Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »
Re: Openoffice.org for Kids, OS4 porting
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'd like some news too..

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
+1 :)

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
it look like the only changes lately were on :

27 January 2011
Fixed wrong check in set_soenv.in for Amiga OS r1140

http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/Changelogs

also, looking at the problems, software installed, is the AmigaOS4 SDK updated to correct these issues ?

http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/EnvironmentSetup/AmigaOS

Is there a functional donating system to this project ?

Maybe even for different milestones, $$$ is the most effecteve incentive to program for Amiga.

had a functioning donation system been built up, during this time we would have a finished product and $5,000 potted by now.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Perhaps this is a job for Kickstarter again.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
A project like this can quickly burn you out unless you have steady and good progress, which is far from likely.

I got a mild burn-out from MUI-OWB and I wasn't even the main porter, and it was from a very very similar OS. Since then I've lost all interest in programming. Every line I write, at home for Amiga, or at work is because I have to. I don't want to anymore. If this dude shares 1% of my feelings, don't expect OO4kids to ever be finished..

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
He sent me a bug report about perl within the last fortnight, so that suggests he's still working....

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Denill

:-/

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
He sent me a bug report about perl within the last fortnight, so that suggests he's still working....

I'll take that as very good news. :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79

Yea I know. But he seems to still be working though, so that's a good sign :)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@All

I'll think we'll have an update soon. Why days have only 24 hours?

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Why do we sleep at all :)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Deniil wrote:
Since then I've lost all interest in programming. Every line I write, at home for Amiga, or at work is because I have to. I don't want to anymore.
You need to take that as a signal to do something completely different for a while. Suddenly one day you will think of some program (or new feature in an existing one) which you can't wait to start implementing. That's when you should come back to programming, not before (excluding of course at work, but that's a different story).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Well, I did just that during my vacation, but 4 weeks was not nearly long enough. 6 month would have done the trick. Also I do feel some pressure to get Annotate v3.0 out the door. Basically just the MUI version for the lesser OSes to be finished. It's just so boring. And now the pressure for MUI-OWB has picked up again with a gazillion stupid impossible to find/reproduce/fix MUI related crap bugs. I really don't feel like hunting ghosts when MUI is buggy.

I want two things: Do downhill biking much more often and meat girls. I actually started on a course in salsa dance :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@deniil
I have to agree with nbache.

You wrote Quote:
Also I do feel some pressure to get Annotate v3.0 out the door. Basically just the MUI version for the lesser OSes to be finished. It's just so boring.

Unfortunately that is exactly the WRONG reason to restart coding, and I'd guess will make things (much?) worse not better .

Quote:
And now the pressure for MUI-OWB has picked up again with a gazillion stupid impossible to find/reproduce/fix MUI related crap bugs.

As much as I like MUI-OWB, forcing yourself to do boring crap now will be far worse in the long run: One day you will be unable to even force yourself to do this, and then you may never work on MUI-OWB ever again. Better to stop work now, and hope that in 3-6 months you feel like fiddling again (because you want to scratch some itch, not because people are complaining). The sooner you stop feeling pressure to work on something you currently have no interest in, the sooner you may actually feel like working on it again.

I think the best advice is to code *for yourself*, not for other people. If you don't feel like coding for yourself, then don't do any coding at all. Given enough time you should feel like coding for yourself again (perhaps to add some small feature, or fix some little bug which has been annoying you).

For myself, to avoid getting burnt-out again, I decided to concentrate on stuff I am interested in. This often has the side-effect of producing something other people may be interested in. (I do still try to fix bugs reported by people, and to a lesser extent add requested features... but if they are too hard then I will simply delay dealing with them until I feel like it, or until new developments make them easier to deal with.)

Edited by ChrisH on 2011/9/14 11:15:58
Edited by ChrisH on 2011/9/14 11:19:34
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Mmm, well. I still feel some pressure though even if I "decide" not to do anything. MUI-OWB I haven't touched since june or something.

The thing is that I can justify myself not to "work" if I have something else meaningful to do, like going to a concert, dance, downhill, party, the car broke down or whatever.

But sitting at home with fingers hurting too much to play any more guitar and just surfing facebook and AW.net only to "avoid" programming doesn't quite work

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@elwood

Good to know it's still being worked on.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Antique wrote:
@elwood

Good to know it's still being worked on.

The work continues but slowly. This project is huge and yes, there are (will be) many reasons that could block or delay it. This is too early to give news that will give too much hope.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

No real news but I talked with Eric yesterday and I'll talk about the current status tonight when I'm back home.

Bye

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Good to hear work is still being made! I'd love to have OOLite on the Amiga. Would make it much more complete.

Please don't waste effort into making it look "Amiga-like", just create a working version first. Don't care if the menus aren't native Amiga menus and buttons doesn't look exactly like ReAction.

Complaining about stuff like that on such a huge project like OOLite or TimberWolf is just childish and shows you have no idea what so ever what kind of effort it takes to rip apart a solid framwork only to hack in some Amiga "native" elements that will also be much less feature-rich (such as Amiga menus only allowing one level of sub-menus).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
+1 about the amiga-like

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »