Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »
Re: Timberwolf RC1 available
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Wicked!

Nice One!

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
My tooth hurt since yesterday and im full of headache pills, cant sleep. So i fired up the x1000 and did see the updated Timberwolf :) Thanks, something to try out as i cant sleep anyway :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'm running TW on an A1-XE with a beta installation. This is a clean installation of TW into a clean SFS\02 partition.

@Severin:
Quote:

One thing I noticed is the back button doesn't work...

It won't work for me, either. For me the button is always ghosted. It was in all the previous versions of TW, too.

How can I import my bookmarks from OWB? I assume that I have to edit OWB's text file into an HTML file, but what format does the html file have to be? Everything I have tried so far is completely ignored by TW.

I tried to bookmark a couple of pages so that I could export the bookmarks.html file and see its format, but nothing happens when I select "Bookmark this page" or type Ctrl/D. Exporting bookmarks does not generate any file.

I saw someone mention F11. Is there a document somewhere that describes the shortcut keys?

Is there some documentation for the GUI? What do all the toolbars do?

Are we going to see a "proper" Amiga-style menu? The current menu that shows different things depending on whether you press the LMB or RMB is confusing.

Should I be able to change the font size? The default font used throughout the GUI (labels, titles, etc, not displayed text) is much too big and ignores the system Font settings.

The first time I tried it, I had a shell open before I ran TW. After I quit TW, I tried to close the Shell and the system locked up. Unfortunately I didn't have my serial terminal turned on at the time and, of course, it hasn't happened again.

Edited by tonyw on 2012/7/14 11:05:39
cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
It won't work for me, either. For me the button is always ghosted. It was in all the previous versions of TW, too.

I already reported this (and related problems) here:
http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissue&issueid=742

And from what little testing I've done, the latest version of TW seems much less stable than previous releases (probably because they totally rewrote how multithreading was handled).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
I saw someone mention F11. Is there a document somewhere that describes the shortcut keys?

Well, not mutch to say, it just increase the browser window to cover the entire Workbench screen, just press F11 and you will see for yourself, this functionality work exact the same on all the other version of Firefox/other OS

Here a quick list of the availible shortcuts

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/k ... orm-firefox-tasks-quickly

Quote:
Is there some documentation for the GUI? What do all the toolbars do?

Again check: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/home

Here you can find all info you need for Timberwolf/Firefox

Quote:
Should I be able to change the font size? The default font used throughout the GUI (labels, titles, etc, not displayed text) is much too big and ignores the system Font settings.

Sadly no, but there is a ticket already open on the bugtracker so let's hope to see it implemented as soon as possible

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The overall speed is improved. The mouse problem with the vertical scrollbar still. It's seems that there are some problem exiting the application: the system become a little unstable: maybe the memory is not completely released?

Thank you, btw, for your nice work.

The page rendering is OK.

P.S.
Never had a look at the code of FF. Really there is so much js code?

Retired
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Back button (& forward button) work fine for me.

TrevorD

AmigaOne X1000 betatester
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

TrevorDick wrote:
I thought the last release was good but this one is even better. Appears very stable so far. Is definately now my browser of choice on the A1-X1000. Haven't tried it on my other machines yet.

Well done!

TrevorD

strange as I'm experiencing the exact opposite on my X1000 as the last update was more stable for me. I'm getting random lockups for minutes at a time with my CPU monitor hovering at 100% usage while TW is working.
My back-forward buttons are working, bookmarks fine etc. but this RC1 release seems worse for me so far.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
If you are having trouble, please make sure to delete the old installation, including the user profile, and retry. An old database that is not correctly initialized may interfere, especially if the back button doesn't work.

Note that there is no way this update can be more unstable than the last one. The last beta had much more fundamental changes.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
To address a few issues

Back button:

This works for me. it might not work if you are having trouble with the database access, because the back button basically fetches the previous page from the database. If you are running without RANDOM and from a partition that does not support the record locking, it won't work.

I had an occasional problem with it as well, when coming from another window back to the browser window (like, from bookmarks). It might be related to window activation (the window does not get the proper focus). I'll check that.

Splash screen staying:

This is only on first run, because basically, the program runs twice when you start it the first time. I consider this really a minor issue, because if you quit, the splash screen will disappear, anyway.

Scrolling following mouse:

Sorry, I overlooked that. The scroll bar does not get the mouse up event if you release the mouse button outside of the main window, so it will stick to the mouse. Will fix that in RC2

OS4.2:

I'm not the only one working on it, you know. There's a whole bunch more.

Unfreed signals:

Yeah, sound code seems to leave signals unfreed. It's a minor issue, but after trying TW on my X1000 (I usually test on a Pegasos) I noticed that also the sound code does not correctly check if the sound device opened at all. So if you run on a machine without sound card (like my X1000), it will crash on exit. Will be fixed in RC2

100 % CPU/lots of tasks:

Timberwolf resp. Firefox is extremely multithreaded. It uses threads for almost everything. In fact, when I test it on my machine I see up to 20 threads at the same time. It's useful because every thread can run on a different CPU/core, so once we have the multip-core support finished, TW will use it to full advantage...

I still couldn't get to the bottom of the 100 % CPU issue. I don't think it's an actual bug, because I see lots of activity from different parts of the browser at any time. I don't consider it a deal breaker right now, since it will not disrupt functionality. But of course, I will look into it

File system issues:

In a previous thread, I outlined the method to move the profile directory to another disk. And for the record, I use it from FFS2 and I don't find it too slow. It takes longer to startup from an FFS2 partition, but from SFS, it needs less than on my Windows PC, which I consider more than fast enough...

Stability:

You may not consider it a release candidate, but I do. I tested it extensively, and I can run it for hours without crashes or lockups. Your mileage may vary, but that's why we do a beta test at all. If you want these problems to be fixed, I invite you to post your findings to the bugtracker.

Amiga style menus/any Amiga specific feature:

As I said before, this is a port, not a native application. Right now, I focus on porting, and trust me, that is already enough work. I will add specific features at one point, like Amiga menus, AREXX and so on, but right not, I just want to get the thing finished, meaning stable and usable.

Bookmark import:

I tried importing bookmarks, naturally, and for me it works (exported from my Window installation). TW does not support OWB's format, so there is nothing I can do. Sorry, not going to happen

F11/shortcuts/documentation:

There are numerous sources for documentation on Mozilla/Firefox. F11 is a standard key for Firefox to change to fullscreen mode. If you need information, check mozilla.org or firefox.com. I will not waste my time writing documentation for TW that is not specific to TW but general for Firefox technology.

Final words:

PLEASE use the bugtracker to report any problems. I have been swamped with email and messages on forum and mailing lists. I can not keep up with that. Use the bugtracker, please, otherwise, your bug might simply be overlooked and/or ignored. Sorry, I can't check every forum or mailing list, that's what bugtrackers are used for.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
And from what little testing I've done, the latest version of TW seems much less stable than previous releases (probably because they totally rewrote how multithreading was handled).

I set up a boot partition with no WBStartup and latest Timberwolf is much more stable when it has the system all to itself. I'll need to do some more testing to see if there is a problem with one particular WBStartup program or if Timberwolf just doesn't play well with others My crashes are gone with WBStartup disabled but I'm still trying to consistantly reproduce some TImberwolf freezes (Timberwolf window and not the whole system).

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Awesome! Keep up the great work!!!

--Barry Steenbergh from Timberwolf on my X-1000

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TonyW
Quote:

Look under the toolsmenu and select options, and a preferences window opens.
Select content icon at the top, and the second option on that page is Fonts & Colours.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Swoop wrote:
@TonyW
Quote:
Look under the toolsmenu and select options, and a preferences window opens.
Select content icon at the top, and the second option on that page is Fonts & Colours.
But those are the page content fonts, rather than the GUI fonts, aren't they?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
tfrieden wrote:
Back button:

[...]

I had an occasional problem with it as well, when coming from another window back to the browser window (like, from bookmarks). It might be related to window activation (the window does not get the proper focus). I'll check that.
Usually, also for me, the back button is just grey and does nothing. But I think I saw a couple of times that it started working after having had a second tab open. So you might be on the right track with the window activation/focus suspicion.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Rogue wrote:
If you are having trouble, please make sure to delete the old installation, including the user profile, and retry. An old database that is not correctly initialized may interfere, especially if the back button doesn't work.

Note that there is no way this update can be more unstable than the last one. The last beta had much more fundamental changes.

ok removed the user profile & reinstalled but still getting hangups every so often, tried rebooting but still same here.

Good to see my 2 favourite add-ons on my pc notebook working so far on this release: Download Stausbar 0.9.10 and Screenshoter 1.01

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Thom:
Quote:

Bookmark import:
I tried importing bookmarks, naturally, and for me it works (exported from my Window installation). TW does not support OWB's format, so there is nothing I can do. Sorry, not going to happen

I wasn't asking or expecting that you would import OWB-format bookmarks. I am quite prepared to edit the file myself (it's only an ASCII list), but I don't know what the required HTML format is and RC1 does not (here, anyway) save any bookmarks of its own, that I could Export.

Perhaps someone with working bookmarks could export an HTML file and post part of it so that I could copy the format. Just the header, trailer and one or two items from the middle would be enough.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue Quote:

It looks like I was using Beta 4 (not RC1), so the problem could easily be due to those "fundamental changes".

I tried starting with a clean new profile, but it hangs when I try to import my Firefox bookmarks (100% CPU 'forever' on X1000 and no GUI response). I had no problems doing this previously.

I'll try updating to RC1 (oops), to see if this helps. I can't try moving the Profile to an FFS partition, since I haven't used FFS in over 10 years (no suitable partitions).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@All

Got GR's every time I started Timberwolf, so deleted entire original installation and replaced with new version, and all seems well. Seems more stable and a tint bit faster than before but could use a major speed boost here on my SAM460!

I lost all my bookmarks but was able to import my bookmarks from MUIOWN very easily

SAM 460 with 2GB or RAM, 1000GB HD, 4 port SATA, DVDRW drive and Radeon HD 4650 GFX card.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Been using it for two days now and its a lot better than before, its a lot faster and more stable on my 460.
Not having any of the problems some have been having, even imported my bookmarks from my windows firefox installation no problem.

Very happy with this version and looking forward to the final release.
Its getting harder to choose between MUIOWB and Timberwolf now although MUIOWB may just have the edge due to its speed.

Well done to those involved :) :)

AmigaOne X5000
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »