Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

AMIGASYSTEM, sTix, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Workbench context menu
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I am running OS4.1 upd3 on a A1XE-G3-800.

If I insert an audio cd, and try to use the right mouse button context menu, show all files and display by menu options do not do anything.
If I use the Workbench dropdown Window menu, the options do work.

Is this a bug, or is there a prefs setting I need to set?

Previously context menu Snapshot has not always worked, but the workbench icon menu snapshot option always has. So I wonder if this problem is getting worse?

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: Workbench context menu
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Works fine for me. Have you installed any other contextmenu.cfg files from os4depot or similar? Check the ascii file envarc:contextmenus.cfg to see if it's been modified or corrupted.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop
I can confirm the problem. The context menu works with data CDs but not with Audio CDs. It's strange that nobody has noticed this before.

@Severin
Did you test this with a commercial Audio CD? By that I mean a music album that you purchased. If the "Show > All FIles" context menu works on an Audio CD for you then there must be a problem with my system too. I have never altered the "contextmenu.cfg" file and it is the default one. Have you changed yours?

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin
Quote:
Works fine for me. Have you installed any other contextmenu.cfg files from os4depot or similar? Check the ascii file envarc:contextmenus.cfg to see if it's been modified or corrupted.

This is a clean update3 install, with no changes to config files, other than by using the system prefs. As Xenic said this is a commercial audio CD.
If I use the workbench/menu then the tracks are displayed with a def_icon aiff icon, but the context menu options don't work.

Should I post this on Hyperians blog?

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop
Quote:
Should I post this on Hyperians blog?

Yes but you might want to try some of my testing first. The name of my audio CD on WorkBench was "AudioCD_0700029C2C". I relabeled a USB stick with the same name with one number changed. The conntext menu didn't work with my relabeled USB stick either. Therefore I've concluded that the problem has something to do with the volume name (length?) and not the fact that the CD is an audio CD. Since ContextMenu is sending commands to WorkBench through the WB AREXX port, I turned on ARexx tracing to see what was going wrong. According to the trace output, none of the ARexx commands sent to WorkBench are working. The all show a failure code of 10. Also, the commands being sent to WorkBench appear to be truncated. When the context menu is opened for a volume with a short name, the commands succeed and do not appear to be truncated. It looks like an ARexx issue to me.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
ahhh... I didn't use a commercial cd, re tested and the bug is confirmed. there is an easy quick fix though...

Go into envarc:sys and call up the icon info for def_cd0.info (or def_cd.info, def_cd1.info etc. if needed). Change the type (second menu) to drawer (ramiga-2) then in the icon tap, change the 4 options to:

All Files By Name

Show Forward

Then save the icon(s) and either delete the copies in env: or reboot.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin
I think you missed the point. The problem isn't that you can't see the files on an audio CD if you want to; you can change the window display to "Show All Files" by using the main WorkBench menu "Window/Show". The problem is that you can't change how the files are shown with the CONTEXT MENU (the one that pops up when you press the right mouse button when the pointer is over the window) when the ContextMenus commodity is running. As I pointed out in my previous post, the problem isn't necessarily the fact that the window is for an audio CD but rather because of the volume name.

Edited by xenic on 2011/12/14 2:07:03

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
When I place an Audio CD in the drive and open it, I get no context menu at all, let alone not be able to show all files.

The disk icon gets one, not the opened drawer.

So definetly a bug of somekind.

I'm not sure that it's the volume name though. There nothing special about it, and if you create a drawer in ram with a name of the 'same type' the drawer is detected properly by context menus

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

The point is I gave you a quick fix to get you round the problem until it is fixed. A bug report has been submitted.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top

Register To Post