Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

imagodespira, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »
Re: USB Printer on OS4?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel

Ok, here it is:

#include <stdio.h>

static char initString[] = "\0\0\0\033\001@EJL 1284.4\n@EJL     \n\033@";

int main(){

FILE *printer fopen("PRT:""w+b");
 if(!
printer){

printf("ERROR: Could not open printer DOS device");
  return 
10;
 }

fprintf(printer"\e[%d\"r", sizeof(initString));
 fwrite(initString, 1, sizeof(initString), printer);
 fclose(printer);
 return 0;
}

I've changed it to use the PRT: DOS device which should be set up as:
/* $VER: PRT 52.1 (10.12.2006)
 * PRT: for A1 Amiga Hardware 
 */

EHandler  L:Port-Handler
Priority  
StackSize 
GlobVec   
= -1
Device    
printer.device
Unit      
Flags     
Control   
"PAR"

Just a note. Set up the EpsonColor driver to Grayscale 1 or 2. Don't use the colour setting because it will still try to print in colour, but will print in black four times over the same section.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

YAY

That's just plain MARVELLOUS

Thanks a bunch, Hans, i owe you one, now i can sit back and
wait for either a new driver to appear and/or a LAN printer
that fits my need (and wallet)

I can print

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Thanks, but no thanks...

Just a note. Set up the EpsonColor driver to Grayscale 1 or 2. Don't use the
colour setting because it will still try to print in colour, but will print in black
four times over the same section.

I returned my Epson Stylus C88 after talking to a rep. at - Support USA.

Only two enviroments: IBM or Apple.

Was seriouly asked how Amiga was spelled!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Snuffy

No printer manufacturer is going to say that Amiga is supported because none of them can be bothered writing drivers for it. Likewise, most of them won't put Linux on the supported list either because most of those drivers are made by third parties (sometimes by reverse-engineering the windows ones).

The little program listing I gave is an interim solution until we have an updated driver. It's a hack for people that already have one of these printers and want to use it with their Amiga, albeit at a reduced capacity. In fact, it's such a hack that I only released it because others showed an interest. It's a piece of test code that has been sitting on my hard-drive for about a year, unused.

You want support for modern printers right now, buy Turboprint. I haven't bought it because I can't justify paying over $100 for a piece of software to let a $100 printer work. Right now it looks like turboprint won't be updated so there's no guarantee that newer printers will be supported.

If you're looking for a printer that existing AmigaOS drivers will support, try an HP printer that supports PCL, or any printer that understands Postscript. Unfortunately, Postscript is only available on expensive printers.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

While gathering information concerning latest Epson printers ans OS4 I stumbled upon this old thread.

I have a Epson Stylus Photo RX640 connected to AmigaOne and I cannot get it to print anything (I am using OS4.1). I have changed the printer settings but when I try to print from for example Notepad nothing happens. I guess this printer needs the initcode.

The question is - for a non-coder like me, where can I find a compiled binary of your initcode program? Can you please compile it and upload the binary to OS4Depot?

"Ain't Got no cash, Ain't got no style, Ladies vomit when I smile, but does Zoidberg worry?"
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@GrumpyOldMan

Quote:

GrumpyOldMan wrote:
@Hans

The question is - for a non-coder like me, where can I find a compiled binary of your initcode program? Can you please compile it and upload the binary to OS4Depot?

Unfortunately my A1 is currently in a box on the Pacific ocean somewhere en-route to me New Zealand, so I can't compile it right now. I might do that later and upload it to my own website (hidden though). I don't want to put it on os4depot because it is really a dirty hack, not a printer driver. There is no chance that I will write a printer driver for newer printers because I no longer own one. I'm too busy with other projects anyway.

In the meantime, it is actually quite easy to compile it yourself. Download and install the latest public SDK and then copy the source-code from above to a file called newepsoninit.c (or call it whatever you like). Next open a shell window, change to the directory containing the source file and type:
gcc -o newepsoninit newepsoninit.c

You should now have a binary called newepsoninit.

Hans

P.S. I just checked Hyperion's server and I can't find the SDK, you may have to wait.

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@GrumpyOldMan

Try if the attached file works for you

edit: bah, cannot upload files :-/

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
@Severin

The easiest solution is not to buy Epson printers in the first place

That's kind of a dumb remark. How about just not buying Amiga computers
all to together and avoid any problems.

Epson Color Stylus IIs was the best printer I've used on classical Amiga.
Why not again?

I have to agree with Snuffy. Every manufacturer of every device will have issues, it's all about what you tolerate against what you get from it. I use an Epson printer for photography work because, basically, I've yet to find any other priter that can compete with it in terms of print quality or longevity. It's an Epson R1800. It's expensive to run with its 8 separate inks and rolls of paper, but I haven't had any hardware issues with them. As a contrast, we use HP Business Inkjets in work and they're constantly dying on us - some not recognising new cartridges, some going out of alignment, some just mechanically jamming. They get replaced under warranty, but we're now looking to move away from them. Besides, they were bloody slow, chewed through ink - even using up ink if you lifted the lid for example (why on Earth?) and were as expensive to run as my Epson without any of the advantages.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@GrumpyOldMan

Try this, I'm not sure about the spaces in the init string, I have left them in the string:

http://digilander.libero.it/varthall/newepsoninit

Varthall

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
First, many thanks for all for your help

@Varthall

I tried the execute the binary from shell but get a following error

4.Data:IBDownloads> execute newepsoninit
ELF???@EJL: Tuntematon k?sky

"Tuntematon k?sky" is "Unknown Command" in Finnish).

Any ideas what might go wrong?

"Ain't Got no cash, Ain't got no style, Ladies vomit when I smile, but does Zoidberg worry?"
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@GrumpyOldMan

Quote:

GrumpyOldMan wrote:

@Varthall

Execute is for running scripts, not for running binaries. Simply make sure that the binary is marked as executable (right-click -> icon -> get information and check that it is marked as executable), and then type newepsoninit.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@GrumpyOldMan

Quote:

GrumpyOldMan wrote:

@Varthall

Execute is for running scripts, not for running binaries. Simply make sure that the binary is marked as executable (right-click -> icon -> get information and check that it is marked as executable), and then type newepsoninit.

Hans

Ok, tried that - now I get a GR from printer.device. If I choose to ignore that and try printing from Notepad, nothing happens. Any ideas how to proceed?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@GrumpyOldMan

Quoting myself, make sure that your PRT: DOS device is:
Quote:
/* $VER: PRT 52.1 (10.12.2006)
* PRT: for A1 Amiga Hardware
*/

EHandler = L:Port-Handler
Priority = 5
StackSize = 2000
GlobVec = -1
Device = printer.device
Unit = 0
Flags = 0
Control = "PAR"

Also, make sure that your printer prefs is set to print to USB using the epson colour printer.

It is possible that Epson changed the protocol enough that the old epson driver won't work. I might try to find out a bit more about your particular printer.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

To my surprise, Epson have GPL'd drivers for Linux which can be downloaded here. The RX 640 appears to have the same init string as the CX8400 that I used to have, and uses the ESC/P-R language.

The code looks pretty clean, and I spied a function to convert a JPEG or Raster image to ESC/P-R output, so it may well be possible for someone with knowledge of the Amiga printer driver structure to make a driver by adapting this code. What I particularly like is that the ESC/P-R code has been separated into a lib, and is thus decoupled from all the CUPS/Linux specific stuff. However, that person would have to have one of these printers and time to do it, so that's not me.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@GrumpyOldMan

Quoting myself, make sure that your PRT: DOS device is:
Quote:
/* $VER: PRT 52.1 (10.12.2006)
* PRT: for A1 Amiga Hardware
*/

EHandler = L:Port-Handler
Priority = 5
StackSize = 2000
GlobVec = -1
Device = printer.device
Unit = 0
Flags = 0
Control = "PAR"

Also, make sure that your printer prefs is set to print to USB using the epson colour printer.

It is possible that Epson changed the protocol enough that the old epson driver won't work. I might try to find out a bit more about your particular printer.

Hans

My printer.device is identical. Regarding the Epson colour printer driver - I may have goofed its installation. The original install script did not work for me (it requires a program called c/installer which apparently is not part of OS4.1). So I looked at the install script and kinda executed it manually.

Will try again

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@GrumpyOldMan

Remove the c/ in front of Installer and try again.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

ZeroG wrote:
@GrumpyOldMan

Remove the c/ in front of Installer and try again.

Thanks for the tip - the install now works ok. Also, the initcode compiled by Varthall now executes without problem and yes, I can actually get the RX640 to print text now!

Many thanks to Hans for the initcode, Varthall for the binary and the rest of you for the advice and support. You have made this grumpy old man much less grumpy now!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@Hans

To my surprise, Epson have GPL'd drivers for Linux which can be downloaded here. The RX 640 appears to have the same init string as the CX8400 that I used to have, and uses the ESC/P-R language.

The code looks pretty clean, and I spied a function to convert a JPEG or Raster image to ESC/P-R output, so it may well be possible for someone with knowledge of the Amiga printer driver structure to make a driver by adapting this code. What I particularly like is that the ESC/P-R code has been separated into a lib, and is thus decoupled from all the CUPS/Linux specific stuff. However, that person would have to have one of these printers and time to do it, so that's not me.

Hans

Should somebody decide to take on this noble task I hereby volunteer for a betatester job with my RX 640

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Just want to report that the old Espon Stylus Colour CX7300 (thrown out from workplace) works just fine with Hans init code (renamed to PInit and placed in C: for those printing moments )

That's about it, and as far as PostScript Printers are going I'm looking at the C5750 / C5950 but it's gonna cost about $1000.00 NZ. What are you looking at Hans as in a PS Printer?

Funny thing is the last time I brought a Printer was quite some time ago and that was $1100 second hand... a HP500C and it works just fine today running off the A4000PPC Classic OS4

edit:

That's the one question I forgot to ask, I take it these means the other 3 colour cartridges are pretty much of no use? unless of course I just use it as a photocopier (colour) non related to cpu operations.

does anyone know how many pages it'll do before (as in just txt no gray scale pictures) before it needs replaced?

Edited by Slayer on 2009/2/14 8:02:25
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:

Slayer wrote:

That's about it, and as far as PostScript Printers are going I'm looking at the C5750 / C5950 but it's gonna cost about $1000.00 NZ. What are you looking at Hans as in a PS Printer?

I still want colour, one that works with Amiga OS without me having to write drivers (I simply don't have the time). I like the multifunction printers that double as a scanner/photocopier; they're one of the few "3-in-1" devices that is actually better than buying each item separately.

Unfortunately, a PS printer with all of the above is really expensive.

Quote:

That's the one question I forgot to ask, I take it these means the other 3 colour cartridges are pretty much of no use? unless of course I just use it as a photocopier (colour) non related to cpu operations.

It still uses small amounts of colour ink, and the printer won't work without the other cartridges being in place.

Hans

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »