Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Why are my low-res modes missing? [fixed]
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I have quite a number of screenmodes defined in my monitor tooltypes, however none of them are particulary exotic. They have been working fine, however recently (I assume Update 3 is the cause) only 800x600 and higher are selectable in screenmode prefs.

Has anybody else had this problem? I find the low resolution modes incredibly useful for full-screen emulation purposes, but now all my emulators are showing up in utterley ridiculous/inappropriate screenmodes.

Here are my monitor tooltypes (but they haven't changed since update 3 and were working fine beforehand):

CMPLENGTH=9
BOARDNAME=Radeon M9
VSYNCMIN=60
VSYNCMAX=75
HSYNCMIN=31500
HSYNCMAX=60200
MODE=320x240@75
MODE=400x300@65
MODE=640x480@60
MODE=800x600@75
MODE=1024x768@70
FAKENATIVEMODES=No
INTERRUPT=Yes

Despite "FakeNativeModes=No" they have always shown up and are currently the only way of getting down to 640x480 (but I'd like to also go lower!)

Edited by Chris on 2011/10/10 0:27:27
Go to top
Re: Why are my low-res modes missing?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris:

Use the "D" option for the screenmodes below 640 x 480.

Example:

MODE=320x240@75D

The "D" option is another of the many undocumented features of the monitor driver system. It enables "doublescan", which seems to be needed since Update 3 for very low resolution modes.

I think there was some enhancement made to the monitor driver system, as I noticed better display quality with Update 3.

Maybe the calculations regarding the pixelclock were enhanced, so that certain standard modes meet the VESA requirements, finally. That may be the reason for your 640 x 480 mode not working anymore, as you will most possibly need the "D" option for such low frequencies. 60Hz is far below VESA standard 640 x 480 mode, which is 640x480@75 normally.

Remember to update the prefs of all applications that specify their own screen, as screenmode IDs will "move" unpredictably.

Almost forgot: Watch out for the vertical frequencies, if you use the "D" option. Its possible that your display wont work with e.g. "75D", so you may be forced to use lower frequencies.

Edit: You may need higher frequencies, not lower.

Edited by whose on 2011/10/9 23:55:21
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
That fixed it, thanks. 640x480 I bumped up to 70Hz (no D) and it was quite happy.

The reason for the crazy vertical frequency values is because my monitor refuses to recognise any mode below 640x480 for the purposes of storing settings - it sees them all as the same 640x480 mode if they all have the same frequency. Change the frequency and the monitor stores the posiion etc correctly for each mode.

It's an odd feature but overall this monitor has an excellent picture (best I'd seen at the time I bought it), so I'm willing to live with it It has an annoying light patch where I damaged it though.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Glad I could help with this

Hehe, yes, really an odd feature I use some old, but still nice 21" HP CRT monitor here. Huge thing, but with nice features like colour calibration (automatic!), two VGA inputs switchable by hand etc. It seems to have a quite big NVRAM for storing screenmode settings, as I have a dozen different screenmodes, and all are remembered.

Go to top

Register To Post