.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Answering a few more things:

GUI font size.

I'll check if that can be changed. From the look of it, it's tied to the theme, so I'm not sure it can be done.

Startup problems:

The crash on startup is as far as I can see a problem with fontconfig. I'm not sure where the problem actually comes from, but the code that initializes it is general Firefox code, so my guess is that it's fontconfig that's at fault. Maybe it's not threadsafe, which would explain the erractic behavior. I'll try to work around it in Timberwolf.

Also, in general, it's a good idea to delete all files when installing a new version. You might first want to try to leave CurrentUserProfile untouched, but if problems persist, remove that as well, just to be sure, or start timberwolf with the "-P" option and create a new profile.

RANDOM:

Note please that RANDOM: MUST be mounted. It affects all database access, which also means history, cookies etc.

Memory consumption:

As you know, we've limited the bounty to 4.0.1, since any other attempt would mean we'd be updating source code every month (FF is at 14.0 now). After the initial port, and after the bounty is over, I plan on updating it to a later source code (ideally, we can start updating to the current release then from time to time). Later releases have made attempts at bringing down the memory consumption considerably.

You might also want to check the settings, I think there was a memory cache option somewhere: If it's not in the GUI, try "about:config" in the address bar, and search for entries starting with browser.cache.memory

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
By the way, regarding the 100 % CPU usage.

I made a test here with a simple start of timberwolf (no arguments) showing the about:home page.

I see an initial CPU load of 100 %, which goes down to 3 % after a while. It then periodically rises again to 100 % for a few seconds, before going down to 3 % again.

During those 100 % times, i see a lot of disk activity. In fact, it's mainly accesses to sqlite databases that seem to cause the high load.

Can someone please check this/verify this ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
I'll try updating to RC1 (oops), to see if this helps.

I'm still unable to import my Firefox bookmarks (which renders it rather useless). When importing bookmarks, it freezes with CPU usage at 100% for a long time, before eventually dropping to (near) 0%, but still frozen. (On an X1000.)

Is there anything I can do to help debug this?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Frieden bros

Thank you very much...this version is awesome

I commented on my two bugs

It s far more stable here now (giving some headaches on add-on installing though, but they are gone on restart) running now as my main browser.

Thanks again, awesome work

Regarding add-on installing:
One thing that doesnt work is the "automated restart after addon has been installed"...well, it DOES work, but it quits and restarts so fast that the first incarnation of TW does not has the chance to free itself up completely, which leads to crashy behaviour and of course a lot of RAM eating.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tfrieden

Quote:
GUI font size.

I'll check if that can be changed. From the look of it, it's tied to the theme, so I'm not sure it can be done.

About font:

Past work did by Alkfil for his QT port may help you in any way ?

http://qtamigaosnative.svn.sourceforg ... view=revision&revision=89

About crash at startup in TW after many test i might say that problems seems related to the coexistence of a previous session of MUI OWB opened, infact if, first i open TW and then --> MUI OWB there is no problem at startup

But if i start TW and MUI OWB is already opened in background i got a crash when i start TW ... so it seems a bad conflict between the 2 FontConfig used .. maybe ...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I can't copy/paste here either in RC1 :/
Also, wouldn't it be possible to write in different languages (greek in my case) before the final version is released?

In general, it's more stable than ever before :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Vulture wrote:
I can't copy/paste here either in RC1 :/

Have you tried using CTRL+C and CTRL+V?
It has been said that AMIGA+C, AMIGA+V does not work (yet)
for the CTRL works for c&p and of course the pulldown menu

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

tfrieden wrote:
By the way, regarding the 100 % CPU usage.

I made a test here with a simple start of timberwolf (no arguments) showing the about:home page.

I see an initial CPU load of 100 %, which goes down to 3 % after a while. It then periodically rises again to 100 % for a few seconds, before going down to 3 % again.

During those 100 % times, i see a lot of disk activity. In fact, it's mainly accesses to sqlite databases that seem to cause the high load.

Can someone please check this/verify this ?

ok running TW RC1 right now & at startup it goes straight to near 100% but after not doign anything for a minute it drops down to 6-7%. Once i touch the mouse again immediately back to 100%, let rest for 1 m inute or so & back down to 6-7%. this cycle repeats and eventually i get full system slow down for a minute or two (actually just happened while i was typing this post!)...after back from hang..same cycle continues.
Note that there is no guru errors etc. I can still move the TW screen and run other programs.

later tonight I'll try to get a debug log to see if that can show what's going on.

btw, 0 disk acivity during the hang periods

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

I can reproduce the crash at quit with RC1...added a comment to your bug item

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw
Try owbutilities.

Basicly this (from TW):
<!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1>
<!-- 
This is an automatically generated file.

It will be read and overwritten.
     DO 
NOT EDIT! -->
<
META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<
TITLE>Bookmarks</TITLE>
<
H1>Bookmarks</H1>

<
DL><p>
    <
DT><H3 PERSONAL_TOOLBAR_FOLDER="true" ID="rdf:#$FvPhC3">Bookmarks Toolbar Folder</H3>
<
DD>Add bookmarks to this folder to see them displayed on the Bookmarks Toolbar

<DL><p>
        <
DT><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/central/" ID="rdf:#$GvPhC3">Getting Started</A>
        <
DT><A HREF="http://fxfeeds.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/livebookmarks/" FEEDURL="http://fxfeeds.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/headlines.xml" ID="rdf:#$HvPhC3">Latest Headlines</A>
    </
DL><p>
    <
DT><H3 ID="rdf:#$ZvPhC3">Mozilla Firefox</H3>
    <
DL><p>
        <
DT><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/help/" ID="rdf:#$22iCK1">Help and Tutorials</A>
        <
DT><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/customize/" ID="rdf:#$32iCK1">Customize Firefox</A>
        <
DT><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/community/" ID="rdf:#$42iCK1">Get Involved</A>
        <
DT><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/about/" ID="rdf:#$52iCK1">About Us</A>
    </
DL><p>
</
DL><p>

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel

Mmm direct link ?

This tracker start to be big enough, still hard to find the comments you search !

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

RacerX wrote:
Timberwolf RC gives a grim reaper the first time I run it. If I kill the program and re-run it, it does OK. Here's a link to the crashlog:

http://crashlog.os4depot.net/cl342

The last time I ran Timberwolf I checked the box that said 'Always show the tab bar' (I usually have it off). This time when I started Timberwolf it didn't crash! I don't know why that would have anything to do with it.

Speaking of tabs, I noticed that if I have a single tab opened, the 'back' button is greyed out and doesn't work. If I open a second tab, the back button works for the first tab.

'non fixed' A1XE, USB card, Sil 0680 IDE, 512mb RAM, Radeon 9250, OS4.1 Update 5
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

Just filter for "Open Issues"

Here s the bug s comment

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

Yes, tried ctrl+c/v and the menus, no luck :/

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »