Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Re: New beta available
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quite pleased to get this to play with after a day battle ing with MSIE.

Timberwolf on my SAM renders the opening book on this page I'm working on faster than MSIE 8 in standards mode on a significantly faster PC

http://www.sallystrawberry.com/newsite/story.php

Even though I know thats partly down to a bug in MSIE (it works at full speed in quirks mode) it's still quite gratifying!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

It is worth to add necessary features to ram-handler ? I mean there is no stop-factors to doing so, just need update ram-handler more ?

I doubt it's necessary. There has been some modification recently, but ram-handler is not a file system per se, it probably can't support it fully.

Thanks for all the bug reports, they are all quite detailed.

edit: Fixed quoted block

Edited by Rigo on 2012/3/28 22:00:24
Edited by Rigo on 2012/3/28 22:01:33
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Using that page as an example again I can see that the fonts seem to render slightly wider than on the linux and windows firefoxes. The text comes slightly further down the page (of the opened book) even though I have set just about every font ccs value to make it fit correctly. (CSS that works exactly in chrome, IE and linux / windows firefox)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

fc-cache -c -f and it should be (as i read in the previous readme file)

fc-cache -r -f

Actually, they are both wrong, it's -s -f (for system and force). I try to get the damn letters right in the next version of the readme

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ all

Thanks for the detailed report and the new donations. Very welcome. Timberwolf is a massive project, so any support is greatly appreciated.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Wow, what can I say. Now incredibly fast boot time on an AmigaONE X1000. Bookmarks even seem to work well now.

Well done. Another donation on the way.

TrevorD

AmigaOne X1000 betatester
Go to top
Re: New TimberWolf beta available
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
First post with new beta on amigans.net.

I'll comment further later after a few more web sites.

---
redfox

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
thanks for the second beta. Now just wait to finish work and go home try it out :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just tested it for a few minutes this morning.
Bookmarks still don't work here. When I try to bookmark a webpage, simply nothing happens. The bookmark is not remembered? Am I doing something especially wrong? I mean, I'm not used to firefox (-- been in love with opera on non-amiga systems ;) ) but pressing the "+" Button or chosing "Bookmark this page" from the menu should bookmark a page right? But "showing all bookmarks" from the menu opens a window which is empty.

I deleted the old timberwolf-beta directory and then uncompressed the new timerbolf-beta to the same location.
Without having intensively studied the readme, I guess, it's all what I have to do, right?

Hope, to have more time tonight.

nexus

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Bookmarks don't work here either, on JXFS. On a SFS partition (provided it is a brand new install) they seem to work fine, although importing from NetSurf, closing Timberwolf and reopening seems to lose them all.

Also it takes an incredibly long time to start up, which I'm going to blame on fontconfig.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Yes I installed Timberwolf to an SFS partition and applied the fc-cache command etc.

Incredibly fast on an AmigaOne X10000. Start-up now ~5 seconds.

Trevor

AmigaOne X1000 betatester
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ nexus

Yeah, basically, if you wipe your old directory, then it should work. I don't understand really why it doesn't work for so many people. I use TW on an FFS partition, and bookmarks work without problem, although I'm mostly using the debug enabled build.

@ chris

regrading fontconfig: If we ever find the time, we'll probably write our own font backend for Cairo. That way, we can get rid of fontconfig.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
By the way, something you might also want to check out:

Under the tools menu, there should be an entry "open error console" or similar. If you get problems, like not being able to store bookmarks or saving stuff, check this console for possible warnings and/or errors.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
copying messages doesn't work here, it would've helped but when adding a bookmark I get "Componenet returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nslTransactionManager.doTransaction]
nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location. JS frame :: resource:///modules/PlaceUlUtils.jsm :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 1393" data: no]

I deleted the old folder, extracted the archive to my SYS:Internet folder. It's using the SFS1 filesystem.

AOS 4.1 upd 4, A1 XE

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Sam440ep SFS\0

Load ~ 16 Sec.
Load Amigans site ~ 7 Sec.
Bookmarks work.

So far, so good.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@thomas
By the way, about suggestion to add warning that TW can'be run from RAM, did i understand right, that in final TW will works from RAM, or it still will crashes the same way as now ?

What point i tryint to make, is that when any new users (not someone who already in os4), will get a os, and then download TW and dblclick on the timberworld.lha , unarc will of course unpack (by default) everything to RAM. So, that new user will logicaly go to RAM and tryint to run it from it, what will lead to crash , and any crash in any SW at any time are bad, and "warning windowses" are better.

The same kind of warning will be good to have for everything where TW can't works properly : if it (for example) can't works from JXFS in some parts, then add warning window as well about.

That all will make TW looks better for anyone who will try to play with it. Of course the best choice will be to make it just works and from RAM:, and from anything else, but if that is annoing and routine/boring work, then even warning windowses can be better than crashes and/or non working parts because of filesystem. Crashes is always bad, and get rid off them are right way :) (all is imho of course)

EDIT: by the way, forget to ask : did the slow startup are the problem of fontconfig only ? If i remember right, all the previous betas (include 3.5) use fontconfig as well ? If so, then 3.5 beta starts for me (on my peg2) for 5 seconds if i remember right. The new 4.x betas, take about 12-14 seconds for startup. Can it be somehow reduced ? Maybe some sobjes are builds with debug info inside , so it take longer to load them to the memory ?

Edited by kas1e on 2012/3/29 19:02:31
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

I presume this problem will be fixed somehow, maybe it's only one of the usual problem that happen during a development ..

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
After doing that font config thing again with the correct command line options and running TW from a FFS2 partition TW is quite stable when compared running it from a JXFS partition and after using wrong command line options with fontconfig stuff.

@The Bros
Keep up the good work !

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

tfrieden wrote:
Quote:

fc-cache -c -f and it should be (as i read in the previous readme file)

fc-cache -r -f

Actually, they are both wrong, it's -s -f (for system and force). I try to get the damn letters right in the next version of the readme

I have had problems with bookmarks. They disappeared after reset.
So I wrote "fc-cache" again but with the right options (-s -f). Now all bookmarks
are OK, even after reset. Does it make any sense?

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
unarc will of course unpack (by default) everything to RAM.

No, (to my disappointment) UnArc does not default to RAM or in fact any location. You have to set the default location in the tooltypes.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 »